success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noowen321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering...in recent years what have been the worst stats of someone you know who got into med school? do you think it was their extra-curriculars that helped them?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine got a 24 (she didn't tell me the scores on each) on the MCAT and had something like a 3.2 undergrad GPA. She then got her Master's Degree in one of the more notable labs on her campus, and got into that school's med program the next year.

Andrew

I know of another 24 MCAT, 3.3 or something, that got into her midwestern state school after some medical missions work in Africa and a 2-year stint as president of her sorority . . . but what clenched it for her was actually excellent interview communications skills, she thinks (obviously, these extracurrics probably are reflective of the great personality also). So she basically had everything going for her except #s. Look at it this way: there are plenty of schools with averages 27-30, and there are plenty of 33s going to these schools, so there are likely plenty of 24s as well (ignoring the fact that MCAT scores probably don't bell curve very well at any given school. Still.).

Members don't see this ad :)
I also know a girl (funny how all these examples are girls) who also had a 24 and around a 3.4 GPA who got into one of my state schools (interview but no acceptance at the other) without doing anything amazing. I'd have to say she must have interviewed well.

Not related to the original topic, but wrt the last post . . . anybody know stats on overall MCAT male vs. female averages? Just curious. I'm female, by the way. If I was male I wouldn't be allowed to ask, right?
:)