Successful Applicant Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BayleeVet2B

UGA CVM Class of 2013!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start this thread? Kind of wanted to get an idea from those who have been accepted if I still have a chance! Congrats to everybody who's in already...hope to join you someday soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, BayleeVet2B!! I've been waiting for someone to start this, hopefully I'll be posting here eventually! :laugh:

Generally there is an "interviewed-accepted-not accepted" section for each person that posts their stats, and that's hard to fill out when something like four of the 28 U.S. schools have offered spots students so far...

There's no rush to begin this thread yet, though I won't deny being interested in it as well.

Also... the people who are already accepted to Tufts, Ohio etc. are likely just going to make us feel inferior. Lol. Talking to you, DVMorbust! And you others! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok..I bumped it to the top again...one of you successful people get it started...PLUUUEEEZE....so us newbies will know what it takes!
Congratulations to all of you in so far!!!:D

DISCLAIMER: My stats/numbers are somewhat embarrassing. Despite this, I was accepted to vet school…so, perhaps others would benefit from seeing an atypical applicant. I feel I'm more than just a number, I'm a person with a story (and I am sometimes a bit verbose, so I apologize in advance for the novel).

First time applicant, 23 years old, female, Ohio resident.
Applied: Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, and Western
Rejected: Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa
Interview: Ohio, Western (declined)
Accepted: Ohio!

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.00 (@ time of graduation 3.15)
Last 30 credit hrs: 4.0
GRE: 1040; 4.0

Honors and Awards:
-Presidents List (4.0) twice
-Deans' List (3.5-3.9) once
-English departmental award

Veterinary Experience:
- ~ 4,000 hrs at small animal practice
-150 hrs during at overnight emergency practice
-10 hrs mixed practice
-5 hrs at Wild Animal Park in San Diego

Animal Experience:
- 224 hrs at CARE (Baboon sanctuary in South Africa)
- 80 hrs at Makalali (Private Wildlife Reserve in South Africa)
- 40 hrs at farm open to public
-~ 35 total hours in horseback riding lessons
-~20 hrs wildlife raptor center
-pet sitter

Community Activities:
-cooking classes
-pre vet club
-promotional model for university
-women's music chorister
-volunteer for Meals on Wheels
-volunteer for Habitat for Humanity
-high school winter track
-middle/high school band: alto saxophone
-women's church group (multiple leadership positions over the years)

As far as my grades and gre scores…I know they are low in comparison. But, I feel I had valid reasons coupled with a massive improvement (which showed in my transcripts and then I explained when asked about it in my interview).

The quick version: My first few years in school, I struggled with my science pre-reqs. But…I also commuted ~10 hours a week, worked 10-25 hours while taking a full load of undergrad classes, and had to help take care of my younger siblings while dealing with difficult family circumstances. A couple years later, after I returned from volunteering in Africa, I became more motivated and appreciative of my education. I recognized my past errors and learned how to improve. I then obtained almost straight A's in physics, microbiology, statistics, upper zoology classes, etc while still commuting, working, and helping to care for my younger siblings.

I was also told in my interview that my undergrad university's GPA is worth .2-.4 points higher compared to other schools (therefore 3.0à ~3.2-3.4). My gre is just low…if I could do anything over, it would be to prepare for this test at least 1-2 months in advance.

My point is: a lower GPA is not an end all, be all situation. Don't let your past hold you back (because you can't change it), but you can learn from it and improve for the future. Please, do not be discouraged if your stats are below average, it does not mean that you are stupid or that you would not make a great vet. Just improve and keep on tryin'! It CAN be done! :)

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: My stats/numbers are somewhat embarrassing. Despite this, I was accepted to vet school…so, perhaps others would benefit from seeing an atypical applicant. I feel I’m more than just a number, I’m a person with a story (and I am sometimes a bit verbose, so I apologize in advance for the novel).

