Summer before Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZooVet2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I guess this is mostly for current VetMed students. I was just accepted into Vet School and am wondering how I can better prepare myself for the rigors associated with this chosen professional discipline. Most of my background is in wildlife rehabilitation and I have little to know experience with physiology of domestics. Would you suggest to read up on the common VetMed stuff prior to starting classes? Or will they teach me everything I need to know? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm just concerned that I'm not as prepared as everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

We have this thread every year, and every year the current vet students' answer is RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'LL DO ENOUGH STUDYING IN THE FALL!!!! ;)

Yeah, I plan on sitting around with my boyfriend all summer watching movies. Seriously, we're going to be hitting the books HARD for four years. And after graduation, we roll right into a career. Enjoy those last few months to the fullest! :thumbup: You were accepted. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
My bf and I are renting a house with a pool so I plan on spending most of my free time hours out there pleasure reading trashy fiction and catching some sun.

I do think I am going to get these flashcards a SDN vet student recommended to brush up on my technical terms. It has been 8+ years for me on my anatomy and physiology classes.
http://www.amazon.com/Saunders-Vete...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269446748&sr=1-1

Hmm but those can be studied by the pool:cool:

Hand- those flashcards sound like a great idea!
I will be moving in august but after classes are over in may I am leasing a horse for the summer..yay for learning how to riding English!

If I get in, I'm working all summer. In fact, I'll probably pick up a night job too. I'm going to need some money for furniture and stuff. Oh and I'll continue thinking about the dog I want to adopt.

RELAX. Take a nice vacation. Travel. Learn a new language. Take an interesting class on making pottery, yoga, self defense, etc, something that will give you a little something to chill out with in vet school. You'll be fine.

I've been debating about looking for a job. Then I realized I haven't had a free summer since freshman year of high school. I'm finishing up a 2 yr research fellowship, so you know what, im going to be lazy this summer. :DMove into my new apt!! yay!! decorate as much as i can without buying new things. Hopefully (finally) take the road trip across the country like ive always wanted to do. :woot: And you know what, i bet July-Aug will go by in the blink of an eye and then I will be ready to throw my life away for the books!!

HandD-thanks for that link, now i won't feel as guilty this summer if i know some terms :D

I am planning on finishing up my dissertation and then heading out to eastern europe for a few weeks to celebrate said dissertation!

I will be laying about with my boyfriend at his pool and then traveling to London and the Caribbean with him.

I will be hopefully working and probably taking classes as well.

Those flash cards: what are on them? The review on amazon just makes it sound like it's just a pronunciation guide. Do they have things like insertions, origins, and actions? Or what?

I will be hopefully working and probably taking classes as well.

Those flash cards: what are on them? The review on amazon just makes it sound like it's just a pronunciation guide. Do they have things like insertions, origins, and actions? Or what?

I stumbled across them on this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=703676&highlight=veterinary+terminology

Sumstorm brought them up but I don't think she has ever used them. If anyone has used them maybe they can comment? I have not bought them yet. She also mentions a text so maybe that is a better option

Here is the same thing but in an app version:
http://appshopper.com/medical/saunders-veterinary-terminology-flash-cards

Gives a tiny bit more info as well as some sample cards...not sure how helpful but...

Members don't see this ad :)
"

• Color-coded cards are divided into groups by word component part - combining form, prefix, suffix, or abbreviation - for ease of use.
  • Cards are indexed by body system, with the related system clearly printed on each card for quick identification.
  • 350 full-color illustrations clearly demonstrate key concepts and provide a visual way to remember terms and definitions.
  • Word-building examples allow you to practice combining word component parts to form veterinary terms, offering definitions for each individual word part and the clinical definition of the resulting term.
  • When you purchase these flash cards, you also gain free access to the Evolve website for Christenson: Veterinary Medical Terminology, 2nd Edition. It offers definitions and audio pronunciations for 4,500 veterinary terms, as well as four interactive learning activities. "

I just bought them. I have a feeling it will be more basic terminology. it sounds like something good for the summer before vet school. i have a feeling we will learn all of this during the first semester. but we'll see. Im a huge flashcard fan so i will def use them even if they are basic. One less thing I have to make myself!! I'll let you know how they are after I see them. But ya, sounds like the basic info probably latin terminology and separated into body systems

I'll be finding a job and working full time. All I can think about people that vacation and don't work all summer is, man - you guys must be loaded! Knowing that I can make 4k or so over the summer means that I can pay that much more tuition and not be paying it back until I'm 90. Otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about studying much. I have never taken a cell biology class and knowing that's a part of my 1st year curriculum I might do a little "light reading" on the subject, but I'm definitely not doing any hardcore studying.

Blackat, how much did it cost for you and where did you purchase them. After reading this thread, it's something I'd like to look into as well. I need something to do when I'm off work (like I am right now).

I'll be finding a job and working full time. All I can think about people that vacation and don't work all summer is, man - you guys must be loaded! Knowing that I can make 4k or so over the summer means that I can pay that much more tuition and not be paying it back until I'm 90. Otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about studying much. I have never taken a cell biology class and knowing that's a part of my 1st year curriculum I might do a little "light reading" on the subject, but I'm definitely not doing any hardcore studying.

Not loaded, but I have been saving for 2 years while on the job because I knew i would need money later. So I have a nice cushion that I built for myself. My fellowship ends June 29. So then I move into my apartment. The only time I could work is from July 5 to Aug 20. Who would want a worker for that short period of time? lol And in reality it would be shorter because I know it won't take 1 weekend to move across the states.

Not loaded, but I have been saving for 2 years while on the job because I knew i would need money later. So I have a nice cushion that I built for myself. My fellowship ends June 29. So then I move into my apartment. The only time I could work is from July 5 to Aug 20. Who would want a worker for that short period of time? lol And in reality it would be shorter because I know it won't take 1 weekend to move across the states.

That's a little different if you're not done until (basically) July. I'm more talking about the people that take the entire summer off and do things like go to Europe for a while, big vacations, etc. I'm not judging them, just incredibly jealous if they can afford it.

Blackat, how much did it cost for you and where did you purchase them. After reading this thread, it's something I'd like to look into as well. I need something to do when I'm off work (like I am right now).

Saunders Veterinary Terminology Flash Cards-on Amazon cost me 31$ free shipping. original price 40$.

Yea it looks good for just basic casual studying. I'm sure it will make it easier to read like what sumstorm said...when you see there are 20 of these words in a paragraph. can't hurt :) and since most of my experience is lab/research i need to refresh my clinical side!

That's a little different if you're not done until (basically) July. I'm more talking about the people that take the entire summer off and do things like go to Europe for a while, big vacations, etc. I'm not judging them, just incredibly jealous if they can afford it.

I'm definitely not rich, but 4k is a drop in the bucket compared to what I'm going to owe. So for the time being, I'll take my sanity. And I'm jealous of people that can travel to Europe, too! :rolleyes:

oya, didnt think u were judging :) i'd be curious how ppl can afford it too. I think most of us have been out of undergrad for a lil while. and let me tell you, even on a cheap ass salary (25k) if you plan ahead and really try hard...u can save money. that's what i did. I'm also soooo glad my fellowship ends later because you're right...if i had to pay May-Aug with no income that would be much harder

Thanks Blackat. I'll probably get that after my next pay check. Please let me know what you think of it after you've been using them for awhile.

A bit on the high side though...but great reviews and it looks like it can be a long term reference throughout your career.

If you buy it used through the Amazon marketplace (or whatever it's called) it's a lot cheaper, like $8 + shipping (so about $12). That's how I buy all my books through amazon; no complaints yet!

oya, didnt think u were judging :) i'd be curious how ppl can afford it too. I think most of us have been out of undergrad for a lil while. and let me tell you, even on a cheap ass salary (25k) if you plan ahead and really try hard...u can save money. that's what i did. I'm also soooo glad my fellowship ends later because you're right...if i had to pay May-Aug with no income that would be much harder

If you really are curious I'll tell you :D. My mother is the best person in the world and decided to give me a present for graduating/getting into vet school. Thats the London part- and my bf is tagging along. The Caribbean part is my bfs present to me for our anniversary. Basically- I am mad mad lucky. And I thank my lucky stars.

We have this thread every year, and every year the current vet students' answer is RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'LL DO ENOUGH STUDYING IN THE FALL!!!! ;)

Seriously we need a sticky that tells people this.

Oh and make sure to spend time with whomever it is that you care about as you are not going to gt anywhere near the amount of time to spend with them for the next 4(plus if you go into internship/residency) years.

If you buy it used through the Amazon marketplace (or whatever it's called) it's a lot cheaper, like $8 + shipping (so about $12). That's how I buy all my books through amazon; no complaints yet!

When it comes to cheap textbooks, I am scrooge. Try abebooks.com they are great for cheap stuff. I have bought $1 books there (admittedly the previous edition in that case).

Anyway, the guide is available for $5 plus 3 shipping. $8 total. A 33% savings over amazon marketplace!

flash cards still high at 34+4 shipping.

Well for me I will still be getting paid (stipend) to finish up my grad school work through the summer. I'll probably defend my dissertation in June or July but after that I will probably still work in the lab for a little bit getting paid (slightly) more as a post-doc.

As far as travelling to Europe for a few weeks...well thats still in the works but if it happens we would be going with our friend (from slovakia), his wife and their kid and would basically be staying at their house over there, cutting costs significantly to just airfare, and food when we want to eat out.

