suggestions for diversifying applicant pool for clinical positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Our clinic just posted for two positions: A master's level mental health practitioner, and a psychologist. We desperately need to diversify; all of our clinicians are currently white women which definitely does not represent the diversity of our clients. Any suggestions for approaches to diversify our applicant pool? E.g., some sort of targeted recruitment?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, would a white man be consider diversity in this situation or not much of a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious, would a white man be consider diversity in this situation or not much of a difference.

Good question. In a mental health unit with other neuropsychologists, psychologists, social workers, and some masters level therapists, I am the only male in my group.

Our clinic just posted for two positions: A master's level mental health practitioner, and a psychologist. We desperately need to diversify; all of our clinicians are currently white women which definitely does not represent the diversity of our clients. Any suggestions for approaches to diversify our applicant pool? E.g., some sort of targeted recruitment?

Is the overall size of your applicant pool a contributing factor? Are your pay and benefits competitive in the local market?

It depends on your purposes, needs, and resources.

There are professional organizations for specific racial groups although they sometimes use a less technical definition of ethnicity instead, specific disability groupings, linguistic abilities, age groupings (sorta), etc.

Be cognizant that if one of these groupings is super under represented, then the demand for the services of the new person might be higher than is able to be met by either time constraints or area of specialty. Very directly defining what services this person wants to see is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, how deep do you want to go with this? There is the straight forward issue of marketing the opening to TD and professional groups that are more diverse (any HBCU counseling programs in the area, any listservs in the state psych association dedicated to diversity, etc.).

Then there are the larger issues to deal with here, which is why do you have only white women at the clinic? The area, the pay, the atmosphere. etc.

Having been the "diversity" several times during my career (read: the only employee that was not a white female and a different age), I am not sure I would take such a position if offered. I have often been the outgroup due to being male and generally younger than many colleagues meant a lack of common interests and difficulty bonding with certain groups. Some were inclusive and some were a bit more tone deaf to including the minority (only talking about wedding/parent stuff, let's get mani/pedis after work ,etc). I don't know if I would take such a position or stay in it due to professional isolation. I have enjoyed the camraderie in more diverse workplaces much better. Something to keep in mind if you want to retain the person/persons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well, how deep do you want to go with this? There is the straight forward issue of marketing the opening to TD and professional groups that are more diverse (any HBCU counseling programs in the area, any listservs in the state psych association dedicated to diversity, etc.).

Then there are the larger issues to deal with here, which is why do you have only white women at the clinic? The area, the pay, the atmosphere. etc.

Having been the "diversity" several during my career (read: the only employee that was not a white female and a different age), I am not sure I would take such a position if offered. I have often been the outgroup because being male and generally younger than many colleagues meant a lack of common interests and difficulty bonding with certain groups. Some were inclusive and some were a bit more tone deaf to including the minority (only talking about wedding/parent stuff, let't get mani/pedis after work ,etc). I don't know if I would take such a position or stay in it due to professional isolation. I have enjoyed the camraderie in more diverse workplaces much better. Something to keep in mind if you want to retain the person/persons.
Currently only 5 clinicians - it’s a new clinic- thankfully the support staff provide some ethnic diversity. With regard to gender diversity - in my experience I’ve encountered far fewer men specializing in developmental disabilities than women so I’m sure that is a factor. You raise really good points. Thank you.