Summer classes in the Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinC9132

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the midst of completing my pre-reqs at San Francisco State, and I need to find a way to take 2 classes (plus labs) this summer. Specifically, OChem 1 (plus lab) and some upper division bio class plus lab (like Physio, Microbio, etc).

My questions: a) has anyone out there taken two lab courses over a summer before? and b) does anyone know of a good place in the SF bay area to do this? I've been thinking about San Jose State, Berkeley extension, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

UC Berkeley offers open enrollment during the summer, so anyone can take classes there. That's probably your best bet. You can also do it at any of the community colleges in the east bay (Merritt, Laney, Berkeley City College) or in the city (SF City College). I don't know whether the state colleges (SF State, Calstate Hayward) offer the classes you want over the summer, but it would probably be worth checking out.

I took O-Chem II last summer at Berkeley. It was pretty intense, lab twice a week and lecture every day over a 8 week period. Doesn't really leave much time for another class if you want to do well in the course. Although I did manage to find time to study for the aug mcats, so maybe it can be done.