-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was wondering about this too...I took mine off for the lunch because I didn't want to spill soup on it, but NO ONE else did it so I was beginning to think it was bad etiquette...
2
235788
I was wondering about this too...I took mine off for the lunch because I didn't want to spill soup on it, but NO ONE else did it so I was beginning to think it was bad etiquette...
Thanks. At least i'm not the only one...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep it on. Are you really that messy of an eater? What are they serving you, spaghetti?
At the same time, if you take it off at lunch, no one will think it odd. I can guarantee you that the comment "Did you see this one? He took off his coat at lunch. Pass." would ever be heard at the adcom table.
At the same time, if you take it off at lunch, no one will think it odd. I can guarantee you that the comment "Did you see this one? He took off his coat at lunch. Pass." would ever be heard at the adcom table.
The suit has buttons for a reason. At "attention" you stay buttoned. But, when you sit down you unbutton. The jacket is practical. It will fall to your sides. It does not need to be removed. The only time I removed my jacket was during my VCOM interview in which we toured the VT campus and surrounding area mid-August with broken air-conditiong in the van.
You gotta admit, it makes sense.The suit has buttons for a reason. At "attention" you stay buttoned. But, when you sit down you unbutton. The jacket is practical. It will fall to your sides. It does not need to be removed. The only time I removed my jacket was during my VCOM interview in which we toured the VT campus and surrounding area mid-August with broken air-conditiong in the van.
👍Fashion mavens will also say never button the bottom button.The suit has buttons for a reason. At "attention" you stay buttoned. But, when you sit down you unbutton. The jacket is practical. It will fall to your sides. It does not need to be removed. The only time I removed my jacket was during my VCOM interview in which we toured the VT campus and surrounding area mid-August with broken air-conditiong in the van.
Exactly. I'm not a fashionist'o' (is that the male version? 😉) at all, but any time I see the bottom button enclosed I think, "AHHHHH!!!!" I didn't know this rule until someone told me but now it's engrained in me.👍Fashion mavens will also say never button the bottom button.
They busted out spaghetti at my very first interview for our lunch...😱 Fortunately, there weren't any disastersKeep it on. Are you really that messy of an eater? What are they serving you, spaghetti?
More on topic, I think that I would only take off my suit coat if the person "in charge" took his off. Like if the dean of admissions was at the lunch and he was wearing a suit coat but took it off to eat, then I think you're safe
I have long monkey-arms and so my shirt under my suit coat was sleeve-less to avoid the hassle of tailoring. Therefore, I never took my coat off because it would have looked quite odd.
I think if you are wearing a full-sleeved, professional dress shirt under your coat it is appropriate to take it off at lunch. That being said, if you are a female wearing a sleeveless or short-sleeved shirt/shell/cami/anything under your coat, keep your coat on.
I think if you are wearing a full-sleeved, professional dress shirt under your coat it is appropriate to take it off at lunch. That being said, if you are a female wearing a sleeveless or short-sleeved shirt/shell/cami/anything under your coat, keep your coat on.
Another tip is to bring a small pack of wet wipes.
keep it on.
It doesn't matter at all. I took mine off during the tour portion and lunch portion.
I was never this neurotic as a pre-med! 🙄
I was never this neurotic as a pre-med! 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only took my suit off for lunches. It might also be appropriate during a tour when it's hot outside.
Keep it on during all interview/personal interaction with your interviewer/administrators. Otherwise, feel free to remove it for lunch or tours if you get hot..it's only rude if you do it during an interview/professional setting bc it makes you appear more "Relaxed" than you should be during an interview (and it's part of the attire for an interview) 😛
Alll the kids I've seen in interview waiting rooms had it off while they were sitting, waiting, and chatting with others.
Alll the kids I've seen in interview waiting rooms had it off while they were sitting, waiting, and chatting with others.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM&autoplay=1[/YOUTUBE]
Last edited:
From what I've seen, lots of people will take them off during lunch. I personally don't because I sweat like a mofo in my suit and that's just embarassing. Also if they have like a student-panel at the end of the day, or something along those lines, it's appropriate to take it off then. I just leave mine on until I change at the airport.
At my MSU interview there was a guy who didn't even come wearing a jacket (GASP!)
and there was a girl who was wearing a tshirt under her jacket...that was longer than her jacket...and untucked. smh.
^^don't do either of those things.
and there was a girl who was wearing a tshirt under her jacket...that was longer than her jacket...and untucked. smh.
^^don't do either of those things.
All men kept their coats on during lunch last year. I didn't eat much because we were all talking to each other or asking questions to the medical student at the table. Don't focus too much on your food.
lol, i have so much trouble eating at interviews. always a rock in my stomach if i haven't interviewed yet.
At what times does the coat come off (or appropriate to take off)? I'd assume never, but I've seen a couple interviewee's take it off or not have one worn during tours etc.
Most applicants take off their suit jacket during lunch (I refer to it as a jacket as do many others, but I'm assuming we are referring to the same thing).
Very few keep it on while eating, because you don't ever want to dry clean wool.
However, after that you keep it on.
I took it off during lunch for my interviews, and it was totally fine.
During tours...suck it up.
wow just relax and stop thinking so much. nobody cares if it's on or off as long as its not during your interview.
But I was starving 🙁🙁
I got two servings of lunch at my interview.
Should I write a letter to the admissions office apologizing for my voracious appetite? Should I write the letter on scented paper?
It's good practice to take it off for lunch, sometimes the interview itself. Possibly the three-mile run, and definitely the group shower.
But seriously, I kept mine on all day. Though I was super nervous about my tie during lunch.
But seriously, I kept mine on all day. Though I was super nervous about my tie during lunch.
But seriously, I kept mine on all day. Though I was super nervous about my tie during lunch.
Ironic, given ties were invented to protect shirts from food.
Really?Ironic, given ties were invented to protect shirts from food.
Really?
You get a real narrow area where you can afford to spill food.
OP: You will generally be eating sandwiches. If you can't manage to avoid getting that all over, go practice your eating skills.
Take off your coat if you wish during the tour if it's hot, but for ease just keep it on.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's why it seemed an odd explanation to me...not a very good design for the intended use, you know?You get a real narrow area where you can afford to spill food.
4
45408
You took your suit off for lunch?I only took my suit off for lunches. It might also be appropriate during a tour when it's hot outside.
2
235788
Solid thread. Thanks guys!
K
kpcrew
That's why it seemed an odd explanation to me...not a very good design for the intended use, you know?
well if food falls directly down, then it should hit right about there...unless if it dribbles out of the corner of your mouth?
At my MSU interview there was a guy who didn't even come wearing a jacket (GASP!)
^^don't do either of those things.
I saw this at an interview last week. He was the only guy without one. It honestly makes no difference to me. I would've just felt out of place if I were him. 😳
Similar threads
- Locked
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 2K