Suggested format of personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtritt2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went on some website that had the 10 do's and don'ts of the personal statement. Under the do's it was stated that you should basically include a intro, thesis, body and conclusion. I wasn't planning on doing it this way. Should I? I was planning on making it more of a dialogue than an essay you would turn into a class. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, it is safe to follow the format. Although I have seen people write exceptional personal statements that deviated from the standard format. But you also fall into destroying your personal statement.
Personally, if you get the point across and your voice and back it up with the statement, go for it! But if you don't feel to confident, then you might reconsider.

I'm just a little worried I'm going to end sounding bland in the standard essay format.
We'll see. Any added suggestions, comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen some personal statements that follow the 'standard' format and have been interesting and exceptional. I bought this book to give me some ideas on personal statements..check it out...i suggest just going to a barnes and noble and read it instead of buying it. I has something like 50 real personal statements. Some bad, some really good. It was written by a few med students. Hope this helps.
Medical School Admissions : The Insider's Guide (Medical School Admissions 1999)

Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out.