Substituting some premed classes with self studying MCAT books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinM88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aiming to take the MCAT this June.

The problem is I won’t have enough time to knock out the rest of my pre-med classes which includes:
  • Physics II,
  • Biochemistry (aced OChem I and got 104% in OChem II class under a UT Austin prof),
  • and the Biologies (somehow I skipped bio’s and went straight to genetics and got highest score prof ever gave).

I know I need to focus only on MCAT books (and not be taking classes simultaneously) for a solid period of time (6 months?) before taking the test.

My question is, is it likely that one is able to self study Phys II, Biochem, and the Bio’s through the most highly recommended MCAT books for each of these subjects and do well on the new MCAT?

Thank you for any and all advice.

Also, if possible let me know your experience with the MCAT, like if you’ve taken it and if you did well on it.

Justin

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it recommended? No. Content review should be just that - a review. If you're teaching yourself the material for the first time from an MCAT book, it might not give you sufficient depth to be able to reason using that information. At least use Khan Academy videos for concepts you can't clearly visualize. You could probably teach yourself general biology and if you're good at math, maybe physics II as well. But biochem might be more difficult once you get to the metabolic pathways.