Summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ybalison

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting. I'm hoping to apply for post-bacc programs this fall (Scripps and City College are my first choices -- I'm bi-costal). I was planning to take pre-calculus at a local school over the summer, since many schools seem to want to you take calculus, and I haven't had any math since high school eight years ago. I was an English major in college. Unfortunately, I work full time and there doesn't seem to be a pre-calculus course that fits my schedule. Should I take another course, like statistics or psychology to beef up my application and get back in school-mode, or should I save my time and money and focus on something else this summer? I'm already planning to do some volunteering and/or shadowing.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what class you are applying (Pre or Post MCAT 2015), psychology may be a requirement. It appears with the MCAT changes, some programs maybe adding pre-requisites. Start thinking about what schools you might be applying to and do some research.

There is a thread about getting back into school mode that lists a lot of free on-line courses (they don't count for credit) but it is an alternative to going in cold and getting a less than ideal grade. The thread was within the last week, so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

All I can say is that pre-calculus over the semester was tough, I would think over the summer it would be unbearable.

Stats or psychology should be fine, though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non trad also, and my first class back after 5 years out of college, was last week. I'm taking general chem. I wish I would have taken an easier class to ease myself back in to the college/study thing. Also my math is not up to snuff at all!! I would def recommend taking a math class before your chem sets , especially if math is not your strongest area. I was always able to get good grades without studying, and now I feel like I study all the time! ( I'm taking a bio and lab also). So I would most def try and get some math in. I don't know how long you have been out, but even if its just some sort of review math it would be better than nothing. Good luck!!

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking that I'll take psychology at the local college, and try to take a pre-calc course online as well. The math is material I've already learned, at least, so I just need to brush up.