First time applicant, 23 years old, female, Ohio resident.
Applied: Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, and Western
Rejected: Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri
Haven’t heard (but expecting rejections): Iowa and Western
Interview: Ohio

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.00 (@ time of graduation 3.15)
Last 30 credit hrs: 4.0
GRE: 1040; 4.0

Honors and Awards:
-Presidents List (4.0) twice
-Deans’ List (3.5-3.9) once
-English departmental award

Veterinary Experience:
- ~ 4,000 hrs at small animal practice
-150 hrs during at overnight emergency practice
-10 hrs mixed practice
-5 hrs at Wild Animal Park in San Diego

Animal Experience:
- 224 hrs at CARE (Baboon sanctuary in South Africa)
- 80 hrs at Makalali (Private Wildlife Reserve in South Africa)
- 40 hrs at farm open to public
-~ 35 total hours in horseback riding lessons
-~20 hrs wildlife raptor center
-pet sitter

Community Activities:
-cooking classes
-pre vet club
-promotional model for university
-women’s music chorister
-volunteer for Meals on Wheels
-volunteer for Habitat for Humanity
-high school winter track
-middle/high school band: alto saxophone
-women’s church group (multiple leadership positions over the years)

As far as my grades and gre scores…I know they are low in comparison. But, I feel I had valid reasons coupled with a massive improvement (which showed in my transcripts and then I explained when asked about it in my interview).

The quick version: My first few years in school, I struggled with my science pre-reqs. But…I also commuted ~10 hours a week, worked 10-25 hours while taking a full load of undergrad classes, and had to help take care of my younger siblings while dealing with difficult family circumstances. A couple years later, after I returned from volunteering in Africa, I became more motivated and appreciative for my education. I recognized my past errors and learned how to improve. I then obtained almost straight A’s in physics, microbiology, statistics, upper zoology classes, etc while still commuting, working, and helping to care for my younger siblings.

I was also told in my interview that my undergrad university’s GPA is worth .2-.4 points higher compared to other schools (therefore 3.0à ~3.2-3.4). My gre is just low…if I could do anything over, it would be to prepare for this test at least 1-2 months in advance.

My point is: a lower GPA is not an end all, be all situation. Don't let your past hold you back (because you can’t change it), but you can learn from it and improve for the future. Please, do not be discouraged if your stats are below average, it does not mean that you are stupid or that you would not make a great vet. Just improve and keep on tryin'! It CAN be done! :)

Awesome!! Love this story-your last paragraph is a huge motivator for me because I am in the process of recovering my GPA from various health, family, etc. circumstances. One bad semester can REALLY hurt. But that is ok because with motivation it can be overcome and Rachroo is a great example of that! Thanks for the post!

Awesome!! Love this story-your last paragraph is a huge motivator for me because I am in the process of recovering my GPA from various health, family, etc. circumstances. One bad semester can REALLY hurt. But that is ok because with motivation it can be overcome and Rachroo is a great example of that! Thanks for the post!

I failed out of college twice and still got into vet school (there was a lot of time in between failing and going back as pre-vet), so never lose hope!!!!!

That is awesome RockStarKDub! You go!

Speaking of-does anyone have any links to past successful applicant class threads? I think it would be fun and informative to check that out!

I failed out of college twice and still got into vet school (there was a lot of time in between failing and going back as pre-vet), so never lose hope!!!!!

I was reading the successful applicant thread by BayleeVet2B and I saw a post by you saying the past four years you have gotten a 4.0!! That is awesome!

Another applicant with less than stellar stats...

First time applicant, 23 years old, Male, Massachusetts resident.
Applied: Ohio, Michigan, Colorado, Florida, AVC@UPEI
Apps withdrawn: Michigan, Colorado, AVC
Still waiting: Florida

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.21
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.76
GRE: 1250. 760q, 490v; 4.0a

Honors and Awards:
-Deans’ List (>3.0) most semesters

Veterinary Experience:
~ 1,500 hrs at a small animal wellness and repro clinic
~ 600 hrs at a 24 hour hospital in the ER
~ 15 hrs large animal

Animal Experience:
~ 25 hrs non-veterinary with goats

Community Activities:
(pretty much nothing in the last 2 years since undergrad)
- Treasurer at college student auto shop
- Member of an college outing club
- Member of a college Christian association

I graduated from RPI in 2007 with a bachelors in computer science and a 2.97 GPA (115 graded credits) before I decided to pursue veterinary medicine. I then spent the next 1.5 years at Umass taking the remainder of my prereqs and trying to salvage my poor GPA. In that time I took a total of 49 additional credits with a GPA of 3.77.

In 2008 alone I took a total of 37 credits comprised of Bio 1/2, Orgo1/2 + labs, Cell&molec, genetics, biochem, microbio, microbio lab, english writing, and statistics with a 3.76 GPA all while also working 1700 hours that year. I think this was the biggest asset to my application in demonstrating my ability to succeed under a heavy work load.

So I am another one to say that a low GPA is not an end all for ones vet school hopes. If you can come back and show you can succeed at a heavy academic load that can definitely overshadow poor early performance in school.

