Sub-Par Freshman Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krankxl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I recently finished my freshman year of undergrad at a state school and didn't do as well as I had hoped.

My cumulative gpa so far is a 3.20 and was wondering what to do to make my med school application stand out when I apply except maintain an exceptional GPA from now on.

I went to go see a doctor a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with ADD and am now taking medication for it. Do you think that med schools might place less weight on my freshman year GPA given that I maintain above a 3.70-4.0 the remaining years of undergrad?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't freak out about it. A lot of people have trouble adjusting to college. Get good grades and it won't hinder your chances.

You'll be absolutely fine, many understand there will be a "transition" period, and as long as you have good grades/upward trend from here on out, you've got nothing to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDNers,

I recently finished my freshman year of undergrad at a state school and didn't do as well as I had hoped.

My cumulative gpa so far is a 3.20 and was wondering what to do to make my med school application stand out when I apply except maintain an exceptional GPA from now on.

I went to go see a doctor a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with ADD and am now taking medication for it. Do you think that med schools might place less weight on my freshman year GPA given that I maintain above a 3.70-4.0 the remaining years of undergrad?

Thanks

What happened?

Any advice?

Just bad time management and lack of motivation on my part. I know I could have easily gotten a better GPA by simply putting in more effort and not going out all the time

Just bad time management and lack of motivation on my part. I know I could have easily gotten a better GPA by simply putting in more effort and not going out all the time

Just answered your own question. Put some of those hours in the bars into your books and passion developing experiences and you'll be fine.