Summary of Community Pharmacist Layoff,Pay Cuts, Other Negatives OCT 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have worked at 3 independent pharmacies that over time were swallowed up by either CVS or Walgreens. They come to your area and let you know that they will open, offer you a cash prize to buy your scripts or you can choose to compete. Majority of the time, the pharmacy owners will sell their scripts. You think you can escape but I eventually learned.

I also worked at K-mart pharmacy and Stater Brothers pharmacy. Both now gone.

Anyone who plans on going into pharmacy, the booming times are over.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends got into hospital pharmacy with the basic rph license that was 10 years ago.......now you can never do that without a residency or PharmD ........and lots of luck
10 yrs ago, you have a pulse you have a job anywhere. Hospital, metros wherever whatever you want. Quit today, work at another pharmacy tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw something for the first time...

An independent pharmacy in the oldest cowboy town in the Midwest kept its logo, but added underneath its sign “processed by Walgreens”

Coming off as wags taking over smaller businesses and hide under their logo for partial profits. In the end, money is money.

I have worked at 3 independent pharmacies that over time were swallowed up by either CVS or Walgreens. They come to your area and let you know that they will open, offer you a cash prize to buy your scripts or you can choose to compete. Majority of the time, the pharmacy owners will sell their scripts. You think you can escape but I eventually learned.

I also worked at K-mart pharmacy and Stater Brothers pharmacy. Both now gone.

Anyone who plans on going into pharmacy, the booming times are over.

Tell that to all these youngsters heading in now. I feel so bad for them. It's impossible at their young, impressionable age to understand the gravity of whats going on and the implications it will have on their life.