suggestions on next steps? (accelerated EMT or other ideas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healerdan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I see in the forums this question has been asked a few times, but it looks like everyone has slightly different circumstances. So now please consider the same question through this lens:

I completed an EMT-B program at a community college that ended early 2013. (now two years ago) I didn't take my NR exam because I got involved in my bachelor's degree (human physiology) which I will be completing in two or three months.

I intend on applying for medical school in a year or two, but in the mean time would like a job in the healthcare field, preferably practicing medicine (rather than a receptionist position.)

I am comfortable enough with my knowledge base, and ability to take in information quickly that i am considering accelerated certification courses (EMT-B, maybe even medic if it exists.) so the questions are:

-what liscences/certifications exist which could build on my human physiology bachelor's and make me a suitable hire in a hospital or clinical setting providing care?

-of those, what can be taken online, or in an accelerated format? (i understand the drawbacks to these kind of programs. I am a professional, and my level of understanding will be limited only by the resources i have available to me, not by the timeline of the course, or the quality of the instructor. I will hold myself accountable for providing the best care I can, so I will go far beyond simply passing a test.)

-what is the cheapest possible way to take these courses? (I am still a student, and have maxed out my federal student aid so money is limiting.)

preferably this will be near Salem, Oregon.

thank you for your thoughtful responses! be well
-daniel

Members don't see this ad.

Walk before you run. Get your EMT cert and get your foot in the door. One to two years as an EMT is better than 1 year in ALS class, followed by 6 months of internship, followed by the stress of studying for the MCAT and applying to medical school.

Hello,
I see in the forums this question has been asked a few times, but it looks like everyone has slightly different circumstances. So now please consider the same question through this lens:

I completed an EMT-B program at a community college that ended early 2013. (now two years ago) I didn't take my NR exam because I got involved in my bachelor's degree (human physiology) which I will be completing in two or three months.

I intend on applying for medical school in a year or two, but in the mean time would like a job in the healthcare field, preferably practicing medicine (rather than a receptionist position.)

I am comfortable enough with my knowledge base, and ability to take in information quickly that i am considering accelerated certification courses (EMT-B, maybe even medic if it exists.) so the questions are:

-what liscences/certifications exist which could build on my human physiology bachelor's and make me a suitable hire in a hospital or clinical setting providing care?

-of those, what can be taken online, or in an accelerated format? (i understand the drawbacks to these kind of programs. I am a professional, and my level of understanding will be limited only by the resources i have available to me, not by the timeline of the course, or the quality of the instructor. I will hold myself accountable for providing the best care I can, so I will go far beyond simply passing a test.)

-what is the cheapest possible way to take these courses? (I am still a student, and have maxed out my federal student aid so money is limiting.)

preferably this will be near Salem, Oregon.

thank you for your thoughtful responses! be well
-daniel

Why didn't you apply this cycle? Why wait 2 years to apply? Having an EMS certification/Health care job isn't looked at as being more than exposure to patients. To be honest working as a scribe is a better bet, because you can get awesome LOR's and more exposure to the hospital side of the profession. I have been in EMS for over 14 years with 5 of that as a flight paramedic and all I got on the interview trail was "thats a lot of experience". I would work on making your application as strong as possible and if you must accentuate your physiology training get a thesis based masters degree, this would at least allow you to check the research box on the resume/application.

Some EMS training schools will give you "time served" for certain portions like clinical hours and such if you still retain the original paperwork. I'm curious if there is a gray area in your state that might allow you to take a NREMT-B refresher course and then take the NREMT-B exam. Congrats on finishing up the physiology degree in a few months from now but what really kept you from taking the NREMT exam during the 730 day window after the class ended? Was it fear? You couldn't have crammed for two days and then taken the CBT? The practical is very easy. I thought the medic CBT wasn't that hard but that was when it first came out.

This drives me crazy as I know about a dozen people through the years that blew off the NREMT Basic and Paramedic exams and never had the heart to take the time to study for the exam and/or even attempt to take it once.