submitted PCOM today, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonathanamine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
nevermind

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, but without sounding rude, are you kidding?

All of your posts that I saw have been on pre-allo (and apparently you have not yet received any acceptances, are waitlisted, and maybe getting a little nervous...?), but you've suddenly had a revelation and want to be a DO? You are going to need to do some fast talking if you do get an interview at PCOM to convince them that this is not a last-ditch effort.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but this is the rest of your professional life we are talking about. If you truly have had a revelation, that's great. Otherwise, I'd say just hang tight and see what happens with your other apps. If your stats are in line with PCOM I am sure they are in line with most of the allo schools you've applied to and that you will get in somewhere, or get off a waitlist if you are on one.

best of luck.

sj

Originally posted by Jonathanamine
nevermind

What happened to your post? Hey, don't feel badly. I don't know if you erased your post today because of us, but you shouldn't feel bad. It happens every year around this time. MD schools really are more elite and selective about who they deem as their chosen ones. Sometimes there is no rhymn and reason to who they pick. If you don't get in this year, the great thing about it is there is always next year. Unless your MCAT is expiring.

For all those who wanted to switch from MD to DO, do yourselves a favor, use these next 6 months to read up on the DO education, shadow a DO, do whatever you need to get your application ready and then apply again in June. YOu will lose a year, but it won't be so frantic as it would be trying to get all your ducks in a row so to speak for this cycle.

As to PCOM, they are the only school I have not heard back from since my seconary was received by them. I never withdrew my application there because I wanted to see if they ever contacted me. So I don't know about PCOM, sorry.

Hey good luck. It sounds like you are having a hard time now, and I wanted you to know, it will be ok. Chin up. We are here for you
wave.gif

P.S. if I am way off base, I am sorry. Sometimes I pick up on things that people don't say. But I don't mean to offend, so if I am wrong about what I am saying here, forgive me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually didn't you apply to DO schools already this year. Were you just going to add some more schools? In fact you interviewed somewhere at a DO school, didn't you? How did that go? Or am I getting you confused with someone else?:confused:

AMY you are a sweetheart and I wish that I frantically tried to apply last minute to DO schools last year so I could hear your advice.

This past year I have done exactly what AMY suggested above and I found out that the DO approach and I really click. I am starting in an osteopathic medical school this fall.

The post that the OP deleted (I didn't even know you could do that!) said that he just recently had a "revelation" about the DO approach and was applying even though it was late in the game, and wanted info on a PCOM secondary.

Sorry, but the more I think about it, that just rubs me the wrong way. I mean, educate yourself and apply to both schools from the get-go, then you can have a choice if it comes down to it (unless he truly didn't know until now that DO schools were a viable alternative, which I'd find hard to believe). It just looks so much like a last-ditch effort. Those folks, if they get into a DO school and not an allopathic one, often make the most unsatisfied students.

I wish I could be as positive about everything as you are, Miss Amy B. I hope your sunshine lasts...'cause you are gonna need it next year (right about midwinter especially...) :)

I'm not sure what the first message was here but from what Ive gathered...

Its not too late to submit a PCOM secondary. Arent they still interviewing? ALso, you have to keep in mind people are holding onto acceptances, waiting for their for first choice schools to accept them. Don't think its over. Even if u hear from them kinda late..u still have a chance. I'm a PA resident and I know of other friends who applied before me but didnt hear from PCOM yet. But I got an interview and acceptance. Likewise, Ive applied to UMDNJ and NYCOM and they havent contacted me at all. Not sure if these schools have a priority for their state residents.

Call PCOM to make sure your file is complete and just ask them when about ull be invited for an interview. Believe in yourself. The last thing you should do is, give up. If u dont believe in urlself, How do u expect others to?

Good Luck.

Thanks. I was actually going to delete my post after doing a search last night, but thought I would leave it there for someone contiplating a switch from MD to DO. I remembered talking with Jonathanamine about other things so I searched posts and I was right. He did apply DO much earlier in the process, back in July. I had read his post but had to leave before I replied and I couldn't remember what he had written. But he did indeed apply a long time ago.

Hi sophiejane, Me positive about things:p You are right, I wonder how happy I will be at the end of my 1st block as an MSI.:D Actually I wasn't postitive about anything in 2002, that is why SDN didn't see me around after not clearing the waitlist at my only choice left. Long story, not going into it here, but I was, to say the least, devistated. I have never felt sooo low in all my life and I hope I never do.

I know where these posters are coming from. This cycle is winding down and with people not having acceptances this time in their lives is miserable. They have invested soo much of themselves just to get to the end of the road and feel like them have no where to go. I know, I was there in 2002.

Then I literally had to pick myself up and start living again. I made sure I didn't watch anything medicine related, didn't talk about medicine or med school (which was hard since my best friend got in that year), had my husband take my kids to the doctor because I couldn't face it, basically cut myself off from anything in the medical field. I had to for my own sanity. It took awhile and we actually had to move away from the school that I was so attached to and that had let me down.

But I finally started to feel like my old self and thought.... What in the h--l am I doing here. I am NOT going to let this stop me, NOT going to let them stop me. And then started to rethink what I wanted to do as a doctor. I cam to the conclusion (after dealing with D.C. traffic) that I was really happy living in a rural area, so I changed my personal statement from a huge focus on pediatric oncology to rural family practice. I also applied to Do schools this time. What a difference a few years and a personal statement chacnge made. I heard back from almost all the schools I applied to interviews and accetances followed and I will be attending med school this year.

So why am I writing this? Not to brag but to show people you can get knocked down, but it will be up to you to pull yourself up and try again. Literally one semester of all C's (grandmother died during my finals) and a low PS score on MCAT (6 yikes) almost kept me from going to med school. DO schools were willing to look over that one semester without even batting an eye. MD schools have grilled me about it during every interview.

SO I say, if you failed this year. Check into DO and read all you can. Shadow a DO, talk to people, ask questions on SDN. And then go for it.

Sorry to preach on, but I know this is going to be rough time for many people here on SDN and I just wanted to let them know alot of us have been where they are right now.

Sorry for the long post. You know me I like to ramble on and on. :laugh:

wow amy b!!! (tear falling from eye) your post was really touching.

i know exactly where you're coming from. i have a 2.77 science gpa, i took the dreaded mcat twice and i ended up with a 25p. last year seemed so depressing and frustrating, i paid thousands of dollars for 35 md rejections. i interviewed at 2 schools and i got into st. georges in the caribbean... needless to say i chose to re-apply and spend another year of my life in a realm of uncertainty, but full of hope.

i didn't want to sell myself short. i had to try one more time. i was traveling around the states having the time of my life. i moved back home last june, re-took the mcat, re-applied and i got into pcom, tucom, and wait-listed at umdnj. it feels great to be in a position to actually turn down interviews at md schools.

i volunteered with a do for a month to educate myself right before my interviews. i've done all of the pre-med crap and i'm happy in retrospect that i wasn't accepted into an md program last year because i WANT to be a do. a year of rejection taught me to seek a more human form of medicine.

for those of you who feel lost, or are avoiding the thoughts of uncertainty, just hang in there. improve your apps somehow, be persistent, make things happen, and stay focused on your dreams.

i wasn't even offered an interview at pcom until i called them and asked for one (in a nice way). they weren't even going to see me, but my perseverance paid off. i still can't believe i got in.

never give up. you will end up where you are meant to be and you are where you are suppose to be. one foot in front of the other and keep plugging away my friends. :hardy:

You all are terrific and I'm thoroughly impressed with your
tenacity and honesty! How honored I am to be entering
a profession with people like you!

:love:

Allison