Suck ups in class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaltom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does anybody else notice that the student's that kiss the most ass in class seem to get higher grades in operative classes much more easily?

Members don't see this ad.

Not always at my school. I mean, regardless of how much you kiss butt, if your work is inferior it's inferior. They may TELL you about it in a less harsh manner, though.

dentaltom said:
Is it me or does anybody else notice that the student's that kiss the most ass in class seem to get higher grades in operative classes much more easily?
It's like that at my school.

I call it an inferiority complex that some professors have :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
dentaltom said:

I think it's easier to get stuff checked off for those people, but practicals are about quality of work, not ability to brown-nose.

dentaltom said:

Tell me about it. Talking about Dr. Fromling butt kissers?

How exactly does one butt kiss? Asking too many questions or carrying the Professors books or something? Just in case I need to. :)

Yeah, the Fromling butt-kissers are particularly annoying, and everyone notices but the Fromster. I just wish my SDN id was more anonymous so I could....

Yeah,impossible to brownnose on practicals. But you can brown nose on weekly lab work. my lab courses, daily work accounts for between 20-40% or more of the grade. I feel my labwork is really good, I'm the only damn student in my class with loupes. The problem for me is exactly what the difference is between an 85+ and a 95. In the final grade there is a huge difference between 5 85+'s and 5 95's.

You know what, I'm kinda dissappointed that mr. aphistis hasn't thrown in his 2 cent's worth. Maybe my thread isn't good enough for the aphistis. :(

I truly DESPISE buttkissers of the class. Dental class grading is extremely subjective to begin with and the buttkissers totally come out on top through brown nosing and moreover blowing the rusty trombone (eating @$$ while stroking the c0ck at the same time).
For some reason in our particular class, over 95% of the butteaters happen to be women which makes it even harder to say anything. For instance, three women in our group have our chief attending totally wrapped around their perfectly manicured fingers. It is no surprise that they selectively get all the good cases while the rest of us get screwed over. Once in an OS rotation none of us got to do any major extractions because all the attendings (old horny males) were assigning all the patients to the butteaters. The rest of us were assigned to only assist them. The one I was assisting was grossly incompetent and her chair side manners blew chunks too. The patient told me in confidence that she did not want to be treated by this girl. There was nothing I could to but assist and watch the patient suffer.... eventually the attending came over and salvaged the extraction.
I was really frustrated at the whole situation and tried to talk to one of the girls to give the rest of us a chance to learn and meet our requirements as well.... she took real offense to it and tried to report me for harrassment.... i just let the matter go, walked out of the clinic and changed my rotation schedule.
A week later I was summoned to the deans office where on the urging of our chief attending he (the dean) was considering failing me for 'patient care management' for "unproffessional conduct." I explained the whole situation to the dean who immidiately let the issue drop and promised me no action would be taken... the chief attending still wanted to penalize me.... it was then that I threatened to sue his miserable ass.... the matter was quickly laid to rest.
Like I said the butteaters can be very malignant in some cases. From now on whenever we have a problem with one of them we have our own barrage of non butteating female students who go and confront them.

dentaltom said:
Yeah, the Fromling butt-kissers are particularly annoying, and everyone notices but the Fromster. I just wish my SDN id was more anonymous so I could....

Yeah,impossible to brownnose on practicals. But you can brown nose on weekly lab work. my lab courses, daily work accounts for between 20-40% or more of the grade. I feel my labwork is really good, I'm the only damn student in my class with loupes. The problem for me is exactly what the difference is between an 85+ and a 95. In the final grade there is a huge difference between 5 85+'s and 5 95's.

You know what, I'm kinda dissappointed that mr. aphistis hasn't thrown in his 2 cent's worth. Maybe my thread isn't good enough for the aphistis. :(

After spring break ask 2nd year students about fromling souce. Is sad when you'll ask him a question about something and he will come to your desk and stay for 2 min. But when his butt kissers ask him a question he will pretty much do all their lab project for them. So sad. :mad:

dentaltom said:

This didn't quite work for operative because of the practicals where you couldn't kiss butt. However, it rang very true in the clinic.

