Successful match after failing to match last year- advice for future applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SXMMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a little back to this forum that has always been super generous to me, hopefully future applicants can take something from my experience for their benefit.

I graduated Fall 2015 from Caribbean med school with following scores: Step 1 (200<X<210), Step 2 CK (210<X<220) and Step CS pass (all first time pass). I didn't pick up a job, research or shadowing (first mistake) thinking I was going to enjoy my time before residency. Having a wide array of interests and being indecisive I applied to multiple specialties (second mistake). I secured ~4 interviews in FM and 1 in another specialty that was pre-matching. I practiced for my interviews but did not prepare appropriately and sucked during interviews. I had the pre-match in the bag (I rotated at this program and had strong faculty support) but blew the interview in the final 2-3 minutes. Come match day I failed to Match, had no Step 3 in my pocket, no job/research/shadowing lined up and a savings account that was going to run dry if I didn't get it together quick.

Mistakes I made:
  • I took it easy thinking I was a better candidate than I was, and didn't do anything in my spare time to keep up my knowledge and skills or advance in any meaningful way. Programs asked what I was doing, it came back to bite me.
  • I didn't commit fully to any specialty and my hesitance showed up in my interviews. It's a subtle point but was pertinent to how I performed in my interviews
  • I went into the pre-match over-confident and blew it
  • I took advice (about what to do with my time off, etc) from well meaning people who were ill equipped to advise me. Make sure you get advice from people who are well informed and professional
  • I had time and did not take Step 3 before the Match, resulting in lost time after March
  • I practiced my interviews but was not critical in my approach. Be honest with yourself about your own strengths and weaknesses. The goal is not to bag on yourself, the goal is to identify weaknesses and fix them
What I did following Match 2016:

I moved in with my family to save money and studied for step 3 for a few months. After having been away from clinical medicine since fall it was tougher than it should have been. I lost a couple of months I could have spent doing other things as a result. I passed (barely) with score 200<X<205 (I crushed stats which was 14-18% of the exam... do not write that stuff off!). I subsequently got an low key administrative level job at a large (anonymous specialty) group practice that gave me the flexibility with my hours to shadow in the mornings and work from noon-9 PM. I shadowed and worked for months, and managed to secure a month of shadowing with a doctor who was a preceptor at a program that I had applied to. Got fresh letters, built contacts and practiced that interview diligently with this book: 60 seconds and you're hired! by Robin Ryan.
Earned a couple interviews (~6) and matched to my number 1. It was a grind, but here we are.

Some tips:
  • Learn how to market yourself. Though my job was low key, it gave me the ability to learn about and subsequently talk about the administrative side of medicine intelligently. FM programs seemed to dig that and I played it off as another tool in my utility belt that I bring to the program.
  • If the opportunity presents itself, take step 3 as soon as possible (as long as you are confident you can pass). Yes, the money programs reimburse you seems nice now but if the choice is between not matching with 200k-300k debt hanging over you or spending your money $$ to pass and get that residency...spend the money and the time.
  • Humble yourself. You have come a long way, accomplished much, but don't get too full of yourself. Much of your success is built off of the silent sacrifices of others. Put your head down, do the work diligently and be grateful for every opportunity that comes your way. Confidence is not the same thing as arrogance fyi, it behooves us to learn this lesson early before life teaches it to us the hard way.
  • Practice that interview. Seriously, please take it seriously.
  • Reach out to friends and colleagues at programs- one open door is all you need!
  • Network, network, network, network, network some more. If you can, go to the specialty conference and networrrrrrrkkkkk
  • Learn from the Memphis grizzlies: Grind baby! Don't give up, keep pushing.
Hopefully there is something here that someone in the future can use to their benefit. Thank you all for your generous support, time, kind words, advice and encouragement along the way!!

Anybody else that wants to share tips or ask questions, please feel free. Best wishes to everybody grinding out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd like to contribute also. Although this is my first time applying & Matched; I'm a Carib Grad 2016, I did have a 2nd attempt on my Step 1. The forums on here helped encourage me not to give up, and keep out performing myself. I was blessed to have interviews from some well established hospitals!

Whenever it's a second attempt at anything-it takes a tremendous amount of courage and creates a sense of humbleness to assess what did I do wrong??? Taking constructive criticism from respected attending physicians/USMLE tutors helped point out my fallacies.

I practiced for each interview as if it's my ONLY interview...and luckily matched my #1!!

Congrats SXMMD! I have a tremendous amount of respect for your hard work and perseverance. I know you and I will never take for granted this opportunity, and will assure the best for our patients. Good luck, and YAY we matched!