I also get paid vacations so I'd still be making money while travelling which is nice

That's what I was looking for, though I wish there was a set that had all the muscles and their actions, origins, and insertions. That was a bitch to do up all those in undergrad anatomy, something tells me vet school anatomy will be worse.

I'll definitey be relaxing this summer, 0 studying for me.

I'll be helping out at a campsite/hostel in the Scottish highlands, spending lots of time hiking around the hills, reading Harry Potter in German and Spanish, and attempting to teach myself French (probably failing at this one).

Its a sweet deal if you consider the value of hanging out in Scotland for a couple months because they're giving me a free place to live and food, for just a couple hours of help/day.

I've visiting two friends out west, a week with each. First real vacation I've had in years!

Cutting back my hours at work, but still working (going from 55+ to 30-35ish) so I have time to pack up my life (aka, all the crap in my apartment) and to be a beach bum. Somehow, I dont think Oklahoma has beaches like what I'm used to....

I'll be working 55 hrs/week, same as usual. Saving every penny I can before the start of vet school!

I'll definitey be relaxing this summer, 0 studying for me.

I'll be helping out at a campsite/hostel in the Scottish highlands, spending lots of time hiking around the hills, reading Harry Potter in German and Spanish, and attempting to teach myself French (probably failing at this one).

Its a sweet deal if you consider the value of hanging out in Scotland for a couple months because they're giving me a free place to live and food, for just a couple hours of help/day.

which hostel in the highlands are you talking about? i'm going to scotland in less than a week and i could use some recommendations for travel...:)

I'll be at Lazy Duck Hostel in Nethy Bridge, in the highlands. I've never been there though, so I can't really recommend it as a hostel. I could definitely give you some advice about certain places though.

Are you going to be hitting the cities, or more of a highland experience, or both? I did some hiking in Glencoe, which is absolutely amazing. We took a train up from Edinburgh, and got to go over the railroad tracks from one of the scenes in Harry Potter. Our hostel was also right near where Hagrid's hut was (sorry i'm a huge HP nerd, deal with it) We stayed in this little hostel in the middle of a few mountains, so the scenery was incredible.

If you want specific advice about someplace, feel free to PM me. I'm glad to help :)

I'm agreeing with everyone here when I say RELAX. I'm planning on finishing work after the first week of July (leaving is going to be freaking heartbreaking :(), going camping in Maine with the boy-toy for a week, going to Bermuda with the fam the week after, then packing like mad for the move. Plenty of movies, long hikes with the dogs, and as many books as I can handle will be thrown in the mix. The next four years are long and difficult, so lay off the books until then!

Well, as for myself, I have to finish my MS thesis and wrap up some more loose ends in the lab.

As soon as my thesis is done, though! Then, relax!!

I will probably pick up more hours at work - I'm currently between 30 and 35 hours per period (2 weeks) with my classes this spring, but once classes are over I'll work more. And I'm also an equestrian. I'll be showing a ton this summer. Considering that I have NO idea where I'll be come August (accepted at Edinburgh but waitlisted at Tufts), it could be my last summer to really ride and show my horse. Heck, I might have to sell him if I end up leaving the country. In which case I will cry my little heart out, so I'm going to enjoy the summer we have left.
So my summer will be busy, as always, but hopefully I'll have enough time to enjoy the weather, read some good books, and head east to visit family.

Probably visiting a friend in Aus. I don't REALLY have the money for it, but every student I've talked to says "TAKE A VACATION". If things work out the way I think they might, I'll probably be taking a two week break at the end of June, working for a few more in July and then taking off the last two weeks before Orientation in August. I should have more than enough leave when I finish work to cover those weeks until I get financial aide disbursed.

And then at some point I'll have to develop a budget because I'm going to be dropping down about $600/month in income. Erk!

oh and I forgot...maybe get back into theatre some more for the summer

Attachments

• vet term flash card.jpg
    vet term flash card.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 222
My family breeds golden retrievers, so assuming our female gets pregnant, my summer will consist of taking care of the puppies. And we'll keep a female, so once the rest of the litter goes home, it'll be training that one. I also work for other breeders watching their dogs/doing kennel work, so I'll be doing that for cash. Other than that, my brother and I are going to Israel for twelve days.

I'm going home for the summer, working full time, and saving as much money as I possibly can! I'm also planning to spend a fair amount of time up in Pullman fixing up my new home (been watching lots of HGTV in preparation for this :)) Whatever time I have left will be spent getting my horse into shape for our very first endurance race which is in August. I'd love to spend some time reading for fun too, as I haven't done that in years. One thing I don't plan on doing is studying, there will be plenty of time for that in the Fall. Summer definitely can't come soon enough!