Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sattimy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to dental forums and I was looking for some suggestions. I'm a first semester sophomore and I currently have a 3.2 overall gpa and a 2.5 science gpa. My science gpa is so low because the only science classes I've taken so far are general bio and general chem. I got C's in Chem:mad: and B's in bio. This semester I'm hoping to get an A in microbiology and a B in physics but grades haven't been released yet. I'm involved with ASDA, Circle K, Habitat for Humanity and Amnesty International. I'm hoping to get involved in the Biology Honor Society and AMSA. I'm expecting to take the DAT :scared:next fall. Last summer I shadowed a general dentist for a month and I just started shadowing another general dentist this semester. I have to apply for dental school in about a year and a half and I just wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions about what else I should do to increase my chances or getting in or just any tips in general. thanks.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I would say keep the activities you have planned and work on improving your GPA. With the Bs and Cs you got in your first year, you would really need to show an upward trend and would actually need that trend to bring your GPA to a competitive level. You should take ochem ASAP because they are on the DAT.

What the previous poster said, show an upward trend, and see if you can at least bring the Sci GPA to a 3.2-3.4. If you don't have much luck with recovering your Sci GPA, you might need a biology 1-year masters with a 4.0. And get a 20+ DAT. Good luck.

Sounds good, you just need to get that GPA up!! Work hard in your classes and put in the time.