Suggested Medical Schools That Consider SMPs greatly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naeu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for medical schools that will consider your SMP work highly instead of looking solely at GPA. I wasn't sure which schools would use a holistic approach when choosing candidates.

If anyone had any tips on how to choose medical schools to apply to, I am all open ears!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about SMP's in general as a category, but Med Schools do tend to look fondly upon their own SMP programs.

SDNers have reported good luck when acing SMPs AND MCATs (> 3.6 and 33) with:

Tulane
state schools
Case
BU
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Vanderbilt
Rosy franklin
Loyola
Any DO school.

Those MD schools that have their own SMPs (Gtown, Mt Sinai) might also be amenable.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for medical schools that will consider your SMP work highly instead of looking solely at GPA. I wasn't sure which schools would use a holistic approach when choosing candidates.

If anyone had any tips on how to choose medical schools to apply to, I am all open ears!

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SDNers have reported good luck when acing SMPs AND MCATs (> 3.6 and 33) with:

Tulane
state schools
Case
BU
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Vanderbilt
Rosy franklin
Loyola
Any DO school.

Those MD schools that have their own SMPs (Gtown, Mt Sinai) might also be amenable.
Now would these schools look at you only if you went to her SMP program? Or would it be okay if you went to any state school that has cadaver labs and teaches along with med/dent students?

My sense is that these schools are fine with students who reinvent themselves with coursework that mimics a medical school curriculum. I have no idea if anatomy with a lab would be a requirement.

Now would these schools look at you only if you went to her SMP program? Or would it be okay if you went to any state school that has cadaver labs and teaches along with med/dent students?

My sense is that these schools are fine with students who reinvent themselves with coursework that mimics a medical school curriculum. I have no idea if anatomy with a lab would be a requirement.
Thank you. The only reason I ask is I am mentoring a few undergrads in my state and some of them are looking at reinvention themselves. I've seen some opinions that cadaver labs make the SMP much better and valued more by adcoms, whereas some people believe that cadaver labs are nice, but not really necessary for the SMP.

Believe me, I have some colleagues on the Adcom who think Anatom should be a requirement for med school, and thend to be much harsher on applicants if they haven't had the subject. The rest of us have the gently pull them back to reality.

Thank you. The only reason I ask is I am mentoring a few undergrads in my state and some of them are looking at reinvention themselves. I've seen some opinions that cadaver labs make the SMP much better and valued more by adcoms, whereas some people believe that cadaver labs are nice, but not really necessary for the SMP.

What do you mean by that? How do Adcoms look at Anatomy and Physiology anyways?
Believe me, I have some colleagues on the Adcom who think Anatom should be a requirement for med school, and thend to be much harsher on applicants if they haven't had the subject. The rest of us have the gently pull them back to reality.

I haven't the vaguest clue which SMP's have anatomy dissections and no one on my committee cares.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr X on applicant: "This guy did well in his classes, but doesn't have Anatomy." Scored the candidate 2/10, which is reject.

Wily old Admissions dean: "Anatomy is not a requirement for our school."

Rest of committee: "We think we'll accept this applicant." Votes to accept.

Applicant accepted.

What do you mean by that? How do Adcoms look at Anatomy and Physiology anyways?

Reactions: 2 users