suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violet

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am looking for advice. I already have a bachelor's degree and currently I am taking my pre-reqs for med school (as post-bac at a university). I need help in picking out elective science courses which will benefit my "profile" or even help me out on the MCAT.
I already finished - physics 1, general chemistry 1&2 and starting organic in the fall.
Is Calc. beneficial?
If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know if Calculus is "beneficial", but it is required at many schools. You will need to check with the schools you are interested in to determine if it is a pre-req. Incidentally, if you have to take it, do not take business calc, calc for non-science majors, et.al. Take the regular calculus (5 hours) course so that there is never a question as to whether your calculus fulfils the pre-req. Some schools do not accept the "lesser' calcs, so be forewarned. I have a friend in Texas who was told by a Texas Tech medical admissions advisor last week that he needs to retake calculus, because the 3 hour calculus course does not fulfil the requirements for the Texas medical schools. Good Luck.

Calculus does not appear on the MCATs. Unless you're math-minded, I wouldn't risk your GPA, because the vast majority of med. schools do not require calculus. Buy or borrow a copy of the Med School Admission Requirements (MSAR) to see the requirements for entrance for the individual schools. This may give you ideas for your electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry is always a good idea. You will see it IN DEPTH in med school, so your performance in it will show med schools a lot about your ability to handle tough courses. But beware, it is a very intense course, and if you do take it make sure that you can dedicate yourself to it and get a good grade (A or B). Good Luck, Mango

Biochem is a major bonus. Today was the first day, and it was almost all biochem with staunch promises of more to come.

The MCAT I took had about 2 passages that were PURE biochem, and 2 others that biochem would've been useful. I'd definatly get the biochem in if I had it to do all over again.

SERIOUSLY!!!

Sheon

Biochem is a big plus, but Genetics is a must. Cell biology was also useful. I would say take Physics II before you take the MCAT. Most of the physics that was on the MCAT I took was taught during the second year.

You guys are wonderful! Thank you for all your input. I am taking the MCAT in April and I can't take biochem prior to that (I will be in Organic 2 at that time). However, I will definitly take it prior to finishing my undergraduate work.
Thank You again.

Hey Violet-- you might want to think about sitting in on a biochem lecture while taking orgo 2. Biochem makes most of the second term orgo reactions make sudden and glorious sense; it also shows up on the MCAT to a much greater degree than typically covered in a year long bio sequence. Really, you'd only need to listen in on the first 2 months or so of lecture, and I promise it will help you in orgo. Plus, biochem kicks a**!

Sheon, as always, is right about biochem on the MCAT: I swear I had passages lifted right out of my Stryer on that exam.

[This message has been edited by fiatslug (edited 08-22-2000).]