Sumbit app with old MCAT before getting new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salad1n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking the MCAT July 29; first one is low (22, with little prep, it was more like a diagnostic run, dumb move on my part). Question is should I get my transcripts in now and submit my application as soon as possible or wait until my new MCAT score arrives which I assume will be early August? I heard some schools screen you out with low MCAT, and I don't want that to happen. Will be applying to several DO schools and state MD (Nebraska).
Stats: 3.8cGPA, 3.7 sci, decent extra-curricular/LOR's, nothing fantastic.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with it. However, I would look closely at cutoff MCAT scores that schools have to screen out applicants. Also, I'd indicate on the AACOMAS application that you plan to take an MCAT in the near future. Apply broadly (and smartly).

I'd go with it. However, I would look closely at cutoff MCAT scores that schools have to screen out applicants. Also, I'd indicate on the AACOMAS application that you plan to take an MCAT in the near future. Apply broadly (and smartly).

It does it for you in the MCAT section if you fill it out and state you have scheduled a retake.

I did, but I think it's personal preference. You don't want to submit too late, but I don't think August is that late with a lot of the DO deadlines. Another option is submitting your application now with 1 school, then add all of the additional schools with more stringent cutoffs after you get your new score, so you don't get pre-screened out of the application pool (not sure if they actually do this if you state you are retaking). Just a note though, if you do it this way then you're charged $50.00 for the first school added after you submit and $32.00 for each after that (per transaction). The extra $18.00 is a penalty, but could be worth it in your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does it for you in the MCAT section if you fill it out and state you have scheduled a retake.

I did, but I think it's personal preference. You don't want to submit too late, but I don't think August is that late with a lot of the DO deadlines. Another option is submitting your application now with 1 school, then add all of the additional schools with more stringent cutoffs after you get your new score, so you don't get pre-screened out of the application pool (not sure if they actually do this if you state you are retaking). Just a note though, if you do it this way then you're charged $50.00 for the first school added after you submit and $32.00 for each after that (per transaction). The extra $18.00 is a penalty, but could be worth it in your situation.

This is what I was trying to say in a nutshell. And, as far as the MCAT goes, that's what I meant. You want to indicate in the MCAT section of the application that you're planning a retake.

I am also waiting for my 2nd MCAT score. I submitted my applications for 1 school. I will submit rest when I get my result.

Thanks for input guys.

I'm taking some summer science classes which end mid August, so If I send in transcripts now, I will have to send in them again later to update the GPA or do I even have to?
How long does it typically take for it to get into the system?

Thanks for input guys.

I'm taking some summer science classes which end mid August, so If I send in transcripts now, I will have to send in them again later to update the GPA or do I even have to?
How long does it typically take for it to get into the system?

I don't think you do. I believe it's just transcripts for what has been taken, not what's in progress.

I had my transcripts mailed two weeks ago and they still haven't received them.