Suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oscillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my training with cath rotation this July. Are you guys aware of any modules or video in the Internet where I can orient myself with the different views /shots ?

Members don't see this ad.

I initially (pre-fellowship) learned a lot of this stuff via YouTube, believe it or not.
My hospital blocks YouTube access, so I can't get on there right now to find some examples. But there are plenty.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Cardiac Catheterization Handbook [Book] by Morton L. Kern

not the best book but does have a section on how to set up shots. I found that learning to cath is a lot of practice and not a lot of reading. You start to know how the shots are supposed to look rather than memorizing numbers. Depending on how your program is structured the thing you should probably be focusing on the first month is getting decent at vascular access, learning when to cath (and not cath) and understanding the basic complications and how to deal with them. also, learning to use the manifold takes practice. go slowly and don't shoot any air down the coronaries. I am in the middle of my cath time and really like it. I wish I had started with it.

Learning how to get access without screwing up the patient = more important for your first rotation.
Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Review is a pretty good board review book and has a few pictures.
Remember cranial shot is good for laying out the LAD.
LAD caudal shot is good for showing trifurcation of L main, LAD origin and LCx origin.

Learning how to get access without screwing up the patient = more important for your first rotation.
Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Review is a pretty good board review book and has a few pictures.
Remember cranial shot is good for laying out the LAD.
LAD caudal shot is good for showing trifurcation of L main, LAD origin and LCx origin.

Well said.. It took me a month of cath to figure this out :)

sort of a thread jack, sort of relevant.
How much of a diagnostic case are you doing at your fellowship? Say for a left heart cath where you are crossing the valve and shooting cors. I have heard that some places the diagnostic fellows are doing little more than access and occasionally injecting. Other places the fellows are doing the case from start to finish and the attending is in the control room and doesn't scrub in. what are peoples experiences during their training.

sort of a thread jack, sort of relevant.
How much of a diagnostic case are you doing at your fellowship? Say for a left heart cath where you are crossing the valve and shooting cors. I have heard that some places the diagnostic fellows are doing little more than access and occasionally injecting. Other places the fellows are doing the case from start to finish and the attending is in the control room and doesn't scrub in. what are peoples experiences during their training.

We rotate through different hospitals. At one hospital the staff stays behind the glass and you do the case start to finish, just you and the tech. At another the staff scrubs with you and you do whatever you can and they only jump in when you're struggling (can't cross the valve for an LVG or can't engage the right or whatever). I have heard of other programs where first years only get consents or only get access and then gradually do more as the years progress.