Suggestions please

Mica45

Jun 24, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,
    Currently I’m a US resident and I’m about to finish my undergrad. Due to my husband job, we need to move to Melbourne Australia for 2 years and i was thinking about going to Melbourne school of medicine instead of doing nothing and wasting my time. Do you guys know if i can do my rotation (3rd and 4th year) here in US? Do you have any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance,

lumya

Indoor Cat
    2+ Year Member
  • Aug 7, 2018
    1. Medical Student
      It's very unlikely you'll be able to do all your pre-clinical work in one country, and then all your rotations in another (it might be possible for you to get an elective rotation away). Your options are probably either to attend all four years in Australia (and then if you wan to match into the US there will be hurdles) or just wait to attend in the US after you return. While in Australia you can still continue to build your application with volunteering and clinical work if you get a job scribing or as an MA.

Damson

2+ Year Member
    • Nov 18, 2017
      On The Move
      1. Medical Student
        Hey @Mica45

At Unimelb, you'll be able to schedule a few, but not all, elective rotations in the US.

At University of Queensland - Ochsner, you do most if not all rotations in the US.

However, even as a unimelb graduate, you can apply to US residency programs. But your chances for competitive specialties are low. Even for low tier specialties like FM and IM, you must still score a bit above the US FM/IM USMLE average.

Totally doable. But it will be a challenge.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.