Summer At Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

signature16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking both semesters of Organic Chemistry this summer.

I can either take it at University of Southern California where I'm currently going or Harvard. I was thinking of taking it at Harvard because it would be a change in scenery and Harvard is a great school.

Harvard summer session is open to anybody. I know the teaching staff will probably be great, but it seems like summer at Harvard is basically reduced down to community college standards if anybody can take the classes. I'm not sure how this will reflect on my apps when I apply. Positive or negative?

Should I take OChem at USC or Harvard?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't make a difference.

Take it for the change of scenery if you want to, but nobody will care on your apps.

It won't make a difference.

Take it for the change of scenery if you want to, but nobody will care on your apps.

to the contrary that is not quite true. It totally depends on the interviewer and his personality. Some people like to see prestige on the applicants application. But thats just my 0.02 cents. Just do what you like thats really all that matters in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
It probably will not matter...taking it at Harvard might help you at some Boston area schools, and/or at Harvard, but very few people are competitive for Harvard med school anyhow. Do you know anything about the quality of Organic chem in summer school at
a) USC and
b) Harvard
That would be important. You want it to be challenging, but not impossible, and you want them not to cut corners just b/c it's summer school.

IMHO taking the entire orgo sequence during summer school sounds brutal and not like a good plan, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure it can be done, but when I took O-chem (forever ago) I felt like it took some time to figure out what was going on and to absorb the material. Be sure you know what you are doing.

Oh yeah, you should factor in the cost of going to Boston vs. USC as well. I don't think where you take the class will have that much effect on your med school application later...USC is a pretty well known university as well, right? Would think that for Cali med schools especially, they will know what a particular grade in organic chem at USC means (i.e. how many students get A vs. B+ vs. B) and would be able to evaluate your application accordingly. Probably ditto for Boston med schools r.e. Harvards o-chem summer school course. BUt that's just my opinion. Either place, the most important thing will be try to ace it if you can.

it seems like summer at Harvard is basically reduced down to community college standards if anybody can take the classes.

What. Okay, so, having attended Harvard and taken the summer orgo course there, can I just say that it is far from "community college standards." A number of Harvard students are in the course, and many of the students are from other prestigious schools like Dartmouth and Northwestern. Technically, anyone with the money to take it could take it, but you're looking at some fairly steep competition regardless - an A in the course is still damn good.

That said, I don't think it would actually make a difference whether you take the course at Harvard or at your home institution. Just wanted to clarify that it ain't community college :p.

I'm planning on taking both semesters of Organic Chemistry this summer.

I can either take it at University of Southern California where I'm currently going or Harvard. I was thinking of taking it at Harvard because it would be a change in scenery and Harvard is a great school.

Harvard summer session is open to anybody. I know the teaching staff will probably be great, but it seems like summer at Harvard is basically reduced down to community college standards if anybody can take the classes. I'm not sure how this will reflect on my apps when I apply. Positive or negative?

Should I take OChem at USC or Harvard?

I took Orgo at Harvard Summer School so I can probably help.

I took it with 3 friends from different, well-known undergrads (one from stanford, one from UCSD, etc) and they all got low B's, and these are people with 3.8s at their undergrads. TRUST ME, that class is NOT easy. It is concentrated to an extent you wouldn't even believe, and you live and breathe orgo for the entire summer. It's miserable and hard. I took it there because it's actually easier than my undergrad, but that was a seriously suffered summer. Also, housing at Harvard is super-expensive and a lot of the houses where you could be staying are pretty far (one of my friends was assigned a dorm that was a 20 minute walk from campus, and for that kind of money that should NOT happen). The professor was OK, the t.a.'s were FANTASTIC and there was a lot of support, all kinds of recitations and review sessions, etc. Anyways, if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

i took orgo @ harvard! it was actually great getting it over with in one summer, although there was a lot of class (4 hours a day of class, plus 2 5 hour labs a week and one 2 hour review session on Fridays) and a test every monday. no curve though, so it's really not a competition or anything. also a good mix of harvard and non-harvard students.

to the contrary that is not quite true. It totally depends on the interviewer and his personality. Some people like to see prestige on the applicants application. But thats just my 0.02 cents. Just do what you like thats really all that matters in the end.

