Summer Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fiddle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am becoming increasingly set on pursuing a career in osreopathic medicine. I am enjoying most of my prerequisite courses, have a respectable gpa, and attend a prestigious liberal arts college. It would seem that things are falling into place well. My biggest concern, however, is what i should be doing over the summer. How can I get involved in research; or more importanatly finding a DO that I can shadow, ask advice of, get a recommendation from, etc???

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

What you can do is contact your state's local osteopathic association and they can give you a list of members in your area that might be interested in helping you. Just keep in mind that you will probaly contact three or four before finding one that is interested in letting you spend serious time with them. This is probaly the most useful thing you can do with your summer because it gives you an idea about what practicing osteopathic medicine is all about and gives you health related experience for your applications. Try and find a D.O. who uses OMT on a daily basis if possible. If you have never been treated with OMT or never seen OMT in action, it should be very helpful to you in deciding if osteopathic medicine is for you.

-Joshua