Success Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FischerCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I would provide my story that might help you guys through this process. A couple years ago I was also an SMO/MBS/GMS etc student. It was rough. I went to a top school and played sports but my grades/gpa kind of sucked. My overall gpa ended up around 3.3 and my science gpa was much lower (3.01). I took the MCAT 3 times, yup thats 3. 1)27, 2) 24, 3) 34. Obviously odds were against me. Between college and medical school I did a postbac/SMP type program with no linkage. It sucked. Being in the period where you didnt do well enough pursue your career and where all of your friends have jobs is brutal. Anyways, I went to one of these programs and worked my b*lls off. I aced almost every clas and ended up with a 3.9 something gpa from the year. I applied to med school, got some interviews, got into a top tier school and fast forward two years. I am in my third year now and to be honest have excelled in med school. I dont mean above average...I pretty much aced 1st and 2nd year, go over 250 on step 1 and am currently pursuing one of the most competitive surgical specialties.

Anyways, I decided to post because I was in many of your shoes a couple of years ago and wanted to post a success story. I remember how much it sucked to be taking med school classes and not be in med school. I remember taking a full year of intense classes after college just to get into med school. I remember wondering if I would even get into medical school after wasting a year of my life and easily 30k to get in.It sucked. Having said that, if you work hard you will get in. Most of you are just as smart and capable as your classmates in medical school-maybe more qualified. If you work your ***** off you will get in. Once you get in, your fate is up to you. Even if you go to the lowest ranked medical school in the country, you can be a neurosurgeon, anesthesiologist, oncologist, orthopedic surgeon or pediatrician. My point is that its a long tough road but when you achieve your goal its gonna feel awesome. I'm not even close to reaching my goal but I'm incredibly proud of how Ive gotten to where I am. Once you guys get over this 1-2 year hump and redeem yourselves you will have every single door open to you. I wish you all the best of luck, work your ***** off in your SMP/GMS/MBS/ABC program and get to where you want to go. Any questions pm me, happy to answer any questions/help out any ways I can.

Members don't see this ad.

That was very refreshing to read. Congrats on making it.

Thanks for posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
^curious also. And if you have any advice regarding what to look for when considering PB's or SMP's.

As far as SMP type programs are concerned, any with a linkage or a really good track record should get the job done.

I appreciate the story, always great to have some added motivation.

btw that 24 to 34 MCAT jump is insane. how'd you do that?

Yeah seriously congrats. Im in a post bacc right now, just started, plan to work my butt off to raise my GPA which im not afraid of, but the MCAT, well that's another story. Im taking my first one tomorrow. If I have to retake ill retake.

Yeah seriously congrats. Im in a post bacc right now, just started, plan to work my butt off to raise my GPA which im not afraid of, but the MCAT, well that's another story. Im taking my first one tomorrow. If I have to retake ill retake.

That MCAT attitude is scary. I wouldn't sit for the exam unless I had zero doubt in my mind that I was as prepared as I could possibly be.

Yeah well I figured I don't want to keep studying for the MCAT over the course of my first post-Bacc semester at a new school and risk doing poorly...I was about as prepared as I could have been after studying all summer, and decided to sit for the test to see how I felt vs. my actual score.

Really no point in burning out studying for months on end and voiding your test only to feel like you wasted your entire summer with no outcome.