Submit now or wait for Fee Assistance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p4m123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to submit my amcas application but have a pending FAP application. My parents applied for a tax extension and told me optimistically they would have their tax documents by the end of this week. I'm not sure if I should wait and likely submit my amcas two weeks from now when my fap would (hopefully) be approved, or just bite the bullet and submit now. Obviously, I don't want to pay so many application fees but I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage if I apply so late, especially considering processing times are only going up. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously I don’t know your financial situation; whether the primary fee is worth the potential advantage of submitting now is a choice you have to make. Look at how long it takes to verify now vs two weeks from now and make an informed decision.
As someone who could not afford the primary fees, the FAP was a godsend. Having gone through this process last year, I can tell you that as long as you complete everything by Labor Day you will not be at disadvantage. If you choose to wait, you can pre-write or edit your secondaries during that time so you have them polished and ready to go.

Hi everyone! so I had FAP last year and thought that I do not need to apply for the program! However I realized this when I wanted to submit my application. I submitted FAP then applied to only one school! Before doing this I contacted AAMC and the representative told me I could apply! I have been trying to reach AAMC constantly but they do not pick up the phone

Today I realized hat I can not submit an application before being FAP approved! I am approved now and I can not afford AMCAS without receiving FAP... I had to borrow money from friends to apply to that one school to be an early applicant! Any suggestions or experience with this would be highly appreciated