suggestions for embryology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberryfield

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
no matter how much I study embryo, it still feels like greek... :eek:

I never took an embryo or developmental class in undergrad, and now I'm feeling it... :confused:

does anyone have any suggestions for how to study embryo?? or has anyone used review books/web links they would recommend that were helpful? Our text (Langman's Medical Embryology 10th ed.) is a good text, but it's very concise, and hard to understand for a 1st timer :p or maybe it's just me... ??? :rolleyes:

thanks everyone! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I never took an embryo or developmental class in undergrad, and now I'm feeling it... :confused:

does anyone have any suggestions for how to study embryo?? or has anyone used review books/web links they would recommend that were helpful? Our text (Langman's Medical Embryology 10th ed.) is a good text, but it's very concise, and hard to understand for a 1st timer :p or maybe it's just me... ??? :rolleyes:

thanks everyone! ;)

No, it's not just you. I thinky embryology sucks. Fortunately, our embryology and histology are combined with anatomy. When we learned about heart anatomy, we also learned about heart embryo, for example. It helps a little because you get to understand how things end up where they do. It also helps because out of 120 questionson the last written exam, only about 10 were from embryo. Yet, everytime I look at the next day's schedule and see an embryo lecture, I cringe. I always try to do the reading in advance, even if I don't understand it at all. Then, I use the lecture as a guide to what the prof thinks is important. I really make use of the figures, though, because it is so visual. Yeah, there's a lot of terminolgy, but I find that trying to draw the images helps me a lot. Just reading the text never makes sense to me. But when I put the pictures and words together, it's a lot easier.

In a sidenote, I also like looking at some of the stuff from the Visible Embryo Project because it gives a really simple explanation for everything and some good images too:

http://www.visembryo.com/baby/index.html

It's not very detailed at all, but it gives you some of the "basics". I think you really need to look at the "big picture" before you really get into too much detail.

thanks everyone! ;)

I hate to say it, but having studied ancient Greek, I know for sure now that embryo is harder! ;) Not to worry--I think the majority of us are feeling this way. I have Langman's and Moore's (Moore's is required for us, but last year's class used Langman's, so I bought a copy cheap from a 2nd year) and I think that Moore's is clearer about the basics. The BRS book isn't bad, either, but it helps more with exam questions than with the material itself, in my opinion. I've heard that the simbryo CD that goes with the Langman's is supposed to be really helpful, but I haven't had a chance to go check it out in the library yet (my text didn't come with a copy). Hang in there and let us know if you find any other good resources.

Cheers,

Kaitlin
OMS I, LECOM-Bradenton 2010

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to check out Mcgill's embryo homepage. http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/embryology/

I've found that in embryo a picture truly is worth a thousand words. Once you have the picture/spatial arrangements of what is going on in your head, filling in the names of things isn't really too hard. Trying to do it the other way - reading the text and remembering all the names without a mental picture doesn't work too well for me, personally.

-The Simbryo disk which comes with Langman's is not really any better than what you'll find on the web, IMHO.

Strawberryfield, I know what you are feeling! But i think that in our case, it isnt completely the material that's confusing, its the lecturer (and you know who I mean)!! Hopefully we will both get through this, I don't like langmans so much either. Im gonna really dig in this weekend- good luck on the biochem exam!!

Strawberryfield, I know what you are feeling! But i think that in our case, it isnt completely the material that's confusing, its the lecturer (and you know who I mean)!! Hopefully we will both get through this, I don't like langmans so much either. Im gonna really dig in this weekend- good luck on the biochem exam!!

Lol, I agree about the lecturer. Embryology isn't fun anyway.

Lol, I agree about the lecturer. Embryology isn't fun anyway.

hahaha.... classmates!!!!!!!!!!!! :D sometimes I feel like the only one on SDN from KCOM 2010 :laugh: yeah, well for now embryo is on the backburner until after the biochem exam, but ugggghhhh I am really dreading next weekend when I'll dig in to embryo....:rolleyes:

thanks to all for the advice :luck:

good luck to you also bellagrace on the biochem exam :scared:

LOL...we're all around somewhere, just not on SDN. Good luck on Friday, guys.

Embryo...oh man.

hahaha.... classmates!!!!!!!!!!!! :D sometimes I feel like the only one on SDN from KCOM 2010 :laugh: yeah, well for now embryo is on the backburner until after the biochem exam, but ugggghhhh I am really dreading next weekend when I'll dig in to embryo....:rolleyes:

thanks to all for the advice :luck:

good luck to you also bellagrace on the biochem exam :scared: