Successful Applicant Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
22yo female, 1st time applicant, SC resident

Applied: UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Colorado
Interview: Florida, Tennessee (declined), Mississippi
Accepted: UGA, Florida
Attending: UGA :D

UG Degree: B.S. in Biology (graduated May 2009) from the College of Charleston
GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.8
GRE: 1270 4.5w
BIO GRE: 640

Veterinary Experience/Animal Experience:
-750 hours at small animal clinic
-450 hrs as research assistant
-20 hrs volunteering at animal shelter
-200 hrs pet-sitting; dogs, cats, horses
-20 hours volunteering wildlife refuge

Employment:
-Small animal clinic
-Sales clerk at Pet store
-Cashier at Bi-Lo
-Office assistant at MD office
-Babysitter/Petsitter

Extracurricular:
-Delta Delta Delta sorority
-Animal Welfare Society
-Pre-vet club
-Safe Kids volunteer
-Camp counselor for kids with kidney disease

Honors/Awards:
-Distinguished/Highly Distinguished Honor's list each semester
-Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
-Phi Theta Kappa Honor Fraternity
-Graduated magna cum laude
-Palmetto Fellows Scholarship

LORs
-2 vets from my animal clinic
-PhD professor from my research project

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m going to ask those of you out there that have yet to post on the successful apps to please do so and share with us the future generation. Also tips are always great

22yo male, 1st time applicant, SoCal resident

Applied: Kansas, UC Davis, Tennessee, Western
Interview: Kansas, Tennessee, Western
Accepted: Kansas, Tennessee, Western
Attending: Kansas :D

UG Degree: B.S. in Animal Science / Pre-Vet (graduated June 2008) from the Cal State Polytechnic University, Pomona
GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.7

3 Years Vet Tech at small animal hospital
1.5 Years Volunteer at Emergency Hospital
2 Years Working at Pet Store
ROP class in Animal Care
On Campus Volunteer at Sheep and Swine Unit

Extracurricular:
-Gamma Phi Epsilon Fraternity
-Pre-vet club (4 years, on EBoard my last year)
-Camp counselor for 2 years

Honors/Awards:
-Dean's List (Several times)
-Presidents List (Several times)
-Student Athletic Award

LORs
-One from my Biotechnology professor (PhD)
-One from Dr at my animal Hospital (DVM)
-One from Dr at emergency hospital (DVM)

Members don't see this ad :)
20 year old female, 1st time applicant, ND resident

Applied: Kansas, Iowa, University of Minnesota
Interviewed: Kansas, Iowa, University of Minnesota
Watilisted: Kansas, Iowa (#2 for ND 109 OOS),
,University of Minnesota (#10 IS)
Accepted: Kansas, University of Minnesota
Attending: Kansas :D

UG Degree: I finished all my pre-professional work at North Dakota State University but I didn't not finsh a BS
GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.43

- 3 Years as a Vet assistant at a mixed animal hospital
- training hunting dogs
- Worked one summer at a groomer- walking, bathing, and grooming dogs
- Grew up summers on the family farm
Extracurricular:
-Pre-vet club (3 years, exective for 2 years)
- Taekowndo student for 5 years ( triple crown state champ)
- Taekowndo instructor for 2 years ( 10 hours a week)

Honors/Awards:
-Multiple scholarships
-Nominated for NDSU homecoming queen

LORs
-One from my TKD instructor

Last edited:
27 year old female, 1st time applicant, CA resident

Applied: Washington, Davis, Michigan, Missouri, Florida, Colorado, Auburn, Virginia-Maryland
Interviewed: NONE
Watilisted:Michigan
Accepted: Colorado (Vet prep)
Attending: Colorado

UG Degree: BS in Animal Science-Pre-Vet from Cal Poly Pomona, took extra classes in biochem and microbiology
GPA: 3.16 cumulative, CPP gpa: 3.6
Science GPA: ~3.6, animal science gpa: 3.7
GRE: 1040