Last edited:
Dude, you're only 23? You definitely seem more... fatherly than that. For lack of a better word. LOL. My apologies.

Glad that I'm also not the only on without something wonderful to put in the "Honors and Awards" section! I don't even remember what I put previously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, you're only 23? You definitely seem more... fatherly than that. For lack of a better word. LOL. My apologies.

I've had a birthday since I was accepted, so I am 24 now. ;)

Yeah, BIG difference, let me tell you. We aren't even a year apart, agewise. I'd like to think that my immaturity filters into my excellent and sage-like advice (haha) and hints at my real age... you must keep your immaturity to yourself! I know it's there... just dying to come out... perhaps in the form of a fart joke? Hmm..

In 2008 alone I took a total of 37 credits comprised of Bio 1/2, Orgo1/2 + labs, Cell&molec, genetics, biochem, microbio, microbio lab, english writing, and statistics with a 3.76 GPA all while also working 1700 hours that year. I think this was the biggest asset to my application in demonstrating my ability to succeed under a heavy work load.

Damn. Not sure how on earth you managed a 40 hr. work week around the class schedule, but it must have been insane. Nice job.

Honors and Awards:

Veterinary Experience:
~ 15 hrs large animal

Animal Experience:

Community Activities:

I graduated from RPI in 2007 with a bachelors in computer science and a 2.97 GPA (115 graded credits) before I decided to pursue veterinary medicine. I then spent the next 1.5 years at Umass taking the remainder of my prereqs and trying to salvage my poor GPA. In that time I took a total of 49 additional credits with a GPA of 3.77.

So I am another one to say that a low GPA is not an end all for ones vet school hopes. If you can come back and show you can succeed at a heavy academic load that can definitely overshadow poor early performance in school.

Doesn't Ohio require calculus or am I incorrect on that? I was thinking of applying there until I thought I heard they require calc. At which point I changed my mind because I do not want to take calc. :eek:

Doesn't Ohio require calculus or am I incorrect on that? I was thinking of applying there until I thought I heard they require calc. At which point I changed my mind because I do not want to take calc. :eek:

Off hand it doesn't look like they do, but I had taken Calc 1, Calc 2, Discrete, and Math Analysis 1 during my undergrad so I would have been covered.

First time applicant, 21 year old Male, Ohio resident, Junior in undergrad
Applied: Ohio
Accepted: Ohio

Cum GPA 3.35
GRE: 1170 (700q, 470v, 4.0a)

Honors and Awards:
-Deans' List (>3.65) one semester

Veterinary Experience:
~ 450 hrs at a small animal clinic
~ 600 hrs large animal Bovine/Equine

Animal Experience:
~ 2,500 hrs on farm experience (Bovine/Equine/Swine)

Community Activities:
- Rotary Club International volunteer work
- Santa Claus on Polar Express
- Some Public speaking to students from my old high school/elementary school

College Activities:
- Treasurer for the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Club
- Organic Chemistry + Lab TA
- Research assistant

I am a junior student at the College of Wooster in Ohio. Wooster is nationally ranked as one of the top 30 science institutions in the United States and is ranked #2 in research, just under Princeton. I am currently pursuing my BA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) and will have completed it by the end of the spring 09 semester. My cumulative GPA isn't spectacular, but it is said that a "B" at Wooster is an "A" everywhere else.

I decided to apply to OSU my junior year to get my name out there and to show them I was committed, but never thought I had a chance of getting accepted. But, low and behold I will be attending OSU CVM next fall, cutting the 8yr program into a 7yr.

As the others above me have already said, just because you may not have a GPA >3.70 and a GRE >1400, doesn't mean that you will not get accepted. You just have to show the adcoms that you are persistent and ready to take on such a challenge.

and by the way; Ohio requires algebra with trig, not Calc.

Last edited:
Looks good on paper, but didn't think I'd make it this year because of less veterinary experience in comparison.

First time applicant, 23 years old, Wisconsin resident.
Applied: Tufts, Missouri, Wisconsin
Withdrew: Missouri
Interview: Tufts
Accepted: Tufts, Wisconsin

Cumulative GPA: 3.72
Degree info:
BA in Linguistics
Minor in Portuguese
Certificate in Asian Studies w/ focus on Mandarin
GRE: 1550. 750q, 800v; 5.0w

Honors and Awards:
-Deans' List (>3.5) most semesters
-Phi Beta Kappa
-Phi Kappa Phi

Veterinary Experience:
80 hours shadowing/assisting equine vet
10 hours shadowing/assisting LA vet
10 hours shadowing SA vet
6 hours shadowing zoo vet

Research Experience (put under Animal):
~500 hours in genetics lab working with zebrafish
~300 hours doing fieldwork with snakes (capturing, taking measurements, sexing, marking, etc.)

