Submitting More Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweatytshirt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I recently received secondaries from Howard and Meharry, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should submit them. I already have acceptances at 2 DO schools, and I have interviews at 4 MD schools. My question basically is: Is it even worth it to try to go to Howard and Meharry when I already have DO acceptances?

Sorry if this sounds kinda braggy. I'm just trying to see if it's even logical to throw away another $150 on secondaries right now, when there's no guarantee I'll even get an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my personal opinion. If you don't mind eating the secondary costs and taking a day to write the secondaries then why not submit them?

Congratulations on your 2 acceptances! I'd say only submit the secondaries if you have a strong preference for MD over DO.

Just my personal opinion. If you don't mind eating the secondary costs and taking a day to write the secondaries then why not submit them?

Congratulations on your 2 acceptances! I'd say only submit the secondaries if you have a strong preference for MD over DO.

I don't have a super strong preference for MD over DO, but I am interested in more competitive specialties like surgery. I want the best chance at getting a competitive surgery, and that's why I'm still interviewing. I graduated already, and I'm just working now. I have plenty of time to complete these secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think it’s worth it. You already have enough MD interviews and may get more. Just focus on doing well on interviews to get MD acceptances.

If i were in your shoes and really wanted to be a surgeon I would send those secondaries just because my risk appetite is incredibly low. The expected marginal benefit of sending in those secondaries probably doesn't even come near the $150 expenditure. As Lawper put it, you'll probably convert at least one of your II's into an acceptance. My philosophy has always been to do whatever possible to avoid the catastrophic outcome (in my case not getting into any program, in your case doing DO and somehow not being competitive for Surgery.)

Whatever you decide there's definitely not a right or wrong and I suspect you'll be fine regardless!