Submit application now or after the DAT? NEED ADVICE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobeDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone says to submit as early as possible. But at the same time schools dont look at an incomplete application...right? I heard they put it aside until DAT scores and everything is mailed, then they consider it. (correct me if i'm wrong). So, I thought it won't make a big difference if I submit now since it will be considered an incomplete application (again, pls correct me if i'm wrong). I'm currently studying for the DAT and will probably take it very late August or even early September...i know it's late, but I rather have a competetive score than apply early with low scores, especially since my gpa is on the low side...3.254...that's why I'm aiming for high DATs.

I already filled out my application but I still need to polish up the personal statement...right now, it's still a 2 page rough draft (still needs a lot of work). One of the three professors submitted the recommendation letter and I'm still waiting for the other two to submit. Other than that, the application is ready to go.

My question is, should I finish up the personal statement now and submit right away (even before all the recommendation letters are submitted)...or focus on studying for the DAT now, finish the personal statement and submit the application after I take the test? your advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Now, without question. The reason? It takes AADSAS a few weeks to process, verify and send your application out. Dental schools won't look at your application until your DAT scores come in but by sending it in later it will take longer for them to get your application. Your DAT scores will be sent to them much faster than the AADSAS application process.

It takes your AADSAS application on average 4-6 weeks to be processed and verified before being sent out to schools, so finish your personal statement and submit it ASAP. The LOR can still be submitted after u submit your app, as long as you have designated your writers in advance. Try to send your transcripts right away too, right before you submit your app so u can speed up the process. Good luck on those DATs!!!