Suggestions for a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm compiling a list of residency programs for my application to go out this week, but would like some additional input, suggestions...

My fiancee and I would like to be somewhere that doesn't require living within an urban area...we both like living a little more rural, someplace quiet with trees. I don't mind a little commute into a larger city to get good exposure. Anybody have good programs to consider based on that? I'm not huge into living in Chicago or New York. I like areas where the "level 1 trauma" would be more like farm accidents and country road car accident type stuff.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Warning: Info based on my interview experiences which are (holy crap!) 9 years out of date.

Scott and White in Temple TX is a very rural, agrarian type place. They do have an active helo program with a large catchment over central TX so they actually get a lot of good cases despite being in a relatively small town.

Kalamazoo in MI is in a smaller community where it's easy to settle out of the rat race. Seemed like a great program to me.

Main Medical Center is in a bueatiful, smaller city, Portland, Maine. Not much penetrating trauma but seems like a great place to live.

The UCSF program in Fresno is in a smaller central valley farm town. Lots of meth. Lots of serious pathology in the underserved migrant worker community there. City is much lower key than a Chicago or NY.

Last edited:
I am from Texas and would second Scott and White. It's got a pretty strong reputation and the people I've talked to are pretty happy.

The other one that comes to mind (and this is only hearsay... I've never been there) is St. Lukes in Bethlehem, PA. I had a couple of residents in my previous 2 away rotations who said they either rotated there or interviewed there and loved it.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other one that comes to mind (and this is only hearsay... I've never been there) is St. Lukes in Bethlehem, PA. I had a couple of residents in my previous 2 away rotations who said they either rotated there or interviewed there and loved it.
A buddy of mine went to St. Luke's. He is a kind of grumpy guy who hates everything so his opinion was predictable. One downside for that program though is that shirt and tie are required at all times (or they were while he was there).

A buddy of mine went to St. Luke's. He is a kind of grumpy guy who hates everything so his opinion was predictable. One downside for that program though is that shirt and tie are required at all times (or they were while he was there).

Definitely not true. You CAN wear a shirt and tie if you want (but only one resident in the past 3 years has done so). We do wear navy scrubs with our names embroidered on them (are we transport or ED docs???). I know my info is accurate since I just graduated from here and am in the midst of a fellowship here as well...

Definitely not true. You CAN wear a shirt and tie if you want (but only one resident in the past 3 years has done so). We do wear navy scrubs with our names embroidered on them (are we transport or ED docs???). I know my info is accurate since I just graduated from here and am in the midst of a fellowship here as well...
Cool. Then it's changed since my buddy graduated in '03.

+1 on Scott and White. Also, try Geisinger in PA.

I'm in GA. Our hospital is in a medium-sized city (~250,000) but you can live within a half-hour and be out in the country. Several people here live in Aiken, SC which is a very nice small town.

We get a mix of "gun and knife club" trauma from the city and rural trauma from all the surrounding counties.

East Carolina in Greenville, NC is exactly what your are describing. I interviewed there last year. Seemed like a strong program and they actually even mentioned a fair bit of their trauma being farming accidents

A few others, from what I have heard/know:

Stonybrook (long island) is about 45 miles from NYC but about 2 hours in all practicality. it is beautiful out there, with a great ED, good research and is definately small town (the only starbucks is in the B&N... my barometer for civilization).

Corpus Christie: Small town, good program from what I hear.

Texas Tech: small town, great program, awesome PD. Will have thier own med school very shortly.

Akron, Ohio: heresay from others I know say its a great program, small town

Hi folks,
I'm compiling a list of residency programs for my application to go out this week, but would like some additional input, suggestions...

My fiancee and I would like to be somewhere that doesn't require living within an urban area...we both like living a little more rural, someplace quiet with trees. I don't mind a little commute into a larger city to get good exposure. Anybody have good programs to consider based on that? I'm not huge into living in Chicago or New York. I like areas where the "level 1 trauma" would be more like farm accidents and country road car accident type stuff.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Penn State has basically everything you are looking for.

PM me with any questions about the program.

I second ECU, it is a very strong clinical program. Pathology exposure is outstanding and the trauma service is excellent. Coming from "a big place" the most surprising thing about ecu has to be the pathology and the volume of "sick" patients that we see is outstanding.

