suboccipital release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilooo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you do sub occipital release? you're just supposed to push straight up, right??? That's the only way I've seen it done, so I'm just making sure Im not doing it wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Mild pressure and traction.

Reactions: 2 users
one of the few OMM techniques that impressed me enough to learn and practice it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so when you say traction, you're also supposed to pull Back and lateral?? is that right? My practical is in a few hours so thats why I'm asking.

I hated OMM, but I actually taught this to my wife for when I get headaches -- it's been a lifesaver for me. I imagine I'll teach it to many patients in the future.

so when you say traction, you're also supposed to pull Back and lateral?? is that right? My practical is in a few hours so thats why I'm asking.
You don't do any pulling. We were taught to put our fingers in the suboccipital triangles and let the head relax and "spill over" into our palms.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't the whole idea to simulate AT Still resting his head on a rope swing to relieve his headaches?

Reactions: 1 users
how do you do sub occipital release? you're just supposed to push straight up, right??? That's the only way I've seen it done, so I'm just making sure Im not doing it wrong.

I have no idea, I just let the body talk to me and tell me what it wants. Just wait and breath. When the sinus says "okay, I'm ready" I guide her into gentle release. Doesn't everyone get that OMM is a humanistic device which requires empathy just like any other form of holistic tx?

Last edited:
Dean of DO school: So what qualifies you to be the new head of the OMM department?

I have no idea, I just let the body talk to me and tell me what it wants. Just wait and breath. When the sinus says "okay, I'm ready" I guide her into gentle release. Doesn't everyone get that OMM is a humanistic device which requires empathy just like any other form of holistic tx?

Dean (shedding a single tear): damn son you hired AF

Reactions: 7 users