Submitted my primary! Feedback on my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnArabiaNight

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I finally brought myself up to courage needed to press the submit button on the AMCAS. I submitted it today. Just wanted some feedback about my selection of med schools. I have a total GPA of 3.52 and a BCPM 3.68. On my MCAT I'm shooting for a 30-32.

Creighton
Drexel
Duke
G. Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Howard
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry
NY Med College
Saint Louis U
Brody School of Med
U of Colorado
U of Michigan
U of North Carolina
Virgina Commonwealth U
Wake Forest U
Wayne State
Yale

What do you guys think?

If you're wondering about my ECs, I had to work full time through college, thus I didn't volunteer at all. (Long story) But all that is explained on my primary.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't volunteer at all? That could be fatal.

Mods, this needs to be moved to the what are my chances sub-forum. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any clinical experience? If not, consider deferring.

So it wasn't completely NO volunteering at all, but my volunteering was very minimal comparatively. I mean I would hope that adcom would take into account that i was working full time while in school?

Also, in regards to my school choices is that a decent spread?

P. S. sorry for posting in the wrong part of the forum, I'm new to this group.

If you don't have any clinical experience, you will be wasting your time and money applying this cycle. Wait a year and get some experience.

If you do have some clinical experience, I would drop the reach schools like Harvard, Yale, and probably schools like GW and Colorado. Get a copy of the current MSAR, that will give you some guidelines on where your stats will be most competitive.

Harvard, Yale, Duke will be extremely tough with your GPA and MCAT even if you had a huge amount of volunteering/ medical experience. Their average MCATs (according to MSAR) 37q (duke/hatvard) 35q(yale) and average GPAs lie in the 3.8-3.9 range. That would be a huge uphill battle. I would save my money and apply to other, more realistic, "reach/hope" schools.

Instead of those elite schools you might want to try more private schools. Maybe Tulane, Loyola U. in Chicago, or Boston U.

Good luck!! You'll find your spot.