Suit question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochemgirl22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to wear black suit pants with a dark maroonish-black blazer? The outfit as a whole looks very good and the colors go well together so look wise I think it's professional. Is it okay that it's not black on black though? Or should I stay safe and buy a new black suit blazer?

Just wondering if as long as it looks good is it ok or does it have to match.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're very pregnant, it would be OK.
Otherwise, no -- buy a whole matching (same fabric) suit.

Read the Women's Interview Clothing threads for lots of really good information

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay to wear black suit pants with a dark maroonish-black blazer. The outfit as a whole looks very good and the colors go well together so look wise I think it's professional. Is it okay that it's not black on black though? Or should I stay safe and buy a new black suit blazer?

Just wondering if as long as it looks good is it ok or does it have to match.

A suit doesn't need to be black and it might be better if it is not black. There are many shades of dark blue and dark gray that are entirely appropriate and make the applicant tour groups look less like funeral processions.

Reactions: 4 users
A suit doesn't need to be black and it might be better if it is not black. There are many shades of dark blue and dark gray that are entirely appropriate and make the applicant tour groups look less like funeral processions.

Thank you LizzyM!

I don't really have much money to spare right now so I might stick with wearing what I have. Which is black pants with the dark marooninsh black blazer and a white button up.

Last edited:

agree, very hard to match by color and fabric, need to buy whole suit

Reactions: 1 user
I would cut some slack to someone who interviews in dress slacks and blazer that looks professional. The matchy-matchy is not a high priority for me. I don't even see the applicant from the waist down once we are seated.

If money is tight man you could try Men's Warehouse and rent a suit? If you have enough notice they can even order one that truly fits you so it'll look very sharp, the only downside is that if you keep getting interviews it's probably just a better decision to buy!

If money is tight man you could try Men's Warehouse and rent a suit? If you have enough notice they can even order one that truly fits you so it'll look very sharp, the only downside is that if you keep getting interviews it's probably just a better decision to buy!

I'm going out on a limb to say that @biochemgirl22 likely does not shop at Men's Wearhouse.

Reactions: 15 users
That's why everyone wears black - you can't possibly match any other color unless you buy everything together at the same time

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why everyone wears black - you can't possibly match any other color unless you buy everything together at the same time

So you think it's common for someone to get a black jacket from somewhere and slacks from somewhere else?

So you think it's common for someone to get a black jacket from somewhere and slacks from somewhere else?

I did that! I mean they are the same color haha

I don't know, there are a lot of different shades of black. Unless you get really lucky and match the shade and fabric texture perfectly such that a third party will confirm that they match, you might be better off purposefully not matching. Although of course, a full matching suit is best. Try thrift stores! A thrifted suit that fits in the shoulders and a little bit of tailoring is a lot cheaper than buying one new.

Reactions: 1 users
I bought a gray suit all at the same time and also have a black suit bought in pieces.

I agree with the above that it's pretty easy to match black from several places, but nearly impossible to match a different color unless you buy it at the same time.

Regardless of the color, you should probably have a matching suit.

I did that! I mean they are the same color haha

Sadly, it's not uncommon. It's also not a good idea. Better a non-match than a near-miss. So burgundy and black or Black & White and solid black rather than Black-A and Black-B. Or if you have a nice jacket now, a simple sheath dress (not too tight!) in a complementary fabric might be the best non-match option.

Consider checking Goodwill or other such stores; sometimes you can find a nice suit which needs minimal tailoring.

Very true -- Or ebay. Just measure carefully first, particularly in the jacket shoulders. If the jacket shoulders are the right width and you have enough fabric in the skirt or pants, all else can be fixed.

If possible I would try to buy one or 2 nice suits. Charcoal grey and navy blue for a guy, not sure if the same holds true for women. You're going to be interviewing for residency, fellowship, and attending jobs. Also likely to attend a wedding or two etc.

Maybe it's too late--but Ebay will lead to some beautiful suits for 100 dollars or so that retail upwards of 1000. I will be interviewing in brioni and ralph lauren purple

If possible I would try to buy one or 2 nice suits. Charcoal grey and navy blue for a guy, not sure if the same holds true for women. You're going to be interviewing for residency, fellowship, and attending jobs. Also likely to attend a wedding or two etc.

You also might gain/loose weight in 4 years before your residency interviews