Reactions: 1 users
This is my 1st post. pls bear with me if I am asking a repeat question. I am an IMG (non caribbean med school), graduated in 2015, Step 1 199, CS pass both 1st attempt, but failed step 2ck twice. Practice tests both times dropped to real test. Preparing to retake. Until I failed, I wanted to do IM, and worked on my sub internships in IM related specialties. Nothing to show on my resume to show FM related electives. Now I plan to apply for FM. With my stats would I be able to match to FM? If so what should I do to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Give it up. You're doomed.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my 1st post. pls bear with me if I am asking a repeat question. I am an IMG (non caribbean med school), graduated in 2015, Step 1 199, CS pass both 1st attempt, but failed step 2ck twice. Practice tests both times dropped to real test. Preparing to retake. Until I failed, I wanted to do IM, and worked on my sub internships in IM related specialties. Nothing to show on my resume to show FM related electives. Now I plan to apply for FM. With my stats would I be able to match to FM? If so what should I do to improve my chances?

Take what I say as a grain of salt, as I am just a recent graduate from a Caribbean Med school.

I'd research programs, and contact them individually. After Step 2, Take step 3 and kill it, and try to set up some audition/observer positions to showcase your skills... Contact your school and see what are your options.

Since you are saying you're an IMG...there are many options out there for an MD. You can always go into Clinical Trials research, or become a CRO at a pharmaceutical company....there's a lot you can do with an MD.

Unfortunately, if you're a non-US citizen IMG, chances are not as great as an US-IMG.

Take what I say as a grain of salt, as I am just a recent graduate from a Caribbean Med school.

I'd research programs, and contact them individually. After Step 2, Take step 3 and kill it, and try to set up some audition/observer positions to showcase your skills... Contact your school and see what are your options.

Since you are saying you're an IMG...there are many options out there for an MD. You can always go into Clinical Trials research, or become a CRO at a pharmaceutical company....there's a lot you can do with an MD.

Unfortunately, if you're a non-US citizen IMG, chances are not as great as an US-IMG.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I would echo the advice from studyaholic, I would emphasize the networking aspect and doing observerships at a program that is receptive to IMG. Make sure they're friendly with the visa issue, in case being a non-U.S. IMG requires that of you.

With regards to researching programs, I need some input. Some programs say their cut off score is ABC. Some say 1st time pass only. If a specific program is silent regarding both scores and attempts, is it okay to assume it looks at all scores as well as attempts? Or is it better to check with the program? If so, is it OK to tell my score/attempts and ask whether they would consider my app instead of applying all those silent (which recruit from schools similar to mine)? I am kind of confused as to how to put it without presenting myself in a bad light. Any suggestions?

With regards to researching programs, I need some input. Some programs say their cut off score is ABC. Some say 1st time pass only. If a specific program is silent regarding both scores and attempts, is it okay to assume it looks at all scores as well as attempts? Or is it better to check with the program? If so, is it OK to tell my score/attempts and ask whether they would consider my app instead of applying all those silent (which recruit from schools similar to mine)? I am kind of confused as to how to put it without presenting myself in a bad light. Any suggestions?

It is hard to expect a hard and fast position from a program. I know programs that I rotated through during clinical years that boast that they don't accept applicants with scores below 240's. I'll be damned if even one of their residents had above a 230. Likewise, I was denied an interview at a local program "due to score cutoffs" though my close friend, who is married to a sr resident well liked by the program, got an interview despite lower scores and a gap year with zero to show for it. The process is subjective.

I would not shed light on your scores at all unless you've got fantastic scores. Just give them your 1-2 sentence sales pitch (that you've customized for the program after appropriate research). "I'm so and so, applying in xyz region, love this specialty, would like a shot at your program. think I'm a great fit because xyz, and I bring xyz to the table that I think will benefit the program". No harm in cold calling, though not everyone appreciates it. You have to just roll up your sleeves and trudge through, hopefully 1 in 10 will respond positively. It doesnt hurt to call multiple times throughout the season, just don't call every day... unless it's January.

As far as researching programs, while some programs may truly not be in your reach most programs have data you can lean on to make an informed guess. Some programs on FREIDA will say "minimum step 1 240 minimum step 2ck 240", then you look at the segment that reads "average score of current residents: 201-220" and you get an idea of what the situation is. A lot of programs, surprisingly, let this inconsistency slip through the cracks lol. Also take a look at the program's own webpage, research the residents and their background. I hate to say it, but as an IMG myself... if the program is IMG heavy, there may be more leeway with the scores