• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

personal jesus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
Does it matter what I do this summer? Im trying to decide between NIH research job and a higher paying job that lets me be outside all summer. Any thoughts?

mattorama

Walk Unafraid
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
personal jesus said:
Does it matter what I do this summer? Im trying to decide between NIH research job and a higher paying job that lets me be outside all summer. Any thoughts?
OUTSIDE!!!! :D

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This is simple

OUTSIDE!!!!

About the Ads

Lochmoor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
Status
If you're already accepted, who cares. Do what YOU want to do. This may be your last true summer EVER. So go travel, party, beat Final Fantasy...., become a male gigolo. As long as you dont kill anyone, med schools wont care.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
My dad is a doctor and he has often said that one of the worst thing he ever did was work the summer inbetween college and med school. So when I graduated my parents gave me a nice big check and said that they money was mine under one condition: it had to be used for a one month trip to Tuscany the summer before med school . . . really wasn't hard to sell me on the idea. Its your last gasps of freedom for a LONG time, don't waste it!

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
celticmists18 said:
My dad is a doctor and the worst thing he ever did was work the summer inbetween college and med school. So when I graduated my parents gave me a nice big check and said that they money was mine under one condition: it had to be used for a one month trip to Tuscany the summer before med school . . . really wasn't hard to sell me on the idea. Its your last gasps of freedom for a LONG time, don't waste it!
that must be nice, having parents who could afford to send you off to tuscany for a month. can they adopt me? :rolleyes:

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
musiclink213 said:
that must be nice, having parents who could afford to send you off to tuscany for a month. can they adopt me? :rolleyes:
I consider it a consulation price 'cause they aren't giving me a dime for medical school.

snowbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
Status
If you have been accepted, definitely choose the job outside. I had an outside job last summer and it was amazing!

Unfortunately, I am going to be working until like 2 weeks before med school. The company I am working for just hired me (I was temping beforehand) so I don't want to bail on them right away. Also, I am making pretty good money--it will be nice to have some money saved up for med school.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
Status
Lochmoor said:
If you're already accepted, who cares. Do what YOU want to do. This may be your last true summer EVER. So go travel, party, beat Final Fantasy...., become a male gigolo. As long as you dont kill anyone, med schools wont care.
you'll probably have 2-3 months off before residency. go for the NIH job.

PSYCHE

vwhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
Augusta
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
After almost finishing the 1st year of med school, I would suggest taking the outside job. Do something laid back and enjoyable. Rest your mind for next year.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Half way home
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
who wants to go scuba diving in baja??

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
outside...

and celtic....DAMN that is a sweeet proposition.

About the Ads