Suggestions?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deskjet812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont see any reason why working in your mothers office would be negative in any way. Any exposure is good exposure.

ADCOMs like to see volunteer, shadowing, and research. They like hobbie-extracurriculars as well. I dont think it is important how you do it as much as that you do it.

In other words, there is no "best" thing to do. I would just do what you think you would enjoy the most. I volunteered at an AIDS/HIV care center because that was an issue that was important to me personally. Do something that you think that you could get passionate about, rather than what you think would look the best on your app or CV.

deskjet812 said:
What extracurriculars would be advisable to do? My mom is a dentist but I think that working in her office might be frowned upon. I know that I can join a predental club but I am open to more suggestions. Would volunteering in a hospital be good or what would be? Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated!

I would observe in my mom's office, but she's not a dentist. I bet she knows a lot of other dentists in your area that would let you come shadow at their offices. The more the better, right? That way you get lots of opinions about dentistry, not just your mother's. Maybe she could also suggest some dental related volunteer activities, like going into schools to talk to kids with other dentists (i think feb is dental month?) or a low cost clinic or something who could use someone to help out with odd jobs. If she helps you make the calls, who can say no?

Due to some unexpected circumstances, I was unable to shadow another dentist during undergrad. However, over the years I had accumulated 150+ hours working and shadowing in my dad's office, and about 10 hours shadowing a pediatric dentist during high school. I had planned to do more, and I was very nervous that adcoms would question why I had done all my shadowing with my dad. It turns out that it wasn't a problem at all, they didn't even ask me about it -- some interviewers even commented that with several family members in the business, at least I knew what I was getting myself into! I would definitely suggest branching out and watching non-family members in action, but any experience is better than no experience.