Suggestions are helpful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if any one has any helpful suggestions (be nice) about my situation. I am a nontraditional student and I was hoping to gain entrance into medical school in the fall of 09 but because of my low MCAT score I won't be doing that. I was going to retake my MCAT in January but all the seats are reserved already. Should I look into getting into a medical masters program? Should I go to the Carribean? I have to stay in school or my loans will be due and I can't afford that right now. I will be retaking the MCAT but I guess I have to wait until the spring. I also have a family to take with me to the Carribean if I was to take this route.

Members don't see this ad.

Would suggest that you evaluate all weaknesses, and speak with schools (presuming you applied for this cycle) regarding add'l items that they may see as helpful - when I did this, 2 schools said that the feedback interview itself would be noted in my file and count as an indicator of my focus on that school, & would help with readmission process.

If the primary weaknesses are mcat section score(s), volunteer work, personal statement (anything other than that tough-to-overcome low gpa), it seems premature to only be looking at carribean - given the risk of possibly not securing a US residency if you go the carribean route, I'd think it would be less risky overall to study like heck, take out more loans, and try the mcat again. I bumped my score up when doing this in the 3-6 point range, well within the competitive range. Just takes lots (for me, around 2 months fulltime) of focused study time.

Probably not a big deal to stay in school if your main intent is to avoid beginning to repay loans; many programs require 9-12 hrs; time to look into a cheap state school, or take art history courses at a community college if the primary intent is to defer loan repayment for now; whatever would earn good grades and allow plenty of time to study for the mcat. I'd take at least a few more science classes in order to provide a good answer for "how did you strengthen your app from last year" in addition to a higher mcat score.

Another option to defer most loans is the "hardship deferral", particularly if you're not working, or earning fairly little due to study schedule, call the student loan folks.

I'd suggest against the master's program if the primary intent is to give you time to study for the mcat, better to kick *** in some science classes at undergrad level than spend the $$ (probably much more) in grad school. that's my $.02

if you're ready for mcat, have you tried looking at another test center?

I'd wouldn't go to grad school just to boost your chances of med school. it's time consuming and not a guarantee. if you have to stay in school, take something easy that'll allow time to study for the mcat. the last thing you want is to be stagnant and not be primed for the mcat.

carib school, always an option. it's up to you. just concentrate on the mcat!! good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much. I have been concentrating on the MCAT with a cheap private tutor out of the paper. It has been increasing my scores on the practice. One of you mentioned to try a different testing sight, do you think that would make even a slight different? Just curious. It just so happens that one of the seats is available for the MCAT, I was curious if I should sign up for January MCAT. I contacted some of the schools and they said they do accept the January MCAT as long as I have a previous MCAT score on file. Should I sign up or just wait a whole nother year (I am not getting any younger!)?
By the way thanks for not being cruel when answering.