Advice for pre-dents/underclassmen dental students: Learn how to kiss butt. It can't hurt, especially in the clinic.

Ibo man,

I totally agree with you and the thing that sucks the most is that most students agree that the Fromster knows the most of any of the prosthodontists. So it's like you have to go to him to get the best criticism.

Oh, if you have time, do you have any good tips on checking occlusion for the lundeen? Tseng told me to use accufilm, but Hagan and Fromling said he's an idiot and accufilm wipes out contacts. :laugh:

Wow, AMMD that's pretty bad...I guess I'll stop complaining now :oops:

dentaltom said:

Here at tufts, Dr Singh has implemented a anonoymous grading system when we hand in our typodonts. We each get a random sticker with a number on it, stick it on our typodonts when we hand them in, and pick it up after its graded by handing in the rest of the ticket that is kept by the student.

Very fair and impartial if you ask me.

griffin04 said:
Advice for pre-dents/underclassmen dental students: Learn how to kiss butt. It can't hurt, especially in the clinic.

i really don't like that advice and i would never take it. i would rather have my work (good or bad) speak for itself in order for me to keep my dignity. it's ironic that most colleagues (graders and fellow students) acutally like you more when they notice that you are above asskissing. in addition you get a little respect.

at the same time if you are a very political person, and asskissing is your way, then you can kiss my ass and i will grade you indifferently.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
quickfix said:
i really don't like that advice and i would never take it. i would rather have my work (good or bad) speak for itself in order for me to keep my dignity. it's ironic that most colleagues (graders and fellow students) acutally like you more when they notice that you are above asskissing. in addition you get a little respect.

at the same time if you are a very political person, and asskissing is your way, then you can kiss my ass and i will grade you indifferently.

:)

Kissing butt in dental school doesn't just have to do with grades. There are plenty of people not involved with grading you directly in clinic but will still influence and have a piece of control over whether you will make it out of the clinic. For example, the lady who assigns the patients. She will never grade you. But those who buttered up to her would potentially get the pick of the better patients to ace those crown requirements and score big in clinic points over those who annoyed her everyday with a "all my patients suck, I need more patients" and were on her bad side. Same goes for the people in sterilization, the cashiers, the dental assistants, etc. You can certainly get by, pass, and possibly do very well without kissing butt. But mark my words - you'll see a difference in how people are treated and a chunk of it has to do with the whole notion of "brown nosing."

If someone had told me this as a first year, I wouldn't have believed it having always worked by my integrity and honesty, blah blah blah. But now that I'm out, I'm just telling you like I saw it.

Bickle said:
Here at tufts, Dr Singh has implemented a anonoymous grading system when we hand in our typodonts. We each get a random sticker with a number on it, stick it on our typodonts when we hand them in, and pick it up after its graded by handing in the rest of the ticket that is kept by the student.
Wow, that's awesome. :thumbup:

griffin04 said:
Kissing butt in dental school doesn't just have to do with grades. There are plenty of people not involved with grading you directly in clinic but will still influence and have a piece of control over whether you will make it out of the clinic. For example, the lady who assigns the patients. She will never grade you. But those who buttered up to her would potentially get the pick of the better patients to ace those crown requirements and score big in clinic points over those who annoyed her everyday with a "all my patients suck, I need more patients" and were on her bad side. Same goes for the people in sterilization, the cashiers, the dental assistants, etc. You can certainly get by, pass, and possibly do very well without kissing butt. But mark my words - you'll see a difference in how people are treated and a chunk of it has to do with the whole notion of "brown nosing."

If someone had told me this as a first year, I wouldn't have believed it having always worked by my integrity and honesty, blah blah blah. But now that I'm out, I'm just telling you like I saw it.

alrighty. you give real solid advice. best of luck. ;)

I don't mean to sound naive... but how does one exactly "brown nose" in dental school? Wouldn't most professors see through the act? Can anyone give specific examples?

Thanks.

Clipse said:
I don't mean to sound naive... but how does one exactly "brown nose" in dental school? Wouldn't most professors see through the act? Can anyone give specific examples?

Thanks.

Of course they see through it, but some just like it.

For most of us, though, being polite and friendly comes pretty naturally and that it usually enough. It is only the sociopath gunners who have to ham it up because they don't know how to interact well with people. For gunners there are only three types of people:

1. The inconsequential - who pose no threat and can safely be ignored or used as the situation warrants.

2. The competition - who must be thwarted at every turn. The general behaviors toward the competition include providing wrong information, sabotaging projects and masking profound hatred behind a thin veil of collegiality.

3. The gatekeepers - who stand between gunners and their precious A's. These are the only people for whom the gunners will even attempt to feign true affinity. And the only way they know how to fake this is by kissing butt.

If you are a normal, friendly person you will usually be treated fairly by faculty without the butt-kissing. Oh, and having a great body if you're a girl will also take you a long way.

I always thought the anonymous grading was impartial in that sense. Wait until you get to the clinic though...That is where the buttkissers(especially the women) come out ahead.

Bickle said:

Very fair and impartial if you ask me.

12YearOldKid said:
Of course they see through it, but some just like it.

For most of us, though, being polite and friendly comes pretty naturally and that it usually enough. It is only the sociopath gunners who have to ham it up because they don't know how to interact well with people. For gunners there are only three types of people:

1. The inconsequential - who pose no threat and can safely be ignored or used as the situation warrants.

2. The competition - who must be thwarted at every turn. The general behaviors toward the competition include providing wrong information, sabotaging projects and masking profound hatred behind a thin veil of collegiality.

3. The gatekeepers - who stand between gunners and their precious A's. These are the only people for whom the gunners will even attempt to feign true affinity. And the only way they know how to fake this is by kissing butt.

If you are a normal, friendly person you will usually be treated fairly by faculty without the butt-kissing. Oh, and having a great body if you're a girl will also take you a long way.

:laugh: so true, so true.

It's hard to give specific directions on "how to brown nose." But it's one of those things where you'll know when you see it. If you polled my classmates last year, they'd be pretty unanimous about the people who they considered to be the "biggest brown nosers."

"Biggest Brown Noser" was actually an award category at our 100 days party (they were all humorous awards, nothing serious). It's easy to spot the brown nosers and you'd think that the faculty would see through it, but like stated before, some of the faculty eat it up. Especially when it comes from a (flirty, pretty, thin, rich, etc.) woman.

12YearOldKid said:

Rumor has it this is what happened here. My freshman year (last year) was the first year we had a mandatory dress code policy of all scrubs, all the time. For example, freshman are dark green, sophomores are dark blue, juniors light blue, seniors, surgeon green. So the rumors are that the women in the classes before us dressed provocatively in order to smooth over the older-retired professors. I can just picture "oh doctor, would you PLEEEASE..... look at this" while wearing something showing off quite a lot of cleavage.

So overall, I do not mind whatsoever because it’s far easier to put on scrubs every day than slacks and a button-down. Also, on exam days when you are not sure of which classroom to go to, just look for the dark blue :)

Anybody else have a mandatory dress policy due to this occurrence?

-Mike

mike3kgt said:
Anybody else have a mandatory dress policy due to this occurrence?

-Mike

I think our school would be the opposite, we would probably not be allowed to wear scrubs so the girls can show it off. I think gav and few others might know what I am talkin about :cool:

griffin04 said:
:laugh: so true, so true.

It's hard to give specific directions on "how to brown nose." But it's one of those things where you'll know when you see it. If you polled my classmates last year, they'd be pretty unanimous about the people who they considered to be the "biggest brown nosers."

"Biggest Brown Noser" was actually an award category at our 100 days party (they were all humorous awards, nothing serious). It's easy to spot the brown nosers and you'd think that the faculty would see through it, but like stated before, some of the faculty eat it up. Especially when it comes from a (flirty, pretty, thin, rich, etc.) woman.

what about a guy's great body?? I been working out for nothing for those hot woman professors ? ;)