Animal Experience:
~4,000 equine (stable hand, riding instructor, working student, etc.)
~200 working with animal transport group (organizing transportation and driving animals from shelters to rescues, adoptive homes, etc.)

Extracurriculars/Community Activities:
-Member of university's equestrian team
-Chinese club
-Presented at conference on Joss Whedon's work (linguistics paper on sociolinguistics in Firefly) (Yes, I'm a huge dork)
-National Novel Writing Month for past 6 years

Personal statement: If anyone's curious, let me know.

Last edited:

Honors and Awards:

Veterinary Experience:
~ 15 hrs large animal

Animal Experience:

Community Activities:

Personal Statement is attached for those who are curious. I don't really like it, but I feel like it will give others "the whole picture" of my application.
Nice! Well written beautiful personal statement in my opinion. Congratulations.

...and at mine it's top 10% -- so it's all relative, not based on a set bar...but I have no idea what's normal.

I'm glad my undergrad school is not the only school to do that top XX% of students too - it really was quite confusing - that and they don't even call it "Dean's List" so you have to explain it to everyone.

Everyone,

This is the SUCCESSFUL applicants thread....STOP saying why you aren't steller, what is wrong with you etc and be proud:D;)

:eek: Deans List is >3.0 at your school? At mine, it's >3.5. So is your school the weird one, or mine?

We didn't have grade modifiers( no + or -). So it was just a A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0. Deans list didn't really mean anything anyways though.

Everyone,

This is the SUCCESSFUL applicants thread....STOP saying why you aren't steller, what is wrong with you etc and be proud:D;)

Thanks Chris. :)

But, I hope that some of the untraditional stats can show others to not give up...just keep on improving and trying!

Ok, now, back to the successful applicants thread....

We didn't have that either, but ours was still 3.5+. Then again, we also had like two other categories that I never could quite figure out how they were awarded. So I guess it's all pretty relative (and often kinda meaningless) :p

extracurriculars/community activities:
-presented at conference on joss whedon's work (linguistics paper on sociolinguistics in firefly) (yes, i'm a huge dork)

omg i love you!

Everyone,

Yes - you should be proud, but I see nothing wrong with highlighting the "weaknesses" in your application. Those are the things you overcame, which then go on to inspire and motivate others who might share those weaknesses.

Last edited:
*bump for all the new acceptances! Congrats everyone! :D

First time applicant, 21, female.
GPA 3.4
GRE 1320
Hours: thousands of SA, a little LA, some equine.

I had a pretty good amount of service stuff, which we talked about in my interview quite a bit, so I think it helped!

Applied to: OSU, Penn, NC State, Florida
Accepted: OSU (IS)
Rejected: NC State
Haven't heard from: Penn, Florida. (but I'm withdrawing those anyway)

Anything else you want to know PM me.

First time applicant, 21, female.
GPA 3.4
GRE 1320
Hours: thousands of SA, a little LA, some equine.

I had a pretty good amount of service stuff, which we talked about in my interview quite a bit, so I think it helped!

Applied to: OSU, Penn, NC State, Florida
Accepted: OSU (IS)
Rejected: NC State
Haven't heard from: Penn, Florida. (but I'm withdrawing those anyway)

Anything else you want to know PM me.

Buckeye4runner, how exactly do you know NC State rejected you? Are you just going off the assumption that you didn't get an acceptance call last week when all those other OOS people did? Just curious because I applied there too and haven't heard from them at all.

It was a dumb mistake w/ the pre-reqs... I haven't taken stats yet, but have taken Calc 2... I kinda forgot about the stats class after taking harder math! So that made 2 outstanding pre-reqs (plus animal nutrition) so it was a reeeeeally early no :p

I've had the Low GPA Monkey on my back thanks to my abysmal freshman year and a couple of rough spots through undergrad...

