Successful Experiences with Deferrals for Personal Reasons?

Started by Avo Cado
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Avo Cado

... 's number = 1 guacamole?
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for information on which schools (especially top 20 schools) are most receptive to deferrals for personal reasons. I can't find much in past threads about schools' willingness to grant deferrals for physical/mental health reasons. I'd love to hear from anyone who did get this type of deferral--what school was it from, how much detail did they require about the reasons, and how smooth was the process? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to defer. But because of some unforeseen health problems, I want to make sure I understand my options. Thanks so much for your help!
 
At my school, it's usually for health or family issues.

I'm looking for information on which schools (especially top 20 schools) are most receptive to deferrals for personal reasons. I can't find much in past threads about schools' willingness to grant deferrals for physical/mental health reasons. I'd love to hear from anyone who did get this type of deferral--what school was it from, how much detail did they require about the reasons, and how smooth was the process? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to defer. But because of some unforeseen health problems, I want to make sure I understand my options. Thanks so much for your help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Several students of mine, including one gal I interviewed for the Class of '13. She entered with, and graduated with the '14s.

Can't speak to how easy the process is though. Out of my league.

A friend of mine was deferred by his medical school into the class entering the following year. He said this is because some schools over-tally to ensure a full class, then defer the overtalliers. It was a DO school, does this happen with MD schools as well?


Posted using SDN Mobile
 
A friend of mine was deferred by his medical school into the class entering the following year. He said this is because some schools over-tally to ensure a full class, then defer the overtalliers. It was a DO school, does this happen with MD schools as well?


Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm pretty sure schools don't try to overfill the class. It's more of a finely tuned algorithm that X number of acceptances generally yields Y number of matriculants, but sometimes that algorithm can fail. This happened with Penn State in the 2011-2012 cycle, more people ended up matriculating than expected. They offered a scholarship to cover your first year's tuition if you deferred. Not all schools are financially capable of doing that, though. My school way overenrolled for the c/o 2017 and even after people deferred, they still ended up with like 20 extra people.
 
Several students of mine, including one gal I interviewed for the Class of '13. She entered with, and graduated with the '14s.

Can't speak to how easy the process is though. Out of my league.

Got it.. I imagine it will be tough to get insight on that.

@Avo Cado, I spoke with an old friend recently who deferred a year from Pritzker simply because he felt burnt out finishing up undergrad (at a particularly rigorous school). When I asked, he said the school is very understanding and accommodating with deferrals for personal reasons. Hope that helps. 🙂

Thanks, helps a lot!

Also just want to send a general thank you to everyone for responding so thoughtfully. I was kinda nervous to post about this, but you all have made me feel much better about asking. Still hoping I'll get to call a few of you classmates next year 🙂
 
My understanding is that most of the top schools are actually very lax in this respect and as long as you propose to do something useful with your life (like as long as it's not sit on a couch eating chips; even traveling would count), few of them have problems with deferring.