Summer before Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saunders Veterinary Terminology-flashcards

So i finally got my flashcards and i really like them. there are 530 total, about 70 prefixes, 70 suffixes, and the rest combining froms. I think this will be great to prep this summer. it is probably something that we will all learn first semester but i think ill feel more comfortable knowing them already so ill be more confident. some of the words are easy that you would probably already know (ad lib, atrio, bacterio) and then some are more complicated that i dont know (cirrho, cerumino, chondro). The combined forms have pictures on about half of them. There are some radiographs, drawings, and real life photos of diseases or w/e the problem is. I think they are nice if you like learning from flashcards and want to prep before school.

Edit: tricolorbadness posted a picture of what the cards look like, Rubricyte. As far as the arrow pointing to the wrong thing....i dunno, but i looked it up online and it looks like that is what a rubricyte looks like, http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1&ei=87O4S_TONsL6lwe6neGVCg But i dunno, I'm sure i'll learn more in vet school haha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just bought the Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Flashcards. They have awesome illustrations. I even saw a couple that were CT slices. I've taken an anatomy class before so it was cool that some of the stuff I learned was coming back. I don't know if these cards will be as helpful if you have no background in anatomy. There aren't any OIAs. I think they will be great for review or test prep once you've already started classes. But if you want to get them to flip through for the summer, go for it.

I really want to get those flashcards now!

My summer plans are to work my butt off at Express and make enough money to cover my expenses at RVC until my loan checks go through. I'm taking August off to visit family and friends and relax/prepare for moving across the big puddle. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just bought the Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Flashcards.

i was wondering about these flashcards, but i don't have a background in anatomy so maybe i should get the terminology cards for now.

So i finally got my flashcards and i really like them.

how long did it take you to get them and where did you order them from? i was thinking of ordering them from barnes & noble to take on vacation with me (long plane ride) but it seems like it took them a while to be delivered to you :)

Finishing up my 7 year career with a start up company that is an everyday roller coater ride. Packing up/storing/selling my last possessions for my new home for the next 5 years across the Pond. Leaving July 6th and will have 2 months of nothing in Scotland before school starts.

A few short vacations to say 'goodbye' and visit old friends -- Las Vegas, Hilton Head and South Beach.

Spending the last 3 months here with friends/loved ones.....i already miss them.

how long did it take you to get them and where did you order them from? i was thinking of ordering them from barnes & noble to take on vacation with me (long plane ride) but it seems like it took them a while to be delivered to you :)

no it took me a while to post about them lol I ordered them from amazon on the 24th and they came april 1st so it was exactly one week. FREE shipping!!! i love amazon. if you pay for shipping i think it is 2 days, right?

no it took me a while to post about them lol I ordered them from amazon on the 24th and they came april 1st so it was exactly one week. FREE shipping!!! i love amazon. if you pay for shipping i think it is 2 days, right?

Yet another thing I will miss about being in NH...I live a half hour from the warehouse, so things get to me insanely quickly after I order. "Free shipping" estimates at 7-12 business days. I get things within two at the absolute latest. I only pay for shipping if I absolutely NEED it the next day.

And for the most part, Amazon is free shipping on all orders over $25. Although they're having a free trial of Prime right now, where you get free 2 day shipping for a month

I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks!!! (Thanks grandma!) :)

If anyone here isn't sure what they will be doing, they should wanted on over to the "World Vets Volunteer" thread... ;)

Darn, you beat me - I was just about to suggest the same thing.

As far as vocab study material goes, I've got Christenson's Veterinary Medical Terminology book and I love it. I'm about half way through now. If it's been awhile since you studied anything, I recommend it because each chapter also is a mini review of the anatomy/physiology of the body system in question and biochem basics associated with the system, etc. So you're not just getting vocabulary. I've done a whole lot of "oh yeah, I remember that now...." and it's been 3+ years since I've taken most of this stuff.