Subspecialization after General Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what subspecializations are open to one after completing general surgery residency? Are urology, neurosurgery, oto, and orthopaedics separate than general surg? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI, you can find an answer to this question by searching the forums. Generally, people who want to do Urology, Neurosurg, ENT, and Ortho match directly into those residencies. The aforementioned programs will then often have one year of General Surgery prior to moving on to the respective specializations (although Neurosurgery is in the process of phasing that first year of GS out). People who complete a residency in GS and want to subspecialize can do a fellowship for BE/BS GS graduates, some of which include Cardiothoracic, Vascular, Trauma/Critical Care, Plastics, Burn, Oncology, Laparoscopic, and Endocrine. Some programs offer an integrated path to subspecialization, where a student would do a certain number of GS years followed by their subspecialty training, and in many cases would be eligible to sit for the GS boards, as well as their respective subspecialty boards upon completion of their training.

I'm wondering what subspecializations are open to one after completing general surgery residency? Are urology, neurosurgery, oto, and orthopaedics separate than general surg? Thanks!

Nomination for Most Inappropriately-Placed Post of the the Day

Members don't see this ad :)

what?
are u just kidding?

Just FYI, you can find an answer to this question by searching the forums. Generally, people who want to do Urology, Neurosurg, ENT, and Ortho match directly into those residencies. The aforementioned programs will then often have one year of General Surgery prior to moving on to the respective specializations (although Neurosurgery is in the process of phasing that first year of GS out). People who complete a residency in GS and want to subspecialize can do a fellowship for BE/BS GS graduates, some of which include Cardiothoracic, Vascular, Trauma/Critical Care, Plastics, Burn, Oncology, Laparoscopic, and Endocrine. Some programs offer an integrated path to subspecialization, where a student would do a certain number of GS years followed by their subspecialty training, and in many cases would be eligible to sit for the GS boards, as well as their respective subspecialty boards upon completion of their training.

I'd like to nominate you for the Longsuffering award. Are you a medicine doc or sth? Most surgeons wouldn't explain as much. If you're an upper level or an attending in a surgical residency program...is your program still accepting apps?

well april 1st is like tomorrow, this could just be a great joke