Successful Appeal of Rejection!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango6110

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got rejected from Tulane Medical School eariler in January after being
put on hold pre-interview. I wrote two letters of interest stating my sincere
desire in attending the school after I found out about my hold status, but
still got rejected. About a week ago, I set up a phone meeting with the dean
of admissions asking the reasons behind my rejection. It was really bothering me on why I had been rejected to a school which I thought I was a great fit for. I explained to her how much I wanted to go there and how I did not understand why I was rejected. I asked her whether they would reconsider and she said sometimes under special circumstances. She had not looked at my file when I spoke with her on the phone last week, but she told me she would look at it at the committee meeting later that day and speak with the other members and get back to me. This afternoon (5 days after the phone meeting) I recieved an interview invite in the mail.

So, dont give up hope. I know this is not that common. But, for those people
that have not recieved interview invites from their schools, keep updating
them and letting them know you are interested. I sent in letters and have recieved 3 interviews as a result from sending those in. If you want something bad enough, you can get it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Tulane and Dr. Beckman do kick ass. Definitely let schools know if they are your first choice, it does make a difference.

That's a cool story. Congratulations. I got an invite from tulane today too.

So are you sending these letters as emails or mailing them. and what are you saying in the text that is so effective?

Members don't see this ad :)
badass.. that's awesome... and the fact that your name is mango. even cooler.

mango6110 said:
So I got rejected from Tulane Medical School eariler in January after being
put on hold pre-interview. I wrote two letters of interest stating my sincere
desire in attending the school after I found out about my hold status, but
still got rejected. About a week ago, I set up a phone meeting with the dean
of admissions asking the reasons behind my rejection. It was really bothering me on why I had been rejected to a school which I thought I was a great fit for. I explained to her how much I wanted to go there and how I did not understand why I was rejected. I asked her whether they would reconsider and she said sometimes under special circumstances. She had not looked at my file when I spoke with her on the phone last week, but she told me she would look at it at the committee meeting later that day and speak with the other members and get back to me. This afternoon (5 days after the phone meeting) I recieved an interview invite in the mail.

So, dont give up hope. I know this is not that common. But, for those people
that have not recieved interview invites from their schools, keep updating
them and letting them know you are interested. I sent in letters and have recieved 3 interviews as a result from sending those in. If you want something bad enough, you can get it!!!

Balls and persistence go a long way. Congrats!!!!!

excellent! i always thought this was mere urban legend. As far as writing letters go I did the same thing; Got a invite to one school I am happy about but was rejected from a handful of others which surprised me. I was writing pretty sincere letters though alot of the info, about me at least, was similar regarding research interests etc... Im just worried that I turned them away with my letters. Glad to hear it worked for you