Submit primary before or after MCAT re-take score release?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miamipremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently re-took the MCAT and my score release date is July 6th. I'm wondering whether or not to submit my primary application before getting my new score. It'd be nice to submit prior to July 6th so that I'll have the option for schools not to see my new score, just in case I didn't improve. Plus I'd be applying earlier. On the other hand, if I submit with just my old score, I fear I may be automatically weeded out by schools who auto-eliminate those with lower MCAT scores. When should I submit, do you think I'll be eliminated as a potential candidate from schools if I submit before my new score is released?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The question is more how confident you are that you improved. Once you submit, all schools will end up seeing all your scores as @gyngyn said. Most schools won't screen but for those that do, email them to ask if they'll hold your app until your 2nd MCAT is in (they probably will). But if there's a chance your 2nd MCAT was worse you might want to wait before submitting at all