You could look into Saginaw with Mary Jo Wagner, Ann Arbor (UM), Toledo (St Vincent's and Univ Toledo), Sacramento (UC Davis), Albany.

You could look into Saginaw with Mary Jo Wagner, Ann Arbor (UM), Toledo (St Vincent's and Univ Toledo), Sacramento (UC Davis), Albany.
UC Davis is not a rural program. It is an inner city hospital and its trauma volume is very heavy (mostly blunt but very heavy). You do have the ability to live out in a more rural setting if you can afford to get something out in the city of Davis or Woodland. Living up in the Sierra foothills (eg. Placerville) is really not an option because the traffic on US 50 or I80 is too heavy to allow the commute to UC Davis med center.

Members don't see this ad :)
East Carolina in Greenville, NC is exactly what your are describing. I interviewed there last year. Seemed like a strong program and they actually even mentioned a fair bit of their trauma being farming accidents

+1

There isn't much in Greenville, but its got all the basics you might need and fits what you seem to want in a program. The cost of living is fantastic and you could buy a good sized house on a resident salary there (especially if you're willing to drive a little bit).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I reiterate my push for UMass Worcester - see the review from about 1.5 wks ago. We have several residents (and lots of attendings) who live out in the sticks. (yes, we do have the "sticks" around Worcester, it's quite woodsy...) Plus the hospital is on a lake, very scenic.

Most of our trauma is blunt trauma, but we get enough penetrating to know what to do with it.

I applied to similar programs and other programs like this that I thought were solid/great quality programs: agree with Maine Med, would add UVa, and Wake Forest. Esp UVa, what a great place to live.

To OP, have you looked at the residency catalog on Saem.org? They have links to the various programs and you might get a better feel for what you are looking for. Good luck!

To OP, have you looked at the residency catalog on Saem.org? They have links to the various programs and you might get a better feel for what you are looking for. Good luck!

I had indeed...was a good start for geographical options.

Thanks to everyone that offered assistance. I think I see several more programs I'll add to my list.

Thanks so much!!!

+1

There isn't much in Greenville, but its got all the basics you might need and fits what you seem to want in a program. The cost of living is fantastic and you could buy a good sized house on a resident salary there (especially if you're willing to drive a little bit).

I'm not sure how far a little bit is, but I can walk to Sam's club, 6 miles to work (probably 400 stoplights between here and there though), and have a third of an acre with a fenced yard for less than $200K. I also have a shade over 2000 sq ft, with a 2 car garage.

I forgot to mention that I can be in the sand and surf in less than an hour and a half.

+1 more for Greenville. I interviewed there last year and it is exactly what you want. I remember driving there from my Norfolk, Virginia interview and seeing all the farms and wondering if I was lost.

I also would put in a vote for Scott and White in Temple, TX.

I don't think Corpus Christi, TX is what you are looking for. I interviewed there last year also and remember more of a beach/tourist type of town. You would have to be out around an hour from town to get more of what you are looking for.

:cool:

I forgot to mention that Corpus Christi is a level 2 center.

Great to hear from someone from the midwest. I imagine there are alot of programs that would fit this bill, I am just not familiar with them.

I'm not sure how far a little bit is, but I can walk to Sam's club, 6 miles to work (probably 400 stoplights between here and there though), and have a third of an acre with a fenced yard for less than $200K. I also have a shade over 2000 sq ft, with a 2 car garage.

I forgot to mention that I can be in the sand and surf in less than an hour and a half.

Lots of good reasons for another vote for ECU. Great program and it has what you want. Go for it.
Drakken

Only a first year so the following suggestions are based strictly on geography: Rochester (Mayo, pop ~100,000), Madison (Wisconsin, pop ~220,000), and Iowa City (Iowa pop ~80,000).

ECU for sure. El Paso is definitely out there geographically and lots of pathology. I haven't heard any votes for Grand Rapids, MI. Really cool medium size city with plenty of pathology and you can live quite rurally with a decent commute. There are some people at my program, Baystate, that have big ol' houses out there in the woods (all within 30 mins commute, some within 20 mins). We are ~120K volume. Not much for farming accidents but lots of MVCs and such. I haven't been out there but I remember a lot of people saying Kern was as you described. Maybe someone else will comment on Kern.

You should definitely check out UW Madison.... great chill city. Great program. I saw some great farming accidents.