Summer before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personal jesus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what I do this summer? Im trying to decide between NIH research job and a higher paying job that lets me be outside all summer. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

personal jesus said:
Does it matter what I do this summer? Im trying to decide between NIH research job and a higher paying job that lets me be outside all summer. Any thoughts?

OUTSIDE!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're already accepted, who cares. Do what YOU want to do. This may be your last true summer EVER. So go travel, party, beat Final Fantasy...., become a male gigolo. As long as you dont kill anyone, med schools wont care.

My dad is a doctor and he has often said that one of the worst thing he ever did was work the summer inbetween college and med school. So when I graduated my parents gave me a nice big check and said that they money was mine under one condition: it had to be used for a one month trip to Tuscany the summer before med school . . . really wasn't hard to sell me on the idea. Its your last gasps of freedom for a LONG time, don't waste it!

celticmists18 said:
My dad is a doctor and the worst thing he ever did was work the summer inbetween college and med school. So when I graduated my parents gave me a nice big check and said that they money was mine under one condition: it had to be used for a one month trip to Tuscany the summer before med school . . . really wasn't hard to sell me on the idea. Its your last gasps of freedom for a LONG time, don't waste it!

that must be nice, having parents who could afford to send you off to tuscany for a month. can they adopt me? :rolleyes:

musiclink213 said:
that must be nice, having parents who could afford to send you off to tuscany for a month. can they adopt me? :rolleyes:

I consider it a consulation price 'cause they aren't giving me a dime for medical school.

If you have been accepted, definitely choose the job outside. I had an outside job last summer and it was amazing!

Unfortunately, I am going to be working until like 2 weeks before med school. The company I am working for just hired me (I was temping beforehand) so I don't want to bail on them right away. Also, I am making pretty good money--it will be nice to have some money saved up for med school.

Lochmoor said:
If you're already accepted, who cares. Do what YOU want to do. This may be your last true summer EVER. So go travel, party, beat Final Fantasy...., become a male gigolo. As long as you dont kill anyone, med schools wont care.

you'll probably have 2-3 months off before residency. go for the NIH job.

PSYCHE

After almost finishing the 1st year of med school, I would suggest taking the outside job. Do something laid back and enjoyable. Rest your mind for next year.

who wants to go scuba diving in baja??

outside...

and celtic....DAMN that is a sweeet proposition.