Substance Abuse Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music_To_Medicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would working as a Chemical Dependency Counseling Assistant, and eventually a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, be viewed at patient contact? I'm currently completing a DIY post bacc, I won't be finished until 2021, and won't be applying until 2022. I currently hold certifications in Phlebotomy and Medical Assisting, but work as a med lab tech/phlebotomist. I have ~1100 hours of prior experience as an MA in addiction and I really find that area of medicine fulfilling. Between that prior exp and my current job I've got about ~3000 hours of direct pt contact, but to be honest I'm bored in my current position (no lateral movement unless I became a Med Tech), and to be fully honest the pay doesn't leave much wiggle room after bills. As someone who has already changed careers I don't want to appear flakey to adcoms, but I think moving into addiction counseling during these years before med school align more with my eventual goals with medicine.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Would working as a Chemical Dependency Counseling Assistant, and eventually a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, be viewed at patient contact? I'm currently completing a DIY post bacc, I won't be finished until 2021, and won't be applying until 2022. I currently hold certifications in Phlebotomy and Medical Assisting, but work as a med lab tech/phlebotomist. I have ~1100 hours of prior experience as an MA in addiction and I really find that area of medicine fulfilling. Between that prior exp and my current job I've got about ~3000 hours of direct pt contact, but to be honest I'm bored in my current position (no lateral movement unless I became a Med Tech), and to be fully honest the pay doesn't leave much wiggle room after bills. As someone who has already changed careers I don't want to appear flakey to adcoms, but I think moving into addiction counseling during these years before med school align more with my eventual goals with medicine.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
I wold consider it as such