Submit AMCAS without LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prodromo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Do I have to have my LOR's in before I submit AMCAS? Is it advisable to wait for my LOR's to get in before I submit? My professors are dragging their feet and I don't want to wait too long before I submit. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Try using the "Search" function.

But to answer your questions, NO LOR's do not have to be in to submit. You can submit whenever you want.

Verification wont occur until the application is completely filled out and all transcripts recieved.

LORs will automatically be sent to schools as the are recieved.

I already submitted my AMCAS, can I add more LOR's later? I just moved to a new city, started a new job and volunteering at a new hospital. I may ask some people for letters in a augustish...

Members don't see this ad :)
My adviser told me to wait until the LOR's are in so if for some reason some LOR's are lost or do not arrive on time the application won't be up in the air!! I am in the same boat as you, I really want to submit asap but I am waiting for one of my LOR's so after I submit everything is already set and ready to go!!

does anyone else have any suggestions?!

My adviser told me to wait until the LOR's are in so if for some reason some LOR's are lost or do not arrive on time the application won't be up in the air!! I am in the same boat as you, I really want to submit asap but I am waiting for one of my LOR's so after I submit everything is already set and ready to go!!

LOR have nothing to do with your primary, except for the fact that you use AMCAS to send them to schools later on. You can submit your primary without letters. It makes absolutely no sense to wait on submitting your primary because your letters aren't ready.

just submit. better to be verified sooner and worry about LORs later.

Thanks, im probably going to submit this friday but i wasn't sure if i should wait till monday the most (does the weekend make any difference?)

so do you guys add all the letters that will be arriving or the ones you have for sure and add the rest later on?!

Thanks, im probably going to submit this friday but i wasn't sure if i should wait till monday the most (does the weekend make any difference?)

so do you guys add all the letters that will be arriving or the ones you have for sure and add the rest later on?!

i added all the ones that would be arriving (which for me is only two, my committee packet and one other one). and i would say just submit already. no sense in waiting over the weekend... every application that gets in front of yours means it will take longer for you to be verified.

I added all letters that would be arriving. If you know the prof will write you one just add it now and get the letter ID. If they end up never writing the letter for you it really doesnt matter, amcas and your schools wont like penalize you or anything for the letter never coming.