The "Harvard" name on a transcript for 2 classes will do nothing for your app. I don't care where you apply.

The "Harvard" name on a transcript for 2 classes will do nothing for your app. I don't care where you apply.

If you are an adcom, I see the validity in your response. Im not saying it does matter, But for some people its what they like to see. And it also has to do with the feeling that you archived getting into to such a school Its quite a accomplishment and its something to be proud of. I wouldnt go on to say it will do nothing because it will surely do "something"

If you are an adcom, I see the validity in your response. Im not saying it does matter, But for some people its what they like to see. And it also has to do with the feeling that you archived getting into to such a school Its quite a accomplishment and its something to be proud of. I wouldnt go on to say it will do nothing because it will surely do "something"

No.

Just, no.

Getting into Harvard Summer School? I'm pretty sure (I mean 99.99999%) that those courses are open to the public and you probably only have to meet the pre-reqs, (1 yr. chem and 1 yr. bio are the prereqs in my school). There's a big difference between being admitted into Harvard College and of course taking classes there versus just taking a summer class there. If you want to classify the former as an achievement, then that's fine. But I just want to clear the misconception that you have to go through an application/admissions process or something to take a class at Harvard Summer School. It's just a class. No magical alarm will go off because of it when an adcom reads your AMCAS.

Last edited:
Getting into Harvard Summer School? I'm pretty sure (I mean 99.99999%) that those courses are open to the public and you probably only have to meet the pre-reqs, (1 yr. chem and 1 yr. bio are the prereqs in my school). There's a big difference between being admitted into Harvard College and of course taking classes there versus just taking a summer class there. The former, yes, you can classify as an "achievement" if you want, but the latter, no. I just want to clear that misconception.

Seriously, you're just taking classes there. It will NOT set-off some magical alarm when the adcoms read your AMCAS.

there is no misconception to my post at least in my opinion. But i have to disagree. The school is not teaching 99.999% of the classes to the public. The numbers are far lower than that. while it is not as big of a feat as being accepted to Harvard College. It still does have some meaning to be able to Take classes at a school with such a history. Now whether or not this matters to you i dont know. But to some people it does. Like i said in my previous post It just matters where he wants to go. regardless of whether or not It "alarms" a bell for the adcoms. However there is no point in arguing over such a pointless topic since you will simply have your opinion.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ANY highly ranked school should never be compared to community college, especially the number 1 school.

the only reason Harvards name would help you is because you got ACCEPTED to the school, so they obviously saw something in you as a person, if anyone can just take a course there, and you happened to take the course there, its not going to whow anyone.

Dont add stress to your life by moving to a new location while taking an intense summer of Ochem, Stick to your home school.

take it at harvard, but you are probably best off with only taking one semester at a time. You can take the first semester at USC, then in the summer take the ochem 2

ANY highly ranked school should never be compared to community college, especially the number 1 school.

That's absurd. You learn the same thing at Harvard that you will at community college that you will in your own basement if you have the motivation.

there is no misconception to my post at least in my opinion. But i have to disagree. The school is not teaching 99.999% of the classes to the public. The numbers are far lower than that. while it is not as big of a feat as being accepted to Harvard College.

It is no feat whatsover. You don't even have to apply, everyone is accepted to most of their summer school programs.

It is no feat whatsover. You don't even have to apply, everyone is accepted to most of their summer school programs.

Exactly. Thank you.

If you can pay the summer course fee and submit the registration in time then you can take the class. End of story.

I'm planning on taking both semesters of Organic Chemistry this summer...

it seems like summer at Harvard is basically reduced down to community college standards if anybody can take the classes.

Before you worry about the quality of the classes, remember that you are after all condensing a year of organic chemistry into one summer.

That in itself might be less favorable in the eyes of adcoms but then again who am I to know.

There is no "accomplishment" to being accepted to their summer ochem classes. Those classes are open to anyone on a first come, first served basis. Adcomm members are well aware of that. Attending a summer class there may impress family, friends, and enemies, but it won't impress the ones who will determine the fate of your med school acceptance.

There is nothing wrong with the course. If someone has the money to afford it, and wants to take a course there for any reason, even if it's just because they want to be able to tell others that they "went to Harvard", fine. Just don't expect attending a summer class to boost your chances for admission to any particular med school.

