suggestions?, info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K-man

Nordberg
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just gotten my 6th interview invite. My first interview is this friday at AZCOM. My concern is that the last two schools that invited me are definetly not in my top choices of places to go. I have not heard anything from my top 3 schools. Should I not go to the last two interviews that I was invited to becuase of the fact that I have gotten six interviews from the first six schools that I've heard from. Basically, I want to make sure that I get in somewhere, ideally one of my top three choices, and I don't want to fly all over the country week after week for interviews. The schools that I have heard from are TUCOM, AZCOM, UHS, DMU, KCOM, and Nova. I have yet to hear from PCOM, CCOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

id go until you get an acceptance. After that you can decide if you want to or not.

I would also go until you get that first acceptance then start taking a look at the acceptance deposits. For example, TUCOM is $2K and they require the deposit two weeks from the date of acceptance. So if you interview there first and then you find out two weeks later that they accepted you, but you don't have the interview at your first top three school for another 3 weeks, ouch! You may decide to pay the $2k since it is the only school that has given you an acceptance or you lose your spot and then find out 5 weeks later that your top three school all accepted you. It may cost you less to fly to the other two schools and have the option to pass on paying the big acceptance deposits if more than one school offers acceptance out of the 6. Good luck, it sounds like you will get into to at least one school with that many interview offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 5 schools. The first 2 interview invites were for my #4 and #5 choices. I called them and told them that I would have to reschedule the interview for a later date due to travel arrangements. They understood.

Then, I got an invite for my #2 choice. I went to that interview. Got accepted shortly thereafter.

Got an invite for my #3 school, but was already accepted at my #2 choice.

Finally, an interview invite to my #1 choice. Went, interviewed, accepted.

I called the 3 remaining schools and politely declined my interview invitations.

I spend $46 in travel expenses for my 2 interviews. I would have spent around $750+ if I had gone to all 5.

End result was that I got into my top choice.

I have a friend who spent $8,000 in applications and interviews only to get into his top choice, a school 5 minutes from his home.

What's the point of all this? I'm not sure there really is one. Oh wait, yes there is...a very wise pre-med advisor told me "Don't interview at a school unless you would go there if it were your only acceptance." So...if it was the only school you got accepted to...would you go? If yes, then buy your place ticket. If not...save your money.

I'm not sure I would have gone to #'s 3, 4, and 5.

But that's just me.

Good luck.

And by the way...if you were offered interviews at the schools you listed, I am sure you will be hearding from the others soon. I have heard that CCOM is a bit tighter with the interview invites for out-of-staters. UNECOM you are good for an interview, NYCOM as well.

Here at PCOM, things are really getting rolling, so keep an eye out for a letter as well.

One more thing...

The above poster mentioned the deposits.

The deposits for most of the DO schools are quite high...NYCOM and PCOM being some of the more reasonable if my memory serves me correctly.

Oh...and those deposits are non-refundable...scary thought.

Good luck.