Suggestions: Withdraw or take the c - gchem i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirbs90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm in need of some advice. i'm struggling right now in my first general chem course at UCLA. i don't know whether i should drop right now and take the W or finish the class with no higher than a C+/B- which probably in the end would kill my gpa?

if i take it next quarter, i'm sure i can do whole lot better than if i were to continue with it for the rest of the quarter.

what should i do? how bad does a W look for a required course for dental school?

any advice would help, thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey guys,

i'm in need of some advice. i'm struggling right now in my first general chem course at UCLA. i don't know whether i should drop right now and take the W or finish the class with no higher than a C+/B- which probably in the end would kill my gpa?

if i take it next quarter, i'm sure i can do whole lot better than if i were to continue with it for the rest of the quarter.

what should i do? how bad does a W look for a required course for dental school?

any advice would help, thank you!!!

I would take a W and retake it next quarter. If this is your first W, then I think it's okay.

Just make sure you don't repeat this EVER again.

Just my 2 cents. Others may totally disagree with me.

I think you could really go either way. I don't disagree with TK2006, but I will tell you this: I think more often than not, the ADCOMS see small stumbles in a students first couple semesters. Also, taking a B- or C+ in Gen Chem I and dominating the 15 other science courses you take throughout college would be fine. After 125 credit hours your GPA will not even be affected by this grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a B-/C+ is fine for a pre-req in freshman year. As long as there is an upward trend after that point with maintaining A's and B's, you should totally be fine (of course easier said than done, I know). However, I feel that a W on a pre-req will raise red flags to schools, regardless of whether you retake the course and happen to get a decent grade. They will still ask why you had to take a W.

I'm having to retake a couple courses I got C- in because a few of the schools I'm applying to take no C-.

Find out if your teacher curves the class grades. If he/she does, then you might end up with A, A-, B+, etc.