- 2 Years as a Vet assistant at a small animal hospital
- 960 hrs Petsmart grooming
- 40 hours at the inland valley humane society
- 200 hours Research with chickens
- 100 hours Foal Team with the Chino Valley Equine hospital
-10 hrs at a sea lion/seal rescue place
- 100 hrs Foal Watch on campus
- 120 hrs working with the animals on campus (pigs, sheep, cows, goats)
- 120 hrs assistant animal keeper at a petting zoo (donkey, deer, bison, golden pheasants, etc)
Extracurricular:
-Pre-vet club (3 years)
-Science Educational Enrichment program(3 yrs)
-Ag Ambassador (1 yr)
-Ag Council-E board (1 yr)
-AGREES Peer Advisor (2 yrs)
- Block and Bridle-rep (1 yr)
-Ombuds Committee chair (5 months)
-CDFA student traceability exercise, acted as a health inspector (1 day)
At my junior College:
-Student government-photographer (1 yr)
-biology club, rep and then vice president (2 yrs)
-Math engineering science achievement (2 yrs)
-High Intensity Transfer Enrichment, honors program (5 yrs)
In high School:
- track and field team (3 yrs)
-Womens ensemble (1 yr)
-Academic Decathlon(1yr)

Honors/Awards:
-Multiple scholarships

LORs
-One from my Advisor at Cal Poly Pomona (PhD)
-One from Research Advisor at Cal Poly Pomona (DVM)

**Still feel shocked that I got into an awesome program**

So a bunch of you asked me to post my stats on here....I just got back into town after being gone most of July...so as soon as I can find where I put my stuff, I'll get it posted on here :D

Just bumping this thread up! :D

As we're all feverishly completing our applications and wondering and worrying about being accepted, there is a lot to learn here! I know that what seems impossible right now, may not be in the future. That's thanks to everyone that added their stats to this thread.

As of now I have a 3.78 last 45 GPA, a 3.38 overall GPA, and a LOW 2.70 science GPA. I haven't seen anyone with this low of a science GPA in this thread, but I'm hoping to change that for next year!

All of those that have been accepted are inspiration for me and no doubt for others. Best of luck this fall!!

I think that this thread, in particular, is giving me an ulcer :scared:. I seriously don't know how I'm going to handle the wait that starts Oct. 1st. I might drive myself mad.

Just bumping this thread up! :D

As we're all feverishly completing our applications and wondering and worrying about being accepted, there is a lot to learn here! I know that what seems impossible right now, may not be in the future. That's thanks to everyone that added their stats to this thread.

As of now I have a 3.78 last 45 GPA, a 3.38 overall GPA, and a LOW 2.70 science GPA. I haven't seen anyone with this low of a science GPA in this thread, but I'm hoping to change that for next year!

All of those that have been accepted are inspiration for me and no doubt for others. Best of luck this fall!!

I've been out of the loop here at SDN for awhile! So :welcome: to all the newbie's and :luck: to all those applying this year.
Just wanted to chime in here that I got into vet school w/ a low overall GPA and mediocre GRE scores. I think to make up for it, I obtained a Master's in Lab Animal Science from Drexel and continued to take courses after I graduated to bump up my last 45 unit GPA. Also, I have a variety of vet/animal experience. PM me if you have any questions and again, good luck to everyone.

Here's my stats, finally! YAY I GET TO FINALLY BE A PART OF THIS THREAD!!

23yo female, 2nd time applicant, Florida resident

Applied: LSU, Western, UPenn, St. Matthews Univ., Univ. of Edinburgh
Interview: Western
Accepted: LSU (off of waitlist in the end of June), Western (off of waitlist in the end of July), St. Matthews Univ., Univ. of Edinburgh
Attending: LSU :D

UG Degree: B.S. in Biology (2008) University of Central Florida (Pre-Professional track)
GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.76
GRE: took it three times....best time = 1070 (650 Quant, 420 Verbal)

1500 hours between 3 small animal/exotic vet clinics over 5 years (I didn't have this when I applied, I updated the schools with this number later in January, I had about 1200 hours when applying)
2000 hours marine turtle research at UCF (2 years)
8 hours marine turtle necropsy workshop
105 hours volunteering in a comparative pathology lab running tests mostly on avian species.
60 hours at an exotic animal rescue and rehab center
50 hours doing independent underwater research on parrotfish herbivory in Roatan, Honduras
500 hours volunteering at a wildlife eco-educational facility putting on educational shows and taking care of the animals. (I didn't have this when I applied, I updated the schools with this number later in January)

Extracurricular:
-Phi Sigma Pi Honor Fraternity (Relay for Life Captain), National Society of Collegiate Scholars, National Scholars Honor Society, Pre-Professional Medical Society (Treasurer Sophomore year), Pre-Veterinary Society (founding member), Sigma Alpha Pi National Society of Leadership and Success, Intramural Basketball, Softball, and Volleyball (Captain for each)

Honors/Awards:
-Pre-Professional Medical Society Honors
-First year scholars award

LORs
-One from the vet I first worked for (DVM)
-One from the 2nd vet I worked for (DVM)
-One from my academic advisor (B.S.)

Last edited:
Hey TurtleLover!

I think it's important for future applicants to know that you were accepted off the waitlist at LSU and Western, so it IS possible to get in off the waitlist - - - even late in the game! Don't ever give up hope!!!

Also, TL - you should post your acceptance to Western in the acceptances thread. I know many of the Western waitlisters had very little hope after April 15th when they said the class was full. :)

Congrats again!!! :soexcited:

Hey TurtleLover!

I think it's important for future applicants to know that you were accepted off the waitlist at LSU and Western, so it IS possible to get in off the waitlist - - - even late in the game! Don't ever give up hope!!!

Also, TL - you should post your acceptance to Western in the acceptances thread. I know many of the Western waitlisters had very little hope after April 15th when they said the class was full. :)

Congrats again!!! :soexcited:

Very good point, Pomona!! I edited that in my post! :D

That is true, no one EVER give up hope! But I do suggest if you are on the waitlist for a school, to map out potential places to live before you get accepted off the waitlist...that is very stressful (and expensive) to find housing at the last minute....especially when its not your resident state.

Good luck to everyone!

I am new to this forum, and I have been working on a personal statement by taking vague advice from various sources, but ideally I would like to see some personal statements from people who have gotten in to vet school. Being told how to write a scientific paper and having an example are 2 very different things. I think its the same for a personal statement. Anyways could some of you who made it in please send me yours so I can get an idea?
My email is [email protected].
Thanks,
Asillym

Dude, that's the third time you've posted that exact message. Do a search like angelo suggested. If you don't know how to use the search function, just ask!

Besides, it's sorta fishy to just go around asking for personal statements. There are guidelines on VMCAS for what they would like to see... how about you write one, and then you can offer to proofread someone else's if they'll read yours? That's how we usually do things around here. :)

I am new to this forum, and I have been working on a personal statement by taking vague advice from various sources, but ideally I would like to see some personal statements from people who have gotten in to vet school. Being told how to write a scientific paper and having an example are 2 very different things. I think its the same for a personal statement. Anyways could some of you who made it in please send me yours so I can get an idea?
My email is [email protected].
Thanks,
Asillym

There was a posting on this in the spring, and a couple of us sent ours in to the person. If I remember she was making up a packet on how to apply. Try to search that.

Okay well I have written a personal statement, and I only posted my comment three times because I thought people weren't visiting the pages enough to see it, so my apologies. I guess I'm not very good at using the search thing because I can't find anything you guys are talking about, so sorry I was such a nuisance. I did not mean to offend anyone or undermine any of the efforts of others. I just think my personal statement as it is kind of sucks.
Anyways, I've been revising it and re-revising it, but its still pretty awful, so if anyone could take some time to look at it and give me criticism (Harsh or not) I would greatly appreciate it. Again, sorry for the rudeness of my posts. I'm just nervous and I have no time (and when I started I had no clue where to start!). Thanks!
-Asillym

Here's a thread with some old personal statements:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=385281

After you've looked at those, you can send me yours. Just make sure it covers all the bases prompted by VMCAS (origins of interest in the field, experience and things gained, and where you'd like to go within the field) and that it flows well. It should be at least a bit similar in structure to the ones in the thread above.