Don't confuse "anyone can enroll" with "anyone can pass". It's a rigorous course, you'll probably have to work your butt off. If you have the extra 6k and are willing to work very hard, then by all means come enjoy the yummy Cambridge summer. Just for godsake don't walk around afterward saying you went to harvard, you will sound like a massive tool.

Don't confuse "anyone can enroll" with "anyone can pass". It's a rigorous course, you'll probably have to work your butt off. If you have the extra 6k and are willing to work very hard, then by all means come enjoy the yummy Cambridge summer. Just for godsake don't walk around afterward saying you went to harvard, you will sound like a massive tool.
:thumbup: I know people who've done that...it's obnoxious.

Before you worry about the quality of the classes, remember that you are after all condensing a year of organic chemistry into one summer.

That in itself might be less favorable in the eyes of adcoms but then again who am I to know.

I took two full prereqs (8 credits each, with lab) in two summers, and applying has been going fine for me.

Summer classes, in general, are looked at no less favorably than any other classes. It's the same material, and the same number of classroom hours, covered in a condensed timeframe.

Some people do not retain what they learn in summer class as well as that taken over a regular semester, but others actually learn better because they are immersed in a single subject that is built on day-to-day.

I go to USC and, although I didn't take o chem during the summer, I know many people that did. O chem in summer is brutal. Its longer than other summer courses here, takes up nearly your entire day, and you get no break. Everyone I've known that has taken it in the summer 1. has never learned anything 2. thought it was much harder because of the pace 3. hated it.

If you want to get some sciences out of the way, take USC Physics over the summer. Its much easier in the summer and is taught by better professors.

I guess my main question is why do you want to take o chem in the summer? If its graduating early, there are many ways to do that. If its just getting classes out of the way, then o chem is a poor choice.

That's absurd. You learn the same thing at Harvard that you will at community college that you will in your own basement if you have the motivation.

I dont mean to offend anyone, I know that the material is the same thing and it really depends on how much the INDIVIDUAL puts into learning the material. I'm NOT saying that if you went to a community college then what you learned is any different then if you were to go to a highly ranked school.

What I am saying is that the highly ranked school tests it students in a different way, because they Can not just hand out 350 A's to everyone in the class, so they weed out students by writing harder tests, so students are forced to study the material more rigorously to get an A.

I was refering to difficulty in getting a good grade, but I guess this is a bad example because of the grade inflation at harvard

I'm NOT putting down community colleges, I actually think going to community college for 2-3 years and then transfering is a good thing for pre-med students

I took organic during the summer of my freshman year here at NU (my undergrad), and it was the worst 9 weeks of my life. I didn't really retain much material (granted it's been 3 years) and was basically fighting tooth and nail with the other students in the class to beat the average. In the beginning, our class had about 90 students, but by the third quarter it was down to 25 or so.

When sophomore year began, I was talking to juniors, many of whom had dropped the course at NU after a few weeks, and opted to take it at Harvard during the summer. They all said organic at Harvard was much more straightforward because the syntheses weren't as involved and the mechanisms weren't as intricate. The same material was taught, but the tests had a different focus.

I suppose the point to my rambling is: it doesn't really matter where you take it, organic at Harvard might be slightly more straightforward (this is based purely on hearsay from upperclassmen), and organic during the summer sucks...a lot. It's too expensive and you don't get much out of it. If you're hellbent on taking it during the summer anyways, take it at USC where you can at least save some money on housing (if money is even an issue for you). Just my two cents. :)

I took Physiology at Harvard Extension while I was working there a couple years ago, and while I got a lot out of it I have to say it was kind of a joke grade wise. Harvard is kind of cool, but frankly USC is a damn nice place to be. I'll agree with the others and say that no one cares that you took organic at Harvard, in fact I believe that many would prefer that you do it at your home institution.

People make a big deal about orgo, hell I did when I was in school. Honestly, it is really not that bad if you get your head right. In any case, you don't really need to know it to be a doctor, and what you need to know for the MCAT is much simpler than the course itself. Just relax, pretend you've never learned anything about chemistry before, and have fun with it. You might actually like it.

Um, we are talking about Harvard SUMMER SCHOOL here. SUMMER SCHOOL. Not only do you not apply to get in, but many of the classes are truncated/watered down/non-curved versions of the academic year courses...