Summer Classes - huge no no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gmw1386

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I didn't start my major my freshman year I'm forced to take physics and orgo in the same year in time for the MCATs. I got a C in chem1, so I'm not going to lie, orgo is scaring me. I'm still not going to have finished either of them by the time I take the MCATs in the spring.

I was thinking about taking one of the them over the summer cause the credits transfer but not the grade as long as I get a C or higher. I would probably take physics because the physics prof (yes, there's only one) has a history of being horrible and one of the nastiest men ever. I already despise him after only meeting him for 5 minutes.

Do schools frown upon taking this approach to classes? I would assume so and wouldn't do it unless told otherwise. My advisor is very against it.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking them the same year is not a big deal...it will be fresh in your head. While everyone else is studying what they learned in previous years, you'll be doing it. It worked for me.

Gmw1386 said:
Because I didn't start my major my freshman year I'm forced to take physics and orgo in the same year in time for the MCATs. I got a C in chem1, so I'm not going to lie, orgo is scaring me. I'm still not going to have finished either of them by the time I take the MCATs in the spring.

I was thinking about taking one of the them over the summer cause the credits transfer but not the grade as long as I get a C or higher. I would probably take physics because the physics prof (yes, there's only one) has a history of being horrible and one of the nastiest men ever. I already despise him after only meeting him for 5 minutes.

Do schools frown upon taking this approach to classes? I would assume so and wouldn't do it unless told otherwise. My advisor is very against it.

I took a summer gen bio class at CC and a physics at my university. It didn't affect my ability to get accepted. Take em when you can take em.

Members don't see this ad :)
chickens said:
Taking them the same year is not a big deal...it will be fresh in your head. While everyone else is studying what they learned in previous years, you'll be doing it. It worked for me.

So would you say that someone who takes them at the same time would get the same grade regardless of taking the two at the same time? Cause I rarely think that my grades would be any different had my other classes been easier

You do know that all your pre-req's do not have to be done when you take the mcat or apply to medical school. You only have to have them done when you START medical school. :)

Just because you did bad in chem 1..doesnt mean you'll do bad in orgo...they are TOTALLY different...I got A's in gen chem..but struggled with orgo....and i know some that did really well in orgo that did bad in gen chem..Just work hard and try your best :)

JEDSAM1 said:
You do know that all your pre-req's do not have to be done when you take the mcat or apply to medical school. You only have to have them done when you START medical school. :)

but don't you need to take physics for the MCATs?
i assume a review course can only teach you so much

Gmw1386 said:
but don't you need to take physics for the MCATs?
i assume a review course can only teach you so much

You know your abilities better than anyone, but it sounds like you are rushing things. Yes, you need Physics for the MCAT. If you were to skimp on anything, you could take Physics II after the MCAT if you are dedicated enough to learn the necessary material on your own. Also, based solely on your post, you got a C in general chemistry and are "scared" of orgo. Your physical science section is composed entirely of gen chem and physics and maybe 40% of the biological science section is orgo. April is going to be here before you know it. I would venture to guess that it would be better for you to wait until August for the MCAT and learn what you need to before you take it. Yes, this may put you at a disadvantage depending on the schools you are applying to, but probably less of a risk than bombing the MCAT. Just thinking of having to take that thing twice sends shivers down my spine, I don't know how people do it and maintain their sanity. You said yourself that you assume that schools will not like your plan and you are being advised otherwise. It is better to go slower and do well than to rush and do poorly.

I took Chem and Physics during a summer. I didn't have much of a life and it was more difficult because it's accelerated. (Chapter a day for 3 hrs + labs) But I was totally involved in the subjects and I learned it better that way than taking it with 18+ other credit hours. But like it was stated earlier, only you know your abilities. Good luck. By the way, I would highly recommend that you take these classes before the MCAT or you will probably get owned. :thumbup:

I took several classes during the summer, but only one prereq, and I have been accepted.

Just make sure you do really well. As summer classes, at least at my university, tend to be more accelerated and, thus, more difficult than normal semester classes, they may represent the med school curriculum a bit more.

Gmw1386 said:

Don't let that C in General Chemistry I scare you. Organic Chemistry is "different" than Gen Chem. I too got Cs in my Gen Chem but managed to get As in Organic Chem I and II. I actually liked it :eek: .

You can take any classes at a CC, yes even prereqs, without having it affecting your application negatively. If you take them during the summer you can use the excuse of "because it costs less." Seriously, if you get As in your CC classes there shouldn't be any problem. G'luck.

I had ZERO physics and scored a 22 mcat. However, I plan on doing better in April.

Gmw1386 said:

I took physics I, II along with the labs over the summer. It worked for me, 3 acceptances thus far and I was only asked about it at one of the interviews I was on. I replied, "It was the caliber as was available at my College..." I aggree, take them when you can.

Yeah my advisor is dead set against them, but it's going to be so much better for me in the long run. Thanks guys.