Sudden Paralyzing Terrified Cold Feet

Started by noonday
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's everyone doing?

I've started making lists compulsively. Of everything. Get coffee. Get newspaper. Take shower. Check SDN ... ad nauseum. It totally gets my mind focused from "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" to something manageable. I'm slowly getting things accomplished. Right now I'm consolidating my loans, while taking out new ones. 😛

Can't wait for the long weekend. Sun. And lots of lists. 😍
 
prana_md said:
How's everyone doing?

I've started making lists compulsively. Of everything. Get coffee. Get newspaper. Take shower. Check SDN ... ad nauseum. It totally gets my mind focused from "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" to something manageable. I'm slowly getting things accomplished. Right now I'm consolidating my loans, while taking out new ones. 😛

Can't wait for the long weekend. Sun. And lots of lists. 😍
I am experiencing the magic of huge and immediate debt as well.

I will be going to the Cherry Creek Arts Festival this weekend, so that'll be fun. I've been busy getting all of the things done for school - getting a physical, finding immuno records, new glasses, signing leases, getting out of leases, etc.

Here's something on compulsive list-writing.Enjoy. Now I have to get back to work.
 
prana -- add GPS service to your cellphone ($10/mo) and you'll be all set for LA. just make sure you have plenty of good music to negotiate the traffic jams. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
prana_md said:
How's everyone doing?

I've started making lists compulsively. Of everything. Get coffee. Get newspaper. Take shower. Check SDN ... ad nauseum. It totally gets my mind focused from "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" to something manageable. I'm slowly getting things accomplished. Right now I'm consolidating my loans, while taking out new ones. 😛

Can't wait for the long weekend. Sun. And lots of lists. 😍


lists...

i was making lists, because i thought that if i wrote everything down it wouldn't seem like as much to do. and that it would be soothing to check things off. after a few pages (divided into work/school prep/clinic/moving/and random) of items, it freaked me out even more, so i threw them away.

the anxiety has turned into this constant low-level nausea combined with feeling that i could burst into tears at any moment.

bah!!!

going to go on vacation for the long weekend. going to try not to think about it for a few days. going to try the get one thing done at a time route for now...
 
noonday said:
the anxiety has turned into this constant low-level nausea combined with feeling that i could burst into tears at any moment.

bah!!!

going to go on vacation for the long weekend. going to try not to think about it for a few days. going to try the get one thing done at a time route for now...

oh, yeah. that doesn't go away. my tears were slightly mitigated by the act of getting something done. more tears afterwards.

E
 
I can't tell you all how much I love this thread! I thought I was odd, feeling so anxious when I should be so excited to begin what I really want to do.
And I'm not at all nervous about the school part of things--it's all this life stuff that has me a nervous/nauseous wreck! This summer has been unexpectedly hard.

We just signed a contract to sell our cute house that we love and that we've only been in for a year. We're now swimming upstream to find a place closer to school. The housing situation is weird b/c we're in the New Orleans area--the house we're selling is on the high and dry northshore and we're moving to the flood-prone southshore. I am sure we will be the only moving truck in that direction.


Sometimes I feel selfish for dragging my husband down this path when all of our friends are already "grown-ups" w/kids and such, but then he just tells me to stop being so silly, that he's excited to do this too. I just love that boy! 😍

I'm sure I'll feel better once the big housing piece of the pie is settled and I can just concentrate on having a bit of relaxation before the fun begins.
 
noonday said:
So, I was fortunate enough to get into school for this coming fall. Have been excited about it since getting in a few months ago, have been getting the paperwork in, the financial aid set, gave notice at my job, etc.

I know I should be nothing but happy, and I know it's almost rude to be writing all this, and I apologize for that. I'm just hoping someone who's gone through this part of the non-trad thing might be able to be of help...

Tonight I think it all hit me, what all this means, and I don't know if I can do it. I don't mean actually doing well in school, I'm not worried about that, nor being able to be a good doctor -- I think that'll go ok, too. I just don't know if I can do what I need to do to get through the transition. I have to move back across the country again to where I happily left, thinking I'd never go back. I have to leave a career that I've built up for 8 years. I have to leave the life I've built where I've lived for the past 6 -- not just job, but flatmates and friends, social groups, volunteer groups, activist activities, even just the scenery that's become my home. I did a lot of moving around prior to living here, and I'd thought for so long that this was it, this was home finally.

I think I'd been deluding myself somehow into thinking that I could keep being a geologist AND become a doctor. That going to the latter didn't really mean trashing what has been 8 years of my life's work. That really, leaving my entire social network would be fine and I'd make a new one and that somehow I'd been misremembering how hard it was to build the one I have here, now.

I'm just so scared. 🙁

Noonday,

I really have to sympathize with you.

For me I get periods of ups and downs. Sometimes I'm really happy about going to medical school. Then there have been nights when I will actually not be able to sleep because I am so down right scared about what being a physician entails.

I feel like I have a lot of weaknesses sometime ~ what if I kill a patient because I was incompetent?...

...What if I treat someone and that person's family doesn't qualify for medicare/medicaid and isn't well to do enough to afford health insurance? A lot of people file for Chaptre 13 because of their medical bills....


....That sort of thing.

(I need to take a chill pill ) :laugh: :laugh:
 
a_ditchdoc said:
I can relate, in a way, to the fears you are having. I surrendered a job I held for 12 years, and still loved, in order to atend medical school. Although I, and my employer, always knew what my goals were, it was still difficult to leave. In a period of one month I quit my job, sold my house, gave away my belongings, said my goodbyes, and left to a country torn with conflict. A place where I had no personal, religious, or idealogical ties.

Prior to leaving, although I never had many doubts about what I wanted to do, or was going to do, I was sick at the thought of leaving my family for four years. They had often depended on me and I served as the mediator for the family and offered some degree of stability and financial support when needed. I did the most selfish thing I had ever considered, I left them for a place six thousand miles away. Their protests did nothing to change my mind, but did a lot to increase the morning nausea I experienced prior to leaving and the guilt I would later come to have. I still didn't hesitate as I boarded the plane. I was doing what I had always wanted to do.

My initial integration into my new environment was less than smoothe to say the least. For the first few months I continued to live from my suitcases. I filled my house with plants to remind me of the greenery of home. Buddhist chants resonated through my apartment at all times of the day and night. The calls I expected from my friends and long time coworkers never came...the e-mails were rather sparse as well. Academically I struggled. During my first visit home my classmates wondered if I would return. I was actually wondering the same thing. But, it all passed.

It has been three years now. My family has survived wonderfully without me and have become strong supporters as I pursue my dreams. I rarely miss my job lthough I keep in touch with my friends. Academically I am doing well. I even let all of my plants die...well, it was unintentional neglect. It has not been an easy path. The fears I had concerning medical school were never realized. The truth is, it is much easier, and harder, than you can imagine at the moment. I know, you think I contradicted myself. Let me explain. The difficulties that you have imagined, are not the ones that you are necessarily going to face. The long hours you anticipate, the days without sleep, will probably only be transient periods before exams and during a few clinical rotations. I have had more consistent sleep in medical school than I ever had before. Studying tirelessly until the wee hours of the morning are seldom required if you are at all efficient. Wondering if you were meant to be among all of the "gifted" students that are in your class will also resolve itself, there will be people stronger and weaker than yourself. You will have many opportunities to discover who you truly are. In fact, you will have an edge over your classmates that went from highschool, to college, to medical school. Most of them know little about life in the sense that you do. The maturity level was initially astounding to me, but I was surprised at how quickly our maturity levels met in the middle (Theirs increased, mine regressed).

You initial efforts should be placed on getting comfortable in you environment and making peace with yourself about your decision. The academics will take care of themselves when your thoughts are not dwelling on other things. If they let you into medical school, you are certainly capable of making it to the end. Medical school is no different than your undergraduate with the exception that the volume is increased. Someone once likened it to trying to soak up a river with a paper towel. It sometimes seems futile to even try. There is so much to learn that you will never catch it all, just do your best to soak up what you can as it rushes by.

I wish you all the best on your new journey...

Thank you. And Godbless you :luck:
 
I also sympathize with this. However, I just keep reminding myself that no one ever said fulfilling your destiny would be easy or carefree. In the end, it makes it all the more worth it.
 
Dr Trek 1 said:
I also sympathize with this. However, I just keep reminding myself that no one ever said fulfilling your destiny would be easy or carefree. In the end, it makes it all the more worth it.

i really wish i felt that way, and that i believed in some sort of destiny. i just don't.

just got back from NY where i got an apartment, came back to work to realize i have 16 work days (not counting weekend days) left here. 16 days left of doing this kind of science. 16 days left of using my id at the gate, of seeing the view of the bay, of being a federal employee here. 16 days of being the one in the know before being the student again. 16 days. it's not long enough. i need more time...

i don't believe in destiny. i just believe in choices. and choices mean you can make the wrong one for you. i'm panicking that this is the wrong one for me now...i think i'll be ok by october, but i really really don't know how i'll get there, still. the nausea. the crying fits. the sleepless nights. the sheer terror. the panic attacks. and i agree with whoever also said that it's NOT a fear of practicing medicine. i'll be fine at that. it's the fear that this is my one life, and this is such a huge choice and there are no do-overs. and what if it's wrong?

ugh.
 
noon, I'm not sure what to say other than I've got to believe that if I'm in your shoes a year for today, I'm 99% sure I'll be bouncing off the walls excited.

I went through this stuff last summer when I was trying to decide if it was even worth it to get started on trying to go back to MS...

Now that I'm in it, I figure if I get in, it will have been a colossal waste of time and money if I chicken out...plus, I know I can't do this forever...

If it's not right for you (and I'm starting to wonder, as sentimental as you are about your job), maybe it's best you not go?
 
That being said, I can totally understand nervous excitement, but am having trouble grasping why it's just now hitting you...

We are also probably in polar opposite positions...I'm looking at Med School as a way out and have absolutely no connection in any way to what I do, where I live, etc...
 
MJB said:
noon, I'm not sure what to say other than I've got to believe that if I'm in your shoes a year for today, I'm 99% sure I'll be bouncing off the walls excited.


If it's not right for you (and I'm starting to wonder, as sentimental as you are about your job), maybe it's best you not go?

But you might not be. I thought I would be ecstatic right now, too, but I'm not. I'm scared, sad, worried, and like noonday, it's not about being a doctor or even the rigor of med school. It's just hard to turn your whole life upside down, to go from making money to borrowing money, to uproot your spouse and cats, to move. It's a big, big change, and big changes make people nervous regardless of the rightness or wrongness of the change.

Hell, I was super sentimental about leaving my job in my last few weeks of work, while I couldn't wait to get out of the place in the months preceeding that. My job had turned into a dead-end thing with deteriorating work conditions, and yet I still felt bad about leaving at the end, which was entirely irrational and not something to act on.
 
You're right, I could end up feeling that way..who knows.

I think what's helping is that we just went through this with my wife going back to school to get her nursing degree...

I've actually thought about quitting work and heading back to school full time this fall to repeat some classes, but don't want to do that to us financially.
 
noonday said:
...just got back from NY where i got an apartment, came back to work to realize i have 16 work days (not counting weekend days) left here. 16 days left of doing this kind of science. 16 days left of using my id at the gate, of seeing the view of the bay, of being a federal employee here. 16 days of being the one in the know before being the student again. 16 days. it's not long enough. i need more time
I agree. I have so many things to do before I finish, I just don't know how I'm going to do them all. I start classes in a month in 3 days. Somewhere in there I'll move my fiance's stuff, my stuff, get bank accounts set up, close down my job, finish all of my projects, get ready for my conference in September, buy a new computer, get new glasses...and move 1800 miles to a new apartment and town. I agree. I wish I could have more time. Everything seems to be moving a little fast.
noonday said:
...it's the fear that this is my one life, and this is such a huge choice and there are no do-overs. and what if it's wrong?
Yes, that's a big risk. My fiance has told me that she's worried that I've built up medicine into being something wonderful, and when I realize it's not all peaches and cream, I'll be back where I started. But I believe that I've examined myself and my life-goals enough to know that this is what's best for me. The worst-case senario may take place - I may hate medicine and everything that goes with it. But even then I can say that I tried it, and if it didn't work out, then I KNOW it didn't work out. There will be no 'what ifs' to haunt me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RxnMan said:
My fiance has told me that she's worried that I've built up medicine into being something wonderful, and when I realize it's not all peaches and cream, I'll be back where I started.

She's right, it's not all peaches and cream. Mostly it's bad cafeteria food. But get some Tums and you'll do fine.
 
exlawgrrl said:
But you might not be. I thought I would be ecstatic right now, too, but I'm not. I'm scared, sad, worried, and like noonday, it's not about being a doctor or even the rigor of med school. It's just hard to turn your whole life upside down, to go from making money to borrowing money, to uproot your spouse and cats, to move. It's a big, big change, and big changes make people nervous regardless of the rightness or wrongness of the change.

Hell, I was super sentimental about leaving my job in my last few weeks of work, while I couldn't wait to get out of the place in the months preceeding that. My job had turned into a dead-end thing with deteriorating work conditions, and yet I still felt bad about leaving at the end, which was entirely irrational and not something to act on.


exactly. a year ago, having to stay here a year seemed an impossible eternity. i could wait. and in the winter when i wasn't getting interviews i was miserable. and when there was a catch after acceptance with one of my classes, and for a few days i fell back into thinking i wasn't going, i swear i almost drove off the bridge. my sentimentality is irrational. but change is really hard and scary, and i've been here a long, long time.

i've recognized all this: it's the stages of dying. it's grieving the impending loss. the death of one life, with another starting. and no matter how the next one will be, nor the bad parts of this one, it's an ending, a dying, and while i'm still nauseous and near tears all the time, it helps to acknowledge that process, i think. we're built evolutionarily to fear and avoid change. it's normal. but it still sucks.
 
noon, if it makes you feel any better, I've yet to meet a Doc that went back to school after being in the workforce for more than 5 or 6 years that regrets their decision to give it all up for a shot at medicine.

The one difference I see is that you appear to like your job, maybe even love it...and most of these folks, while not hating their former jobs, were ready for something new.

It is this sampling of docs I've talked to that gives me confidence that we are all doing the right things...No person that didn't want it very bad would go through what we're going through or have gone through.

I wish you luck, and know you'll be fine..if you weren't scared at all, I think that would be more reason to worry.

Just my .02.

🙂
 
Law2Doc said:
She's right, it's not all peaches and cream. Mostly it's bad cafeteria food. But get some Tums and you'll do fine.
I don't mind telling you, but I've been to a few hospital cafeterias, and by far the best one is at the children's hospital. The salad's fresh, not rotting, and the dinners and breakfasts are good. I was amazed at the quality. But then again, the food at University was either so bad, or so expensive, that I always packed my lunch, which was probably better for my wallet and waistline...