First-time applicant, female, 21, Ohio resident, Senior in Zoology
Applied: THE Ohio State University
Interviewed: Ohio

Cum GPA at time of application: 3.18
Cum GPA at time of interview: 3.24 (3.91 the quarter before interview)
GRE: 1220 (580v, 640q)

Veterinary Experience Hours
SA: 9,000 over 6 years as a tech
Wildlife: 200 over 1 year at a wildlife rehab hospital

Animal Experience
Equine: Horseback riding lessons for several years, petsitting geriatic horses
LA: ~800 volunteering at farms as a teenager
SA: Petsitting for various families over the past 5-6 years

Honors/Awards
-Dean's List a few quarters
-Honors Diploma in high school
-Re-articulated a deer skeleton for a seminar project in high school

Community/Extracurricular
-Habitat for Humanity x 3 years
-25 hours volunteering at the local library
-Pre-Vet Club at OSU
-Some other minor stuff I can't remember

Recommendations
-3 vets I have worked with for 6 years.

I think my LORs, hours worked during college (20-40/week), and SA veterinary experience helped to salvage the GPA and show persistance/work ethic, etc., etc.

Thanks for posting AgtOrange! Your stats are very similar to mine :) Hopefully I'll get to post here (Western interview at the end of the month) :xf:

Hey AgtOrange.... I'm in Pre-Vet Club at OSU too... weird. We probably know each other haha. Gotta love the randomness of SDN

Hey AgtOrange.... I'm in Pre-Vet Club at OSU too... weird. We probably know each other haha. Gotta love the randomness of SDN

Lulz, I paid my dues, but then I always ended up having class or work at 7pm, so my attendance was rather sporadic. I doubt I fit into the category of "members in good standing" that were reported to OSU CVM. :)

Just curious.. Since you are in the Pre-Vet club at OSU, did you go to a meeting recently with a Vet speaker named Dr. Rick Daugherty. He was either already there or is coming to talk about becoming large animal vets. I work with him and others at that practice. Great Guy, Great Vet!

Wow, look at all of these wonderful applicants! :eek: You ALL certainly worked VERY hard for your spot! CONGRATS! and GOODLUCK :)

A low GPA doesn't automatically count you out, I'm living proof:

First-time applicant, female, 29, California resident, Human Development Major
Applied: Ohio State University, Davis, Western, and 7 others..
Interviewed: Ohio

Cum GPA at time of application:
My first 4-5 years at my undergrad: 2.49 (yup that really is a 2)
Took a couple of years of to get myself together and returned to college to do the majority of my prereqs: 3.58 (not averaging in the previous)
Last 45: 3.57
GRE: 1200 (590v, 610q, 4.5)

Veterinary Experience Hours
SA: over 8,000
LA: ~50
Lab Animal: ~400

Animal Experience
-Worked at Petco for 5 years as their small animal/bird specialist then at the vaccine clinic before moving on to a SA veterinary practice.
- Hand raising orphaned kittens over the years and placing them in homes. (Usually I'm ready to pull my hair out about a week into it from lack of sleep but getting an update and a picture of that baby years later makes every sleepless night worth it)

Honors/Awards
-Dean's List a few semesters
-Honors Biology research paper
-A couple of academic scholarships last year

Community/Extracurricular
-2 different spay/neuter programs for 4+ years
-Traveled to the Galapagos Islands with the group Animal Balance to assist in a spay neuter campaign.

Recommendations
-3 vets I have worked with for 5 years. One of the letters also had input from the 2 RVT's I've worked with at the spay neuter clinic (it was a committee letter).

I think my saving grace is that I showed persistance. I screwed up royally as an undergrad but I decided on a goal, went back and kept at it while working (sometimes 50 hour weeks) and volunteering with organizations I really believe in. During my interview I was passionate in explaining why veterinary medicine means so much to me and one of my interviewers said he got the impression that to me vet medicine was a calling, not just a career. I'm deeply grateful that the committee was able to see past my initial failures and gave me a chance.

YAY Catvet2be!!:highfive:

We're going to be classmates! :)

Thanks rachroo! I kept pinching myself all day hoping it was real. I even started worrying that I'd hallucinated the whole conversation until my letter came in. :D

this thread definitely needs a bump! thanks everyone so far that has posted -- you are truly inspiring!!!

Looks like everyone that posted on here is getting into OSU!

:laugh: You're right, it does look the majority of us who posted were accepted to OSU. I imagine that it's because they really wanted to get the majority of their decisions made as soon as possible.

I'm sure we'll be seeing this list grow huge within the next month or two with applicants from all the other schools!

I enjoy you guys sharing your stats and congratulations!!