Suffering from Depression from Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so depressed. I am getting rejected left and right from med schools. I have a pile of rejection letters from M.D. schools saying they could not give me an interview etc. I took the mcat twice and did not do well enough for the M.D. schools (don't know if good enough for the D.O schools - I applied to only three).

Sometimes I think this endeavor is a waste of time, although I dont' regret doing it. I left my job at 25 to do a post bac and apply to med schools. I went to six universities during undergrad because I was ill. Originally, I wanted to do premed but because of circumstance beyond my control I got a degree in business.

Two of my friends my age are M.D.s doing their residencies now and they seem to have a smoother life. They did premed and went to med school right after. I spoke with them about where I stand in the application process and they said maybe I wasn't met to be a doctor. Maybe they are right because medicine is a special field because it requires a lot of time, energy, money, and luck too. All these things make the process of becoming a doctor a lot easier and I only have one thing (energy) and it is running out from frustration. Maybe they are right that I just wasn't meant to be a doctor, although its something I really wanted to do.

I just feel that a person's path in life is sometimes shaped by the things that happen in life and beyond our control and that it is a struggle trying to get back on track and reach the goals that we had in mind. Its so tough fighting against the current when the current is so strong and a lot of things are against you. I dont' want to struggle anymore each day because it only brings pain. I asked my friends why they wanted to be doctors and I was surprised by their response. They said their parents wanted them to be doctors and that's why they became doctors. I feel parenting has a lot to do with what profession a person goes into (my parents are blue collar). So I can see they have it a lot easier in terms of financial support, encouragement etc.

I hope everyone gets into med school (myself included) and that the process is a fruitful one!

Members don't see this ad.

Well let me start off by saying if you listen to what someone else says then you will never get what you want and I can tell you that from personal experience. No one know what you are capable of doing except YOU! Who knows your friends could have the whole demigod syndrome and tell that to everyone but I could be wrong. If you want to be a doctor and do not get into any schools this year, find a job at a hospital or volunteer at night or when you are not working to get a ton of medical experience up under your belt (if you do not have much now). Do what ever you can to beef up your application. If you don't mind saying, what are you stats? What schools did you apply to? If you truely like the DO schools then its not really to late to apply to more DO schools. Just fill out the "add more schools application" pronto. Yes, it will cost more money but it could pay off in the end. If you are going to do that do it now because the holiday season will slow down the application process tremendously. You still have a shot at some of the schools that have later application deadlines. Keep us up to date!

LATER and Good Luck

dude11 said:
I am so depressed. I am getting rejected left and right from med schools. I have a pile of rejection letters from M.D. schools saying they could not give me an interview etc. I took the mcat twice and did not do well enough for the M.D. schools (don't know if good enough for the D.O schools - I applied to only three).

Sometimes I think this endeavor is a waste of time, although I dont' regret doing it. I left my job at 25 to do a post bac and apply to med schools. I went to six universities during undergrad because I was ill. Originally, I wanted to do premed but because of circumstance beyond my control I got a degree in business.

Two of my friends my age are M.D.s doing their residencies now and they seem to have a smoother life. They did premed and went to med school right after. I spoke with them about where I stand in the application process and they said maybe I wasn't met to be a doctor. Maybe they are right because medicine is a special field because it requires a lot of time, energy, money, and luck too. All these things make the process of becoming a doctor a lot easier and I only have one thing (energy) and it is running out from frustration. Maybe they are right that I just wasn't meant to be a doctor, although its something I really wanted to do.

I just feel that a person's path in life is sometimes shaped by the things that happen in life and beyond our control and that it is a struggle trying to get back on track and reach the goals that we had in mind. Its so tough fighting against the current when the current is so strong and a lot of things are against you. I dont' want to struggle anymore each day because it only brings pain. I asked my friends why they wanted to be doctors and I was surprised by their response. They said their parents wanted them to be doctors and that's why they became doctors. I feel parenting has a lot to do with what profession a person goes into (my parents are blue collar). So I can see they have it a lot easier in terms of financial support, encouragement etc.

I hope everyone gets into med school (myself included) and that the process is a fruitful one!

Members don't see this ad :)
if your stats are 3.0-3.4 g.p.a and 21-24 mcat you can certainly get into a podiatric medical school. come join the podiatric (podiatry) forum and you can get all the information you want. good luck.

