suggest a cheap moving company?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ummm,

Not sure if this is the right forum-- but does anyone care to share some awesome moving deals/companies? I'm moving from the northeast to southeast and am curious if anyone has had bragging rights on affordable moves.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing the same move - ended up using Adam's movers from Norristown PA. Not the cheapest but seemed to be legit. The problem with going really cheap is that there are a lot of scams and they are they ones that gen give you the cheapest estimates. Check out the website www.movingscam.com (maybe www.movingscams.com, don't remember for sure) - there's a movers black list and also forum discussions about different companies.

be wary of cheap moving companies. I just went through this relatively recently. 2 movers showed up 4 days late, things missing, items soaked in water (said the items had to be transferred from truck a to b) and the dudes were so strung out they couldnt even move anything. I mhad o help with the entire move. Now trying to collect for missing items- and getting no where. Be very careful.

Man, after hearing these stories maybe I AM better off uhauling it.

Man, after hearing these stories maybe I AM better off uhauling it.

See these threads for lots of info. I stickied them last year so that when this ? started getting asked this year I wouldn't have to hunt through the archives to find them again.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=366871
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=317229
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=273294

Basically it boils down to 4 basic options.

1. Rent a truck and either load/unload yourself or hire dudes to do it for you.
2. Use PODS or something similar if available in your area.
3. Hire a reputable moving company and prepare to pay for it (or hire a cheap one and prepare to pay for it).
4. Sell everything that doesn't fit in your car, drive to where you're going, buy all new stuff.

You will find recommendations for all of those options in the threads highlighted above.

Cheap isn't always better. Regardless of who you go with check them out on the Better Business Bureau website. They don't have to be a member to receive complaints on this site. It helped me to decide who to use. I picked the company with the best BBB rating as well as the company that was the cheapest :D . I will definitely check out the moving scams site.

Two Men and a Truck was outstanding for me. My program gave us a $1500 moving allowance. I called to get an estimate, and they quoted me a figure somewhere around $2000. I told them about the movie allowance, and told them that I would call back after checking out a few more companies. Within a couple of hours, they called me back to inform me that they would move me for a flat $1500, taxes and fees included. So I immediately went with them. They were extremely professional...showed up when they were supposed to and moved my things promptly that day (about a 5 hour move). They loaded everything up and unloaded everything to my new house into the location I requested. None of my stuff was damaged. I didn't really lift a finger.

So my points are
#1) To recommend Two Men and a Truck as a specific company to check into based on my good personal experience.
#2) To let you know that moving fees are definitely negotiable. I think a lot of these companies want your business...so shop your job around. If there is a company you prefer, but has a slightly higher rate, inform them of that and they might be willing to reduce it to get the job.

agreed, great experiences with penske. Brand new trucks, ready when quoted, look for online and AAA discounts. Never Uhauling again...