Sufficient clinical experience for reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VisionaryTics

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, I've not been very successful in this admissions cycle. My adviser and I both attribute this to the fact that I didn't have very much clinical experience when I sent in my AMCAS last June (just like 20 hours shadowing. Yeah, I'm an idiot.)

So, since then, I've worked an inpatient ward for three months, 12 hrs/week, and an emergency department, 4 hrs per week both semesters.

I've shadowed for about 15 hours since last June and hope to add about 20 hours more in May and June before sending in my app (totaling 55-60 hours).

I know re-applicants usually have to demonstrate that they've made some ground up in their deficiencies. Do you guys feel that this clinical experience demonstrates that or should I perhaps wait a year and reapply (I'm doing EMT-B training this summer and working/volunteering during the rest of the year)? The danger is that my MCAT (May 2009, 35Q) may expire.

What do you think?

GPA? Schools you applied to? MCAT break down?

Your work and shadowing seem good. Your MCAT is good for three years at most schools, so no need to worry too much.

You may want this thread moved to the Re-App forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment much about your school selection (I know nothing about mid-west or east cost schools), but you may want to apply to at least 15 schools, and apply to plenty with a 10th percentile that includes your GPA (this info is found in the MSAR book).

Your GPA is OK, as you know (look at my MD apps). Your MCAT is very nice.

Be sure to think about your LORs, and re-write your PS and have it edited very well by others.

How much did you practice for your interviews?

As an EMT-B, it added very little to my app. You should just volunteer more and keep up your shadowing, IMHO.

Call up the schools and see whether you can get exit interviews from them, where they will tell you what is good and bad in your app.

Good luck.

With that low of a GPA (below 10th%tile for acceptance at many many school) you might want to actually spend next year doing an SMP or a post-bacc (informal or otherwise) while volunteering.

I'm not saying that you won't get in, but you must apply very broadly (and DO too) if you don't plan on raising the GPA.

I recommend getting an MSAR so you don't waste money applying to schools with high GPA threshold.

This is just my opinion, but unless you are just beginning to decide to become a physician I think purely shadowing has limited value on an application. Volunteering in E.R. units, getting a EMT or CNA license, doing clinical research, or another medically related job would be more worthwhile. Especially because you can generally get some shadowing time as part of your position.

I shadowed a few doctors when I first thought about going into medicine, but I never put it in my AMCAS as an activity. I just mentioned it in my personal statement as part of my decision making process. Since it sounds like you are now going to have a year between going to medical school and your undergrad, I would find a job that offers clinical experience. Being a clinical research assistant/coordinator is a great position for spanning both research and clinical experience. Also working with non-profit groups or public health organizations like the CDC can be very useful in gaining a broader view of healthcare.

Just make sure the things you become involved with accurately reflect your passions. Don't just volunteer in an E.R. because that's what premeds do. I know people who have gotten into fantastic medical schools without volunteering or without doing any research.

I'll end up with a 3.50-3.55 cGPA and sGPA at the end of this semester. Before you hammer me on that, the average cGPA for med school matriculants at my university is between 3.40 and 3.45 and the average sGPA is between 3.30 and 3.35.

35Q MCAT (12 PS, 12 BS, 11 VR).

I'm from Illinois and go to a Catholic university so I applied to UIC, Rush (interviews at both of those, rejected by Rush, still waiting from UIC despite a 9/22 interview), Northwestern, U of Chicago, Boston Univ., Vanderbilt, Case Western, Creighton, Emory, SLU, MCW, Loyola, Indiana, and Georgetown. A bit top-heavy (I was giddy from my MCAT at the time).

I have lots of ECs otherwise.

I think that you've improved everything enough to have a god enough chance of getting in this second time around that its worth it for you to spend the 2,000 and apply again. Get your PS rewritten and everything.

But you're missing the huge thing here... and its that YOU ARE STILL IN THE HUNT AT UIC... You'd better be sending an update letter now, you have a huge amount of new clinical and volunteer experience that needs to be taken into account, and a letter of intent after May 15th.

I have an MSAR, and, like I said, my GPA is not low for my school. The average cGPA for med school matriculants from my school is between a 3.40 and a 3.45.

Maybe your school has gotten very lucky because the average GPA for entering medical students is around a 3.7 (higher at many of the schools you applied to)... Unless your school has a reputation for being extremely hard (MIT, Harvard, etc)... it doesn't really matter what the average matriculants are you will be compared with GPA's from everyone else applying.

I agree with the suggestion if you are going to wait a year to look into an SMP or post-bac. That seems to me to be the biggest weakness on your application. Also, you said you hadn't heard back from one of the schools you interviewed at- have you sent them an update letter talking about your recent increase in clinical experience? If you haven't it might be good idea to do so.