I KNOW how you feel. My best friend and I applied with the same stats in undergrad and both got interviews. I got two and my friend got one. I got waitlisted at both schools and my friend got matched to a MD school. I didn't get in that year, and became severly depressed. To make things worse, most of the people I knew in my class got accepted somewhere and there I was feeling sorry for myself. That was the hardest year of my life. NO ONE could understand the pain I was going through. I busted my ass working 32hrs on the weekends and going to class during the week most of my undergrad. I had to be self motivated b/c I didn't recieve any support from my family. I really had to reevaluate my priorities at that time but also became filled with self doubt about my qualifications for a life in medicine. Working in the hospital really helped me to stay on track. I realized that life is so finite that to not pursue ones dreams would be such a waste. I would live life with regret and always think of what if... Well I completed a postbacc program, applied to med school 3X, took the MCAT 3X and got in this year. I'm 26 now and most of my friends in undergrad are already 4th years, but thats all relative in the grand scheme of things. I'm looking forward to living my dream and I don't think you should give up. EVER!

I am going to tell you what my mother always told me. If you don't know where you are going you will wind up somewhere else!

Only you can decide what you want to be. Ultimately though I don't believe in teh "maybe I'm not cut out for this stuff" or that circumstances dictate what happens to me. Overcoming obstacles is what life is all about and getting into medical school is no different. If this is what you want....then do it and do it relentlessly!!!!! Don't stop improving your application....your persistence will pay off! But if it is what you want.....and you are persistent....you will get in! Maybe not this cycle but that's okay, some of the greatest people in history were considered failures most of their lives! I too was considered one in highshchool....in fact most of my teachers in high school were shocked I even went college.

But here's the bottom line! NEVER let anyone tell you what you are meant to do, what type of person you should be, or make decisions for you that will not make you happy! Take pride in being a persistent person who is determined to achieve their goals!

Blessings
Bodyworksweety

Over two years ago I left my job to pursue my dreams of becoming a physician. During undergraduate I was a premed who did pretty well, graduating with a 3.9. I decided not to pursue medicine because I was very unsure of what I wanted to do. Then 4 years of a desk job and long hours on the phone everyday, I took a leap of faith and I finally decided to go to medical school. Almost all of my prereq were done, so I thought I would hurry up finish those, take my MCAT and apply during the next application cycle. Now two years later, three application cycles, 2 MCATs and 2 years working as medical assistant, I was finally accepted to 3 schools and had interviews scheduled which I cancelled at 3 more. I have been depressed about numerous rejection letters, a billion and one doctors telling me to not do this and the years passing by that I am not doing what I want. However, I have never lost sight of my goal and each year and experience has made me stronger. Each part of this whole process has helped me see other sides of medicine and what kind of physician I want to be. If you are truly dedicated to your dream of becoming a physician, no one but yourself can stop you from accomplishing it. If you want to be a DO and your stats are placing road blocks, drive around them by taking more classes, study hard and get good grades. Take the MCAT again, maybe taking off some time after taking those classes to dedicate just to studying for it. I don't know what your numbers are and maybe they are good enough and you just need some experience or volunteer work or research experience. All of these things take time but you can fix them if you want to, it just may not be in the time frame you want. Just realize we have a lifetime to do this in and you are only wasting it if you have no goals or are not trying to accomplish your goals.

Good luck

AZCOM Class of 2010

dude11 said:
I am so depressed. I am getting rejected left and right from med schools. ...

Dude, here is my advice. Adopt the attitude that failure is NOT an option. Decide right now that you will do whatever it takes to achieve your goals(within ethical bounds). I'm 41 years old. I have a 3.0 from my undergrad work in engineering. I've been admitted to 4 schools so far and have been invited for 12 interviews. If I can do it you can too. It's gut check time, one of many to come if you plan to go to medical school.

If being a doctor is what you want to do, then you must not let anything stop you. Get up, dust yourself off, and get back in the fight! What fails to kill you makes you stronger.

robh said:
Dude, here is my advice. Adopt the attitude that failure is NOT an option. Decide right now that you will do whatever it takes to achieve your goals(within ethical bounds). I'm 41 years old. I have a 3.0 from my undergrad work in engineering. I've been admitted to 4 schools so far and have been invited for 12 interviews. If I can do it you can too. It's gut check time, one of many to come if you plan to go to medical school.

If being a doctor is what you want to do, then you must not let anything stop you. Get up, dust yourself off, and get back in the fight! What fails to kill you makes you stronger.

Let me add my two cents worth of encouragement to the above post .... I applied in 1981 and 1982 (without a prayer of a chance). Got multiple rejections both years and said to hell with it, went active duty military for several years, then nursing school, worked as an RN in the ICU for two years, then nurse anesthetist school. I've been working as a CRNA since 1995 - but still the "itch" never left.

After debating back and forth with myself, I realized I didn't want to lie on my deathbed still wondering, "what if ???". So here comes Princeton review to knock off tons of rust, lining up references, etc.

Bottom line: I got in this time around with moderately respectable stats, and I'm 49, WHICH IS JUST A NUMBER. Physiologically I'm barely 30. And after doing open-heart anesthesia 60 hours/week I still feel mentally sharp on the weekends.

If I can do it, not giving up after all those years, then ANYONE CAN !
-------------------------------------------------

VCOM, class of 2010

jcr_massage said:
I am going to tell you what my mother always told me. If you don't know where you are going you will wind up somewhere else!

Only you can decide what you want to be. Ultimately though I don't believe in teh "maybe I'm not cut out for this stuff" or that circumstances dictate what happens to me. Overcoming obstacles is what life is all about and getting into medical school is no different. If this is what you want....then do it and do it relentlessly!!!!! Don't stop improving your application....your persistence will pay off! But if it is what you want.....and you are persistent....you will get in! Maybe not this cycle but that's okay, some of the greatest people in history were considered failures most of their lives! I too was considered one in highshchool....in fact most of my teachers in high school were shocked I even went college.

But here's the bottom line! NEVER let anyone tell you what you are meant to do, what type of person you should be, or make decisions for you that will not make you happy! Take pride in being a persistent person who is determined to achieve their goals!

Blessings
Bodyworksweety

Wow! That just inspired me!

Why do we have to defend our dreams ??

dude11 said:

It may not be too late to apply to more DO schools. Apply to the schools that have branches in different states such as Brandenton, or Georgia PCOM. These new branches of the schools will need students to establish themselves and your chances will be better there.

There are many people on SDN here who can help you out. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There are many non-traditional graduates that are here on SDN to help you out. Some of them are well in their 30s and 40s. Try searching the forum a little bit in the Post Bach and Non Traditional sections and you will see numerous post by them. You have peers here.

Also comming to SDN is a huge plus even if you don't know it yet.

Medicine is difficult no doubt. Your friends might say that you are not meant to be a doctor. But I say that you are meant to be a doctor.

I just feel that a person's path in life is sometimes shaped by the things that happen in life and beyond our control and that it is a struggle trying to get back on track and reach the goals that we had in mind. Its so tough fighting against the current when the current is so strong and a lot of things are against you. I dont' want to struggle anymore each day because it only brings pain. I asked my friends why they wanted to be doctors and I was surprised by their response. They said their parents wanted them to be doctors and that's why they became doctors. I feel parenting has a lot to do with what profession a person goes into (my parents are blue collar) So I can see they have it a lot easier in terms of financial support, encouragement etc.

First off, let me say this to you and please keep it in mind: Jesus Christ was a blue collar worker. He was a carpenter.

So you see, God likes blue collar workers :) :)

I am going to pray for you right here on SDN if you request me to. I will do it if you want me to. I'll make a sermon for all the pre-med DO students if you want me to! :clap:

trinityalumnus said:
Let me add my two cents worth of encouragement to the above post .... I applied in 1981 and 1982 (without a prayer of a chance). Got multiple rejections both years and said to hell with it, went active duty military for several years, then nursing school, worked as an RN in the ICU for two years, then nurse anesthetist school. I've been working as a CRNA since 1995 - but still the "itch" never left.

After debating back and forth with myself, I realized I didn't want to lie on my deathbed still wondering, "what if ???". So here comes Princeton review to knock off tons of rust, lining up references, etc.

Bottom line: I got in this time around with moderately respectable stats, and I'm 49, WHICH IS JUST A NUMBER. Physiologically I'm barely 30. And after doing open-heart anesthesia 60 hours/week I still feel mentally sharp on the weekends.

If I can do it, not giving up after all those years, then ANYONE CAN !
-------------------------------------------------

VCOM, class of 2010

Trinity, you're my hero! Good job! :thumbup:

When I interviewed at Penn State last week, I told my interviewer that I didn't want to do surgery or any heavy duty sub-specialty because I wanted to get out of residency before I retire. He laughed and said that this year they had an applicant who was 70 years old! I would love to meet her. That has to be a good story...

CatsandCradles said:
......I am going to pray for you right here on SDN if you request me to. I will do it if you want me to. I'll make a sermon for all the pre-med DO students if you want me to! :clap:

A. T. Still's father was a Methodist pastor (and a physician).

trinityalumnus said:
A. T. Still's father was a Methodist pastor (and a physician).

You know, John Wesley, one of the founders of the Methoidist Church (He was an Anglican/Episcopalian) wrote a lot of his sermons on medical care for the poor. There was a lot of severe poverty in England during his time.

Kind of interesting. I know Wesley not only was a wandering preacher, but he was also a wandering healer.

AT Still was also a preacher himself, though not as successful as his father. His autobiography, which the links can be found on SDN somewhere has much refference to his faith and service.

I was in the same boat that you are in...You just need to hang in there. I also was rejected from MD schools (not even getting an interview) bc of my low MCAT score. Then this year I applied to D.O. schools, had 3 interviews, and got into all 3. So, trust me, it will happen. What is your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

It's tough when the people around you are being negative, but if you really want to be a doctor, stay positive. Good luck, hope this